• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Archived [10/08/07] Battrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Got my play-off v Sulieman Seargeant in 20 mins, going to sleep now though. Not really fussed what the result is, happy to play in div II if need be.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Allan better stay in Australia if I get screwed here after scoring 381.

Finally a wicket...

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Good job Alan doesn't have a house in England anymore. :p

Anyway, adios amigos, good luck on Sunday Andy, may Canning tread on a ball warming up. Not sure what's going to happen to my Twenty20 games.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Bollocks! I don't want Bennett to sell now, as the all-rounder I wanted to buy is well out of my price-range, at £1.5M, and the other two seamers I'm interested in are just about affordable without cashing in Bennett.

Hey-ho! Means I'm going to spend Christmas Eve trying to buy him back then! That's going to cost me a new dress! Not that there's any bids on him so far, fingers crossed.

Well, despite the fact that most of my colleagues are in the pub already, I still have a rugby preview report to compile for this evening's programme, so if I don't get another chance to write, then all have a lovely Christmas...Or Eid-ul- Adha or Hanukkah come to that!

Later, Trev

Scaly piscine

3 overs into the slog overs and no wicket, if I had their ridiculous batting lineup against quality bowling I'd be all out by now.

Scaly piscine

Code:
The Lost Boys v Scaly Piscine CC (772576) 

Date: 22/12/2006 Ground: The Lost Boys CG 
Pitch: Hard and Fast  Weather: Sunny 

Scaly Piscine CC won the toss and elected to bat. 
First Innings of: Scaly Piscine CC (go for it!)  
Name                              Runs Balls 4s 6s  
Packer       st. Pitcher b. Kent    173 152 16 3 
Wheat               not  out        185 136 21 0 
Armstrong (+)       not  out         17  14  1 0 
Obrien        
Dillon        
Bunn        
Lisbie        
Terry        
Horne        
Pace (*)       
Cahalane        
Extras (2b, 2lb, 0w, 2nb)             6  
Total (50.0 overs, 1 wickets)       381  

FOW          1 
Total       326          
Batsman Out  1          

Name      O M  R W nb wd 
Caeser   10 0 71 0  0  0 
Kent     10 0 94 1  0  0 
Naipaul  10 0 79 0  1  0 
Freeman  10 0 72 0  0  0 
Johnson  10 0 61 0  1  0 

First Innings of: The Lost Boys  
Name                              Runs Balls 4s 6s  
Fenton                   b. Horne   161 138 14 2 
Schofield (*)  c. Packer b. Dillon  104  80 10 1 
Lawson              not  out         91  77  9 1 
Prior               lbw  b. Horne     0   1  0 0 
Mclaren             not  out         11   5  2 0 
Naipaul        
Caeser        
Kent        
Freeman        
Johnson        
Pitcher (+)       
Extras (7b, 3lb, 2w, 1nb)            13  
Total (50.0 overs, 3 wickets)       380  

FOW          1   2   3  
Total       177 357 357        
Batsman Out  2   1   4        

Name      O M  R W nb wd 
Horne    10 0 84 2  0  0 
Pace     10 0 80 0  0  1 
Cahalane 10 0 67 0  0  1 
Dillon   10 0 71 1  1  0 
Lisbie   10 0 68 0  0  0 

Scaly Piscine CC won the toss and elected to bat. 
Reporter's Summary 
              The Lost Boys Scaly Piscine CC 
Top Order:    miraculous    quality 
Middle Order: feeble        proficient 
Lower Order:  worthless     feeble 
Seam Bowling: mediocre      strong 
Spin Bowling: respectable   superb 
Fielding:     feeble        mediocre 

MOTM: Wheat
17 was needed off the last over for them to win, over went 414411.

Scaly piscine

Anyway looking at my division I think I should finish in the top 4 fairly comfortably. I'm better than 5 of the other 7 teams, roughly equal to another (they have one level better seam bowling but their batting has no depth) and the remaining team is the standout, with exceptional-respectable batting and quality seam (with only respectable spin). I might be able to beat the standout team on a hard and fast or the like as a good spinner can make a real difference on those.

I'll be looking to sell Khuliso shortly, he'll pop to quality bowling if not next week the week after. His consistency his high mediocre, not sure exactly how high. He only has abysmal stamina, I'll be looking to list him for 2.5m I think.

trevor_vayro

U19 Vice-Captain
Congrats Scaly, Andy, and any other victorious CW people with playoffs.

V.quick question before I go, as I was supposed to be in the pub an hour ago. Bennett has a bid of £700K on him with two days bidding remaining. Should I try and buy him back? In case you've forgotten, he's 19yo Resp Stam, Prof (Nr Strong) Bat, Med Conc.

Scaly piscine

If he's near strong then I probably would buy him back (assuming you'll keep training him to at least strong), the money you lose (5% of the transfer) is going to be less than the net gain you'd make if you trained him to strong and then sold him.

Dead Badger

State 12th Man
What's with morale in this game? I've now won 5 of my last 6 matches, the only loss being to the runaway winners of my league, and my miserable bastard players are still "pessimistic". What do you want, guys? Your first season and you've beaten older teams, come solidly mid-table and won your play-off. The members know that's good; they're "animated". See? Even smurfs know better than my players.

