• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

As an ODI opener : Ganguly or Anwar ... AND WHY?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Anwar has a superb test record against Aus its just that in ODI's he always tended to come up against them during his lean period.

in 90's SA was Pakistan's bogey nomatter how well they were playing they were always caught cold by SA, infact in S.Waugh autobio he mentioned that on the eve of WC final they watched tapes of previos Pakistan-SA games to observe what strategy they applied against Pak and the next day he went with similar game plan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Saeed. More stylish and stronger against the short ball.
I dont know about more stylish but I agree about the short ball observation.

Anwar also played on the off side of the backfoot with a straighter bat than Ganguly who tended to open the face of the bat and try to run down backward of square. He was caught there many times and was many times lucky it did not go to hand and that was not because of placement, just chance and the fact that in ODI's the close in fielders disappear pretty quickly.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree on this, I always felt Anwar was one of the best players of spin in the world. He never seemed too bothered by Murali, Warne, or Kumble.
Hmm. I think Ganguly managed to put them away in ODI's better.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Ganguly was an excellent player of spin bowling between 1996-2000,infact IMO he did very well against great fast bowlers too during that period despite his weakness against faster bowling.

For some reasons things changed when he became captain and he struggled against good bowlers and unfortunately that is what people remember of him now.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Have you ever seen him play spin?
Well that is why I have said that. His coming down the track and tonking them over long on and mid wicket looks good. But I have seen him look very foolish also.

YouTube - Shane Warne Makes Sourav Ganguly Look Foolish

(Yeah, I shouldn't have put this in. But it does look ridiculous)

His playing against Hogg seemed to be more of guess and pray. Well I might be biased against him. But, I will still maintain that he is not as good as the rest against spinners.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Well that is why I have said that. His coming down the track and tonking them over long on and mid wicket looks good. But I have seen him look very foolish also.

YouTube - Shane Warne Makes Sourav Ganguly Look Foolish

(Yeah, I shouldn't have put this in. But it does look ridiculous)

His playing against Hogg seemed to be more of guess and pray. Well I might be biased against him. But, I will still maintain that he is not as good as the rest against spinners.
That clip does not prove anything. Its difficult not to look 'lost' when you are stumped.

Here is KP off Afridi's bowling. You can find dozens like this.

KP stumped off Afridi

Cruxdude

International Debutant
That clip does not prove anything. Its difficult not to look 'lost' when you are stumped.

Here is KP off Afridi's bowling. You can find dozens like this.

KP stumped off Afridi
Yeah I know it proves nothing. But I just wanted to put it in. That is why I put that line in the brackets under it.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I prefer Ganguly over Anwar. Why? He appeared more solid as an opener. I rate Ganguly very highly purely as an ODI player.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I didn't mean the video as any sort of stupid proof. Just thought I would put it in. It is just that I don't believe Ganguly picks a spinner well out of his hand. Its just my belief and I have said it.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I am not as old as other posters here and so I have watched lesser batsmen play. From my limited knowledge, I feel that there is no better player of slow left arm bowling than Ganguly. Just looked invincible when playing SLA bowlers.