• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Xuhaib said:
Got this guy for 40K,what do you guys think is he a good buy and how many nets should i give him.

Amrit Sagren - 17 yo, BT Rating=4,311
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, fresh
A defensive player with superb leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: mediocre Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: competent Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: woeful
He looks ok for an all rounder apart from his consistency, but that will improve slowly with training. Depending on how many nets you have free i would give him a Batting and Bowling atleast and maybe Fitness. If you want to play him as an all rounder pretty quickly then give him a Fielding instead of Fitness untill his consistency pops to woeful.

Bobisback

International Regular
chaminda_00 said:
Crap why did you guys tell me that, i got no nets free. Can anyone give me an exact number of weeks till he pops.

Also anyone who wants a cheap respectable bat, there is a couple on the market:
- Roger Cochrane - 2 hours left
- Gaz Gall - 2 Days Left
I might give Rog a go. Depends how expensive he gets. And i will forget.

Also, im up for a friendly, someone challenge me, wherever against whoever.

Team - Bobisback

Xuhaib

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
He looks ok for an all rounder apart from his consistency, but that will improve slowly with training. Depending on how many nets you have free i would give him a Batting and Bowling atleast and maybe Fitness. If you want to play him as an all rounder pretty quickly then give him a Fielding instead of Fitness untill his consistency pops to woeful.
I already have a good batting all-rounder so my priorities are to turn him in to a bowling allrounder and as for the nets i have 2 free right now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
My supremely average squad, since spamming is all the rage.

Rob Aldridge - 25 yo, BT Rating=3,381
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, invigorated
A destructive player with strong leadership skills and feeble experience.
Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: feeble Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: feeble

Allan Bell - 21 yo, BT Rating=5,167
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
An attacking player with respectable leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: respectable Concentration: woeful
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: respectable
Fielding: abysmal

Leon Boosey - 24 yo, BT Rating=5,939
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, respectable batting form, proficient bowling form, lively
A steady player with abysmal leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: respectable Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: feeble Concentration: woeful
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: competent

Gregory Boyd - 26 yo, BT Rating=1,049
LH Batsman, LF Bowler, respectable batting form, mediocre bowling form, invigorated
A cautious player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: feeble Wicket Keeping: abysmal
Batting: worthless Concentration: abysmal
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: feeble

Simon Camilleri - 20 yo, BT Rating=6,323
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, proficient batting form, proficient bowling form, moderate
A steady player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: respectable Concentration: worthless

Rory Campese - 27 yo, BT Rating=1,252
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, mediocre batting form, competent bowling form, invigorated
A destructive player with competent leadership skills and woeful experience.
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: feeble
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: woeful

Rob Champness - 20 yo, BT Rating=1,436
RH Batsman, RFM Bowler, competent batting form, mediocre bowling form, invigorated
A defensive player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
Batting: abysmal Concentration: feeble

Niall Coulson - 21 yo, BT Rating=4,535
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, proficient batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
A steady player with abysmal leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: abysmal Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: woeful Concentration: proficient
Bowling: woeful Consistency: feeble

Joe Field - 22 yo, BT Rating=2,345
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, mediocre batting form, mediocre bowling form, energetic
A defensive player with mediocre leadership skills and worthless experience.
Stamina: competent Wicket Keeping: mediocre

Jimmy Folkes - 25 yo, BT Rating=6,154
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
A cautious player with feeble leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: feeble
Bowling: proficient Consistency: abysmal
Fielding: mediocre

Max Hogg - 25 yo, BT Rating=2,713
LH Batsman, LM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
A cautious player with proficient leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Bob Mabaso - 23 yo, BT Rating=3,577
RH Batsman, RF Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, invigorated
An attacking player with woeful leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: competent Concentration: feeble
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: mediocre

Seamus Martyn - 19 yo, BT Rating=8,639
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, competent batting form, respectable bowling form, moderate
A defensive player with abysmal leadership skills and worthless experience.
Bowling: competent Consistency: proficient
Fielding: respectable

Stuart Nash - 19 yo, BT Rating=4,155
RH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, competent batting form, competent bowling form, fresh
A destructive player with worthless leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: competent
Batting: feeble Concentration: feeble
Bowling: abysmal Consistency: mediocre
Fielding: mediocre

Kevin Phelan - 23 yo, BT Rating=1,899
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, invigorated
A defensive player with mediocre leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Tom Tait - 20 yo, BT Rating=3,950
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, proficient batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
A steady player with strong leadership skills and abysmal experience.
Batting: feeble Concentration: mediocre

Glenn Waterworth - 26 yo, BT Rating=3,628
LH Batsman, LFM Bowler, respectable batting form, competent bowling form, lively
A defensive player with feeble leadership skills and worthless experience.
Batting: abysmal Concentration: woeful
Bowling: feeble Consistency: respectable

Grady Whittingham - 17 yo, BT Rating=849
LH Batsman, LH Spin Bowler, mediocre batting form, mediocre bowling form, invigorated
A cautious player with worthless leadership skills and worthless experience.
Bowling: woeful Consistency: woeful

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Seamus Martyn - 19 yo, BT Rating=8,639
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, competent batting form, respectable bowling form, moderate
A defensive player with abysmal leadership skills and worthless experience.
Bowling: competent Consistency: proficient
Fielding: respectable
That's a decent talent. Think you ought to start getting some youth pulls and cheap 18-year-olds though.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty bad starting squad, just Folkes and Martyn really who are worth training.

Usual stuff of picking up cheap mediocre/competent players on the market applies - keeping it cheap means you can't waste too much money while you're starting out and learning.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, there's plenty of guys on the market who sell for next to nothing that are still better than what I've got. Buying them and firing the utter crap as I go.

I'm training Martyn and Camilleri, since Folkes is a bit older and I didn't think he'd get much out of it.

andyc

Decent starting squad IMO, even got a proficient in there, should be fairly happy with that. As Vimes said, you should be training Martyn, but should probably be looking on the transfer market for a few young (sub 20) players with mediocre or competent primary skills. Just checked out your league as well, and noticed that you've got Gelman in your league. Is that the first time two CWers have been in the same league?

Edit: Oh my, and someone called Travis_Teh too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny that three of us were in the same league.

edit: Incidentally, I've bought two guys on the transfer market and my squad is still sitting at 14 after I fired four players earlier. How long does it usually take for them to come in?

andyc

They normally come in straight away, but it's been doing that a bit recently. Just give it a bit and they'll be there.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, there's plenty of guys on the market who sell for next to nothing that are still better than what I've got. Buying them and firing the utter crap as I go.

I'm training Martyn and Camilleri, since Folkes is a bit older and I didn't think he'd get much out of it.
You should probably train all 3 (as you lose a lot of training with duplicate nets - second batting net would only be worth about 65-70% of the first batting net and so forth). I hadn't noticed Camilleri's keeping, so that means their concentration should catch up faster (about 1 pop every 8 weeks) when you train batting and keeping. Folkes will take a full season on bowling net to go up a full level (they'll probably pop in about 12-13 weeks because they're already about proficient + 35% bowling) but their consistency will pop fairly quickly and as an asset if you increase him from proficient to strong with the consistency pops you're looking an increase of around 500k in value - you wouldn't get as much as a financial return on the other two because they're only competent and respectable even tho they're younger.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Alright, cheers.

Right now I've got Martyn on 2 bowling, 1 fielding and 1 fitness, Camilleri on 1 batting, 1 keeping and 1 fitness, and Folkes on 1 bowling, 1 fielding and 1 fitness.

Is that about right? I'm not too sure about the nets yet, but I gather that training everyone in fitness and fielding helps with concentration/consistency and stamina.

andyc

Yeah, fitness helps with stamina, and fielding helps with secondaries (concentration and consistency), while also improving fielding (obviously). However, keeping nets also help with secondaries at the same rate as a fielding net. But logically, a non-keeper should receive a fielding net instead of a keeping net, due to the fact that they don't need actual keeping ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.