Still, very happy with the way this season's gone. Since four members of my first team are in full time training (I'm stopping one of them soon) my first XI seems to be improving much faster than the others in my league. I reckon with a shrewdly purchased respectable bowler (and absent any annoyingly good promotees into my division), I could come third next season.

Speaking of that - anyone know how to find out who's getting promoted into a given division?

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Dead Badger said:
Speaking of that - anyone know how to find out who's getting promoted into a given division?
It's basically done like this:

1. Order all the top teams in, say, Div IV, in terms of points then NRR.
2. Order all the bottom Div III teams, again in terms of points then NRR.
3. The best IV side replaces the worst III side, then 2nd best replaces 2nd worst, and so on.
4. Once you've run out of bottom teams, you do the same for the teams that finished 7th in Div III.
5. Once you've run out of 7th-placed teams, that should be the halfway point.
6. Order all the 6th-placed teams, and give them playoffs against the next bunch of Div IV winners.
7. Repeat for 7th-placed teams.

I think that's it, anyway - the only thing I'm not 100% on is whether all the 8th- and 7th-placed teams go into the same pot or not. I dont think they do, as described above.

Depending on your division, some bright spark might have done it all and posted his lists on the Sledging board. Take it with a pinch of salt, though - I'm pretty sure the guy who did III to II has got it slightly wrong.

At the moment Adam is in a strong position.

End of Over 20: 90-2, runrate=4.50, reqrunrate=3.57 (196-10)
Dempster 5-0-19-0
Cuss* 18 (18 balls)
Watkins 32 (50 balls)

Last Wicket: Ashton c. Ritchie b. Cort 35 (FOW: 56/2)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Alright i got a question to the guys in leagues outside Australia and England. Having a look around it seems that Div II in New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan and India are fairly similar to Sri Lanka. So i was wondering what you guys think the standard is required to make Div II and secondly be competitive.

Im in Div III Sri Lanka and have come 2nd two seasons in a row, this season i came equal 1st. These are my current ratings:

Top Order: Respectable
Middle Order: Competent
Lower Order: Abysmal
Seam Bowling: Mediorce-Competent
Spin Bowling: Mediorce-Competent
Fielding: Woeful

Well the first thing i have to do is finish 1st, the team came 1st, Toolmanteam, is playing White Knights, with the loser playing in my league. There no other teams that come close to us really:

Code:
              Toolmanteam White Kinghts
Top Order:    Strong      Strong
Middle Order: Woeful      Woeful
Lower Order:  Abysmal     Woeful
Seam Bowling: Competent   Respectable
Spin Bowling: Remarkable  Mediorce
Fielding:     Woeful      Feeble
I expect Toolmanteam to win, cus of their spinner Arjuna Rodrigo (44k BT), but Knights have SL NT batsmen Aviksha Malik (360k BT), his scary. But Knights don't have anyone in their team apart from Malik. I beat Toolmanteam in our last game on TIE and having a look at Knights fixtures, similar sides to mine have beat them. So im slightly confident i can beat both of them next season. Both rely on a couple players.

But the real question i like to know is what standard is required to be competitve in Div II outside Australia and England. I've played VIpers (Pakistan Div II) a couple times and both matches have been close, so if their a guide i shouldn't be that far, Alex came 5th this season though. So how good go you think i need to be to beat either of those teams and be competitve in Div II.

I see my real weakness as my bowling attack (Superb/Mediorce, Strong/Feeble, Strong/Woeful, Proficient/Feeble and Respectable/Feeble) So considering buying in a Strong fast bowler to replace my Respectable fast bowler. If im still two seasons away, then im probably better off saving money for Superb fast bowler.
Any with any suggestions or advice for me, White Knights lost their playoff so they will be in my division next season and thats means my crap bowling attack has to face a NT Batsmen. I think i might look to stay in my league for another two season anyway to build my bank account and my squad, i should have four to five remarkable players by then.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Lost my playoff. Disappointed. Their spinner won it for them as I feared. Anyway it means more money and fan support as I can totally demolish my division next season and hopefully avoid a playoff.

Code:
The G crew v Boulevard Bombers (773265) 

Date: 22/12/2006 Ground: The G crew CG 
Pitch: Dusty Weather:  

Boulevard Bombers won the toss and elected to bat. 
First Innings of: Boulevard Bombers (go for it!)  
Name   Runs Balls 4s 6s 
Sykes  lbw  b. Spiers 42 41 3 1 
Wilmers (*)  b. Clee 19 19 3 0 
Elsegood  lbw  b. Spiers 80 86 4 2 
Crowe  c. Burnip b. Spiers 33 62 3 0 
Yate  not  out 64 57 7 1 
Fordham  lbw  b. Spiers 0 3 0 0 
Isaacs (+) lbw  b. Burnip 31 20 3 1 
Ricketts  c. Swift b. Burnip 1 2 0 0 
Bignot  c. Flynn b. Clee 0 3 0 0 
Robbins  lbw  b. Burnip 0 5 0 0 
Wigg  not  out 4 6 0 0