• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any England or Australia Fans Who Don't Enjoy The Ashes?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Remember Pizzorno? Was the awesome new kid on the block for the 09 Ashes but faded away pretty quickly afterwards?

Same as that Howe_Zat bloke who rocked up just before 10-11

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
I’m massively excited about this chapter and have been loving the selection chatter on here. If it’s competitive we’ll all enjoy it I’m sure.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What would be unpredictable is if you made an insightful and original post.

On that note, you have been awarded 5 Nixons for "Repetitive posting".
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/testing-forum/58214-do-we-really-need-daemon.html

No tbh

Now this is quality moderation
Given your last reportage ultimately led nowhere, your ideas on what is and isn't quality moderation will rightly be given no credence.

TJB is the guy casuals voted to represent them here at the 2016 Annual ********s Conference, I believe.
This is a top comment from a moderator, Cribbeh. Given what's gone on in recent weeks.

I mean, it's obviously accurate, but still... :ph34r:

Burgey

Come to think of it, we had them during the World Cup as well. Surely the "only World Cup knockout/finals performances matter" brigade are the ultimate casuals?
64,000 posts worth of "casual fan" right here. Haven't been called that before. Obsessive, sure. But not a casual fan. Will take it.

CarlsbergXpress

U19 Vice-Captain
Good to have you back mate. Stick around.
Cheers mate, and for what it’s worth I think this could be a great series. With the suspect batting lineups (and if Smith struggles) we could be looking at some really low scoring, exciