• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are the Aussies getting back to the attitude era?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Are the Aussies getting back to their attitude era of 1990s where they dominated and crushed every single opponent? Or is this WC win a flash in the pan and teams will continue to equally compete like the last few years?

Antihippy

International Debutant
In all formats? Our batting is still fragile as **** in tests and as much as I like lyon, he's no warne.

Same goes for ODIs really.

Gob

International Coach
what's the format?think they'll dominate the lo stuff cos there's so much fire power with the bat and the ball . as far as test cricket goes (which is of course what matters), they've certainly got a problem playing in the subcontinent. needs to fix that some how.

BigBrother

U19 12th Man
I think any respectable Aussie fan knows that the WC win hardly means they are back to dominating cricket, especially in tests. Not even at home tbh, although some pitches where their bowlers have a little bit to work with might help with that.

In ODI's, it's about winning internationally now. If Starc continues bowling crazy like this I don't see how they won't though. They pushed India in India to 3-2 and Starc wasn't a part of it...

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
Actually do think our ODI team is comfortably better than our test team. Clean swept pakistan in the UAE too. Didn't to too hot against south africa in zimbabwe though.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I was speaking overall. In ODIs, they threaten to dominate one and all with 15 or so players in their team of XI counting the allrounders. In tests, they just won India easily with Lyon playing a good part, TPC is slowly becoming a second Ponting in terms of consistency and with Starc at his notorious best (Yes, its in ODIs but I feel he will translate this to tests as well), the fast bowling unit also has a good making of an ATG one.

I personally would like the current trend to continue where 4-5 teams have equal chance every time they face off instead of the throwback to my childhood days of a single team domination.

U19 12th Man
The current test team isn't a dominant one, but when you look at the talent coming up from underneath, the ODI result may the harbinger of something bigger.

I think a barometer is the spin depth. There's suddenly a fleet of young spinners, all "good enough" to become better players than Lyon if things go well for them. A couple of them have higher ceilings than that too.

There's genuine talent in the latest crop of batsmen, though their numbers are in flux as their games assemble (lots of good bowlers testing them at the moment too). There's also Jake Doran and Sam Whiteman with the gloves. The quicks are stupidly stacked.

There is evidence of an upturn. But dominance? We'll have a better idea if we're standing here in a season or two and they haven't lost a series.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the batting that will stop them from dominating imo.

Smith is unstoppable, Warner is excellent and Clarke when he's fit is Clarke. Now those three may be enough with contributions by others, but to be a dominating side they need a couple more to be more dependable.

OverratedSanity

It's the batting that will stop them from dominating imo.

Smith is unstoppable, Warner is excellent and Clarke when he's fit is Clarke. Now those three may be enough with contributions by others, but to be a dominating side they need a couple more to be more dependable.
Yeah and Clarke's career is almost done anyway.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Even the world cup win was strange. Despite only having one close game (the loss to NZ), the aren't a lot of guys who had a "good" WC.

Smith, Starc and Maxwell were huge... Everyone else was just okayish.

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
I dont think so.

As i've said before,apart from 1-2 players,like most of the team are poor players of spin unlike the great Australian team of the 90's and early 00's.So this is likely to bear an effect in both tests and the shorter versions(albeit to a lesser extent).

And as mentioned,they dont have a 'top' frontline spinner in their squad too.

Having said that,they'll continue to be the premium team in ODI's purely because of the competivity/quality of other teams.NZ only now have had some success,but they're going to be tested in different conditions.India and SA are flat track bullies especially the former.The rest are unconvincing.
So you look around the rest of the teams and think Australia would be able to overcome most of the teams maybe not in a dominating fashion this time round.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Even the world cup win was strange. Despite only having one close game (the loss to NZ), the aren't a lot of guys who had a "good" WC.

Smith, Starc and Maxwell were huge... Everyone else was just okayish.
This is true, but when you take into account the washout v Bangladesh, a truncated match v Scotland and a few small chases toward the end of the tournament you could see that some of the batsmen could easily have had better tournaments, at least statistically.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They're a bloody good side, but they don't have the kind of stupid consistency ala McGrath and Warne to be dominant.

Top_Cat

I dont think so.

As i've said before,apart from 1-2 players,like most of the team are poor players of spin unlike the great Australian team of the 90's and early 00's.So this is likely to bear an effect in both tests and the shorter versions(albeit to a lesser extent).
Most of the 90's guys weren't great shakes against the turning ball either. Difference was, a lot of them worked on it enough to not be deer-in-headlights at least. A few of the current lot have it in them to be reasonable players of spin but just aren't for some reason. Rad Haddin, for example, looks like he'd be a natural but ain't.