• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any England or Australia Fans Who Don't Enjoy The Ashes?

Tom Flint

International Regular
How is it irrelevant. You said the only reason we won is because we were shining the ball. But we wasn't shining the ball when those guys were scoring a hatful of runs

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ironic thread in that any Australian or English fan who actually doesn't enjoy the Ashes would likely not be looking at an Ashes sub-forum prior to the Tests starting ;)

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
First paragraph is pure unadulterated truth. I'm sorry it triggered you though. Any of those things don't happen (eg. McGrath injury, Murray mints, multiple inside edge lbws) and the series result is different. I'm not saying that England didn't deserve to win the series, just that a freakish amount had to go their way for it to happen, and it did.

re. Cardiff 09 "deserved" was probably the wrong word. I was trying to get across that it was a big reason for the series result not matching the ability of each side, or how well they played overall.

That's a weirdly irrelevant thing to say
It didn’t ‘trigger’ me, the biggest reason we won was Freddie. Simple as that.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
England had no right even competing with Australia in 2005, that's part of what made it such a memorable series. It was a perfect storm of England's players all in the best form of their lives, most of Australia's out form, one-sided umpiring, McGrath's freak injury, and extensive systematic ball-tampering from the English that hasn't been seen since. Take away any of those factors and Aus win 4-1 or 5-0.

I disagree that England were the better side in 09 as well. They managed to pull out a couple of wins and perform when it matters, which I guess is something, but over the course of the series Australia played batter cricket for longer. As you mention though a big part of that was Cardiff being a draw when Aus probably deserved an innings win.
First sentence is absolute drivel. The only people who were surprised that series about what the Aussies came up against were noobs like you who had nfi what England had been doing since the previous Ashes in Aus. The single greatest thing about 2005 was living here in HMP Oz and watching/listening to the "OMG whats happening.......this isn't how it's supposed to be" fallout.

Now I'm not saying I was sitting there thinking we've got this before the series start, but I knew for ****ing sure that we we're going to give a better account than we had in the previous 18 years. So to say Eng had no right even competing is just full on Brah bollocks. To be frank.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First sentence is absolute drivel. The only people who were surprised that series about what the Aussies came up against were noobs like you who had nfi what England had been doing since the previous Ashes in Aus. The single greatest thing about 2005 was living here in HMP Oz and watching/listening to the "OMG whats happening.......this isn't how it's supposed to be" fallout.

Now I'm not saying I was sitting there thinking we've got this before the series start, but I knew for ****ing sure that we we're going to give a better account than we had in the previous 18 years. So to say Eng had no right even competing is just full on Brah bollocks. To be frank.
Lol, and doesn't that say it all about English cricket? 18 ****ing years. 18. 1.8. years. Nigh on two decades. Drinking age. Voting age. Not like there was a World War for part of it either. There were kids legally out on the piss in 2005 who hadn't seen an England Ashes win before. They'd done creche, preschool, infants, primary and high school and had enrolled at Uni without seeing England win the Ashes. That's extraordinary. That's glorious.

I hope it happens again with kids born in 2016. It would be wonderful.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Ironic thread in that any Australian or English fan who actually doesn't enjoy the Ashes would likely not be looking at an Ashes sub-forum prior to the Tests starting ;)
Any time you get beaten by us is an embarrassment to your country. You have the conditions to play and practice all year round. Young kids in England are lucky to get 5 months in England to get outside and even then a good amount of theirs games or practice sessions get rained off. The fact we even compete against you is an embarrassment to australia

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol, and doesn't that say it all about English cricket? 18 ****ing years. 18. 1.8. years. Nigh on two decades. Drinking age. Voting age. Not like there was a World War for part of it either. There were kids legally out on the piss in 2005 who hadn't seen an England Ashes win before. They'd done creche, preschool, infants, primary and high school and had enrolled at Uni without seeing England win the Ashes. That's extraordinary. That's glorious.

I hope it happens again with kids born in 2016. It would be wonderful.
It's getting up to the same since you ****s won in England.

And what's even more glorious is that 14 years on the "omg how can this be happening" has transcended to; Murray mints, bad umpiring and Glenn fucikng 5-0 Mcgrath stepping on a cricket ball.

You still can't cop it. Now that's glorious.

Last edited:

hazsa19

International Regular
On the 2005 Ashes I know it was an incredible series, but did anyone whether English, Aussie or other think before the series that Australia would lose the series?

I was young at the time and had watched **** all cricket before that.
The Poms has yapped themselves up a fair bit before it, and I think everyone expected a pretty close series given they had a lot of blokes at or near their best and Australia had a few getting on. But realistically, no. And tbh, absent the nectar of Murray Mints making the ball magically reverse swing after twelve overs and Bowden delivering some absolute howlers, that England side wasn’t fit to share the same park as the Australian One.

Had certainly changed by 09 when England were the better side by a fair margin, though Australia being robbed by rain in Cardiff, the series might have been different.
Allow me to translate.

No. I don’t think anyone reasonably expected us to beat that ATG side, regardless of what we had achieved against SA or WI in the previous year. I was of the age where I just knew Australia hammered us. It’s just what happened, and any attempt or hope of changing that would be met with almost immediate humiliation. All I realistically hoped for was that we would be competitive, at least while the series was live.

And then it happened. It happened because our team of good players came together to play some truly exceptional cricket. We had some luck, so did they. Some of their players had a dip, ours were good enough to keep them down.

Before 2005 the world knew the crims were bad winners. Most importantly, as a result of 2005, the world now know they’re terrible losers too.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India's win in 2001 was more satisfying that 05 Ashes. No tiny asterisk wrt McGrath. And they did it without Kumble.

Although the umpiring was pretty ordinary.

Daemon

First paragraph is drivel. The main reasons England won in 05 was an all-rounder who was in the middle of a three year hot streak and the Aussies could not deal with him. The left handers **** their pants at him coming round the wicket and Ponting was practically given out via method of dismissal ‘cried out’ at Edgbaston 05. The bowlers couldn’t contain him either and he was at that time fantastic at batting with the lower order.

Agree that we weren’t noticeably the better side in 09 but this revisionist claptrap about Australia ‘deserving’ to win in Cardiff deserves short shrift. A poor declaration from Ponting came far too late and what’s more we had Anderson and Panesar batting for about 15 overs. If you can’t dismiss them two in that time then I’m not sure you deserve anything at all.
Not sure how 'ball tampering' helps 3 of our batsman smash over 400 runs in the series. You lost because we were better that you and are bitter because the most memorable ashes of all time was won by us

Stop getting TJB'd ffs

Giving all of you an official warning for responding to rancid bait. If you don't like it you know where the door is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stop getting TJB'd ffs

Giving all of you an official warning for responding to rancid bait. If you don't like it you know where the door is.
I can't be warned in my LP role, but do take the feedback on board.

OverratedSanity

I remember the build to the 05 ashes well, there was definitely plenty of people who thought England had a decent shot. Especially since they'd just won in SA.

India's win in 2001 was more satisfying that 05 Ashes. No tiny asterisk wrt McGrath. And they did it without Kumble.

Although the umpiring was pretty ordinary.
If anything, the worst howler in that series probably went against India when Gillespie wasnt given out caught behind in the first innings in Kolkata. Probably the worst decision of the like I've seen it was going to first slip it was that thick an edge. Without that, India probably win much more comfortably, so you know what, in a way, I'm glad it happened.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Any time you get beaten by us is an embarrassment to your country. You have the conditions to play and practice all year round. Young kids in England are lucky to get 5 months in England to get outside and even then a good amount of theirs games or practice sessions get rained off. The fact we even compete against you is an embarrassment to australia
Random rant that has nothing to do with my post you quoted lol

andmark

International Captain
It's the whole thing of realising a car crash is about to happen. You know it's going to go badly but you can't help but watch.

Burgey

Allow me to translate.

No. I don’t think anyone reasonably expected us to beat that ATG side, regardless of what we had achieved against SA or WI in the previous year. I was of the age where I just knew Australia hammered us. It’s just what happened, and any attempt or hope of changing that would be met with almost immediate humiliation. All I realistically hoped for was that we would be competitive, at least while the series was live.

And then it happened. It happened because our team of good players came together to play some truly exceptional cricket. We had some luck, so did they. Some of their players had a dip, ours were good enough to keep them down.

Before 2005 the world knew the crims were bad winners. Most importantly, as a result of 2005, the world now know they’re terrible losers too.
First of all, this is racist trolling and baiting, and has been reported accordingly.

Secondly, you could not have had a more gracious concession to being dicked over by blatant cheating and dud umpiring than Ponting's speech after the Oval test in 2005. Was genuinely gracious to the Poms on their win.

That series also gave us one of the greatest test knocks I've seen, and the best by an Australian imo since Kim Hughes at Melbourne v the Windies - Ponting's 156 in the third test was his best knock, and was just batting on a different level to every other player in the match or series. Crushing pressure, ball doing plenty, hostile attack which was ball tampering on a wearing pitch, series level at 1-1. Yet he looked like he was having a centre wicket session against an under 16s side. Reckon it was the innings which absolutely cemented his greatness. Up there with Laxman's knock imho.

Spark

Global Moderator
I realise I'm getting sucked in by responding to Deliberately Bad Posts, but do you genuinely think that winter is just not a thing in Australia?

Burgey

This is actually true. I know you're trying (and failing terribly) to be funny, but it is a national embarrassment losing to the Poms. At anything, at any time.