• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Articles by Jager

Jager

International Debutant
Not sure what the rules are regarding this - I've been writing a lot recently for my blog & I thought I'd share my cricket articles here.

I am studying journalism at La Trobe in Melbourne, but these pieces are purely for fun/entertainment. They aren't related to coursework or moneymaking in any way.

I'm always open to criticism & feedback, I want to become a better writer. Please go ahead.

Current
The Brothers Compton - The Brothers Compton | sportsreligious

-----

Archive

Bailey's Defining Summer - Bailey's Defining Summer | sportsreligious

When Steyn Wasn't Worthy - When Steyn Wasn't Worthy | sportsreligious

A Sobering Thought on Clarke - A Sobering Thought on Clarke | sportsreligious

The Archie Jackson Way - The Archie Jackson Way | sportsreligious

Khawaja Over Cowan a Sideways Selection - Khawaja Over Cowan a Sideways Selection | sportsreligious

Last edited by a moderator:

Jager

International Debutant
The timing was just a coincidence actually, GF's piece was unreal though & I was definitely thinking of it when I wrote it

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Know it wasn't the focus of the question, but love the Rossi pierce, was having a similar conversation about him just yesterday. Marques is something special though and apparently the younger and more fearless you are the better you can be.

Jager

International Debutant
Know it wasn't the focus of the question, but love the Rossi pierce, was having a similar conversation about him just yesterday. Marques is something special though and apparently the younger and more fearless you are the better you can be.
Thanks mate! It's interesting how he's changed. I have no doubts in my mind he was the greatest ever in his prime, but there's something missing now. Marquez will win five world championships IMO (huge call), he's something else. More talented than Lorenzo/Pedrosa & on the best bike in the paddock

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks mate! It's interesting how he's changed. I have no doubts in my mind he was the greatest ever in his prime, but there's something missing now. Marquez will win five world championships IMO (huge call), he's something else. More talented than Lorenzo/Pedrosa & on the best bike in the paddock
Beter bike than Lorenzo, not sure about better rider.

watson

Banned
I really like the following lines from the 'The Archie Jackson Way'. Both are interesting for different reasons;

.....but he was never an artist like Jackson was – his silky, free-flowing drives enthralling the memories of those lucky enough to have witnessed them. One concerned himself with numbers, the other with beauty and freedom – a scientist next to a painter.

Even inches from death, Jackson recognized the unparalleled achievements of his friend – taming the Don. There were no hard feelings, for he understood Larwood was just doing what he was told. Such was the nature of the man.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All the articles are pleasant to read, and held my concern from the onset. Top job. As everyone else, I loved the Jackson article. I would love it if you could write a piece on how insufferable Katich's treatment has been :)

As an aside, I remembered being enthralled with Rossi's season against Gebernau that you mentioned. It was my first time following MotoGP and I could only imagine what I had missed the past few years with Rossi. It felt very weird to me as to why he moved to Yamaha. I stopped following a few years ago, as none of the champions really excited me, same as what happened when Alonso's run ended in F1.

Jager

International Debutant
You and I are similar with the Alonso/Rossi love, two giants of their repective sports. The 2005 MotoGP season was something else, time and time again Rossi seemed to trump Gibernau. I remember they were neck and neck at Brno on the last lap when Gibernau ran out of fuel, it was hard to believe.

As for the article suggestion, thanks a lot - really love when people suggest things to write, nice to know what people would like to see. I'll definitely look into it - I have a bit to say about the treatment of players because of their age so it'd work in nicely with that - what do you think?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
New article on George Bailey's test aspirations.

Bailey's Defining Summer
- Bailey?s Defining Summer | sportsreligious
Well done mate. You just need to fix up in the second para: failing to or unable to rotate the strike.

I've been a Bailey admirer for a long time and do agree its an important year for him. Unfortunately, his success in the ODI team means he just doesn't get the same opportunities as others in the Shield.

Jager

International Debutant
Well done mate. You just need to fix up in the second para: failing to or unable to rotate the strike.

I've been a Bailey admirer for a long time and do agree its an important year for him. Unfortunately, his success in the ODI team means he just doesn't get the same opportunities as others in the Shield.
Cheers for the correction, fixed it up then.

I don't think we need different selectors but they definitely need to overhaul the selection process - seems like players are being picked on talent/peak potential rather than on whether they are the best player available at the time. Starc, Agar & Henriques would be good examples

Jager

International Debutant
For the record, always happy to take article suggestions for sports outside of cricket too - F1, MotoGP, AFL & Football are the sports I have enough knowledge to write on

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You and I are similar with the Alonso/Rossi love, two giants of their repective sports. The 2005 MotoGP season was something else, time and time again Rossi seemed to trump Gibernau. I remember they were neck and neck at Brno on the last lap when Gibernau ran out of fuel, it was hard to believe.

As for the article suggestion, thanks a lot - really love when people suggest things to write, nice to know what people would like to see. I'll definitely look into it - I have a bit to say about the treatment of players because of their age so it'd work in nicely with that - what do you think?
Yeah, something went away with the dawn of the Hamilton/Vettel era.

I don't really have a view point in general regarding treatment of players based on their age. Individual cases are quite different. But yes, different countries reward/punish different age groups. India rewards young batsmen but not bowlers. Australia the opposite. In Katich, they missed a massive trick.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Stop writing about things I've been talking about in the last week to a much better standard than I ever could. :(

Joking, this is some genuinely accomplished writing. If you can spread the word about your blog maybe this won't be strictly non-moneymaking for long.

Last edited: