• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AussieDominance said:
Code:
Adamc  1,145 
andyc  966 
Scaly piscine  882 
GoT_SpIn  731 
AussieDominance  501 
Robertinho  496 
PY  453 
ash chaulk  400 
33/3from3.3  379 
superkingdave  376 
Jamee999  298 
nibbs  289 
cricketboy29  283 
dontcloseyoureyes  258 
marc71178  231 
roseboy64  203 
mikeW  198 
chaminda_00  189 
Hoggy31  178 
brenoevo  162 
trevor_vayro  139 
cameeel  132 
Kweek  124 
Samuel_Vimes  115 
nooga99  114 
Tom Halsey  78 
Agent TBY  70 
alternative  58 
NZTailender  53 
Cloete  52 
kears_falcon_9  41 
BlackCap_Fan  40 
Jungle Jumbo  37 
Bobisback  36 
The Baconator  34 
rolande  28 
Clapo  28 
Xuhaib  23 
lord_of_darkness  22 
DJellett  13 
steds  12 
thewizard1o1  10 
James  6 
Laurrz  6 
chooka_nick  4 
Barney Rubble  4 
bumpuss  4 
chris.hinton  4 
burkey_1988  3 
WindiesRulz  3 
legspinner  3 
King_Ponting  3 
Deja moo  2 
Skooks  2 
Pratyush  2 
pasag  2 
kuifje  2 
Blewy  2 
auscricket  2 
benchmark00  2 
Bilal91  1 
gio  1 
Son Of Coco  1 
vijay_chandra  1 
vic_orthdox  1 
Slats4ever  1
Adam out in front followed by andy!
Such a relevant, meaningful post. And Trev, thanks for the advice about my batting. I'll try opening with Tedstone, given that he bowls spin and has resp. stamina, he should still be able to bowl well enough. And as for Thatcher, I'm not really expecting him to open for me, at least not at the moment. I'm training him up to eventaully take over from both my captain and keeper, and currently he's only taken over from the captain, still need to get his keeping ability up though. And will a look at your nettage problem, just gonna take me a while to sort through it all.

Johnners

Got a bit of an orders dilema here, i'm playing away this week, against Thommos Tigers on a dusty pitch.

His ratings have been as follows for the last few matches he has won.

Code:
Thommos Tigers 
Top Order: competent 
Middle Order: mediocre 
Lower Order: worthless 
Seam Bowling: feeble 
Spin Bowling: respectable 
Fielding: feeble
Currently i have Ludlow opening (Comp/Med with Med Stamina, attacking) with Stroud (Resp/Comp with Comp stamina, steady). Coming in at 3 is Nieuwenhuis (Comp/Med/Med, attacking) , with Rose (Resp/Woeful/Abysmal, destructive) at 4, Appleyard (Comp/Comp/Med, Steady) at 5, Meyer (Resp/Woeful/Resp, attacking) at 6, and Taylor (Comp/Comp/Woeful, steady) at 7.

My question is, should i revamp my batting lineup by opening with Rose & Ludlow to take advantage of his seamers (wages, 812 & 419) and put Stroud back in the middle order with Meyer to steady the line-up in case of early breakthroughs, and to attempt to combat their spinners (wages 8000, 8000, 500)?

I would like to move Meyer up higher but he's also my best bowler, so i need to leave him at 6/7 to keep him fresh for bowling.

Also, I currently have two spinners, both are only mediocre primaires though :(. Knight is the better of the two with Mediocre/Mediocre & Resp. stamina. Do i continue with an attack of 4 seamers, Meyer (Resp,Feeble,Resp), Groves (Resp, Woeful,feeble), Savage (Resp, Resp, Abysmal) & Walton (Resp, Woeful,Competant) and Knight, or do is it worth tossing in Kandage (Med/Med/Med) in the place of a seamer to try and take advantage of the dusty pitch??

Any help appreciated :)

andyc

Okay Trev, about your net situation. I'm basing this on you only having 8 free nets rather than 10. Once you get 10, it'll be a lot easier.

Firstly, given that he's your youngest trainee, I'd have Bennett on, at the very least, two nets, preferrably batting and fielding, although once his concentration gets a bit better, you could probably just change it to two batting nets. Unfortunately, having him on two batting nets then means that one of your 7 remaining trainees has to miss out on a net. I'll just go ahead and say what I'd have each of the others on before actually deciding who gets the short straw.

I'd then have Brewers and Bridges me (haha, still gets me) on either one fitness or one bowling each. Given that they're both good bowlers, respectable stamina would be a good idea, especially with FC coming up (hopefully). If you went with a fitness net, once they did get to respectable, I'd consider changing it to a bowling net for each of them. Carey obviously needs better concentration, so maybe a fielding net would be best off for him. However, like you said, he also needs better stamina, while his batting doesn't stand up with the others. Regardless, if he was getting a net, I'd give him either a fielding net, or maybe a batting net, so that you'd increase his batting along with concentration.

Likewise, Greening needs better concentration to go with his relatively high batting skill, so probably a fielding net. Respectable stamina would also be nice, given his batting skill, so any spare nets could also go to fitness. That said, he seems to be your best bat (from what you've posted, that is), so a batting net might be a good idea instead of fielding, especially since he's one of your younger trainees. You should be aiming at getting him to, at the very, very least, competent concentration and respectable stamina.

For Noon, it depends what you're looking for, a keeper or a batsman. IMO, he needs a keeping net over a batting net, because his keeping is decent, but not excellent, while his secondaries definitely need some improvement. A batting net would be nice as well, but definitely a keeping net. Then we've got Patel, who's much easier, just give him a batting net, cause his stamina and concentration are pretty decent as they are. Finally, Staveley could do with respectable stamina, so a fitness net might be a good idea, though batting wouldn't hurt either.

So basically, I just wrote four paragraphs full of indecision. In short, this would be my net set up if I was in your situation:
Bennett- 1 fielding, 1 batting
Brewers- 1 bowling/stamina (until respectable)
Bridges m- 1 bowling/stamina (until respectable))
Greening- 1 fielding/batting
Noon- 1 keeping (then one extra batting when it's free)
Patel- 1 batting
Staveley- 1 batting/fitness (until respectable)

I've left Carey out, simply because he needs better stamina, batting AND concentration and you don't see to have the available nets, so it might be a good idea to just bat him down the order. Even though I said you should get most of your players up to respectable stamina, the jury's still out on what will cut it next season in FC, and competent will most likely be alright, so I'd probably be tempted to just improve their primaries right now.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Tar Andy, that's not a million miles away from what I was thinking myself actually, the only differences being that I'd decided to shelve fitness nets until another Fat Camp at the end of the season, I was going to give Noon both a WK and batting net, and I'd rather give Greening a WK net for a while, as opposed to a fielding, because he's already Prof Field, which is plenty good enough and I don't want to pay for any higher than that! Interesting you think Patel is worth a batting net too? I'm undecided - On the one hand he's 21yo now, and I could probably get more change out of training a 17yo Comp, but on the other hand, given his excellent captaincy, and solid fielding and secondaries, he's probably going to be in my team for a long time to come, so it makes sense to get him as good as he could possibly be.

Also, after I wrote the advice I gave you, I had another thought. Scaly's got a theory about there being a hidden in-game morale factor in the match engine, whereby morale is lost after each wicket, leading to a spiralling decline in form and the kind'a collapses which appear to be about this season. I've no idea if he's right, but if he is, then what I told you to do would be very dangerous, as the weaker players could get blown away, and Griffin, Canning et al may become sucked into the batting collapse morale vortex?

So In Short, if it were me, I'd probably stick with what I told you in the first place, but bear in mind that Scaly knows a lot more about the game than me!

Decisive bunch aren't we?:-)

Cheers, Later, Trev

PS, what was Adam's link all about? My computer wouldn't let me open it? I hope it was nothing dirty, as I'm at work, and the message said that 'The Webmaster has been informed!!!'

Last edited:

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha don't worry Trev, it was something to do with the Futurama TV show, it came up with the "webmaster has been informed" message for me too.

I think there may be something to that theory of Scaly's - I've actually said something similar, but that I thought there was "momentum" in BT games, because when two even teams are playing, I find wickets tend to fall in clumps.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Whoops, sorry Trev. It was an audio clip from Futurama (it said 'Interesting stuff...stay tuned for more Tales Of Interest!' - probably won't make much sense unless you're a Futurama fan).

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh yes, I see!

Lay off Ausie! I like the little pecker, he reminds me of my guide-dog! He may well fall asleep on top of your nicely folded ironing, p*ss on the kitchen floor, and jump up at you with muddy paws while you're trying to have a serious conversation - But he's always there when there's no-one else to talk to, and when you can't be arsed to get up off the sofa, all you've got to say is 'Fetch', and he'll come running back with your score, or the text of some link I can't read! So Ausie, Good Lad! Have a biscuit!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
just got this guy for 300k

Bryan Tomlinson (946327)
RH Batsman, RH Spin Bowler, respectable batting form, respectable bowling form, lively
An attacking player with mediocre leadership skills and worthless experience.

Plays For: VCC
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 8,694
Wages: £1,071 p/w
Stamina: respectable Wicket Keeping: feeble
Batting: respectable Concentration: worthless
Bowling: mediocre Consistency: mediocre

very happy with him, although im a bit worried about the worthless concentration...

andyc

Just sold Ricky Heard for 1,000. I think that leaves me with only one member of my original team (Sutton)

Ricky Heard (276427)
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, feeble batting form, strong bowling form, sublime
A steady player with worthless leadership skills and mediocre experience.

Plays For: Magical Ponies
Nationality: Australia
Battrick Rating: 3,732
Wages: £623 p/w
Stamina: mediocre Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: abysmal Concentration: feeble
Bowling: competent Consistency: abysmal

Took 57 wickets @ 22.12 from 34 games, including the first Ponies' 5-fer. Also once bowled five maidens in a row. Fair gun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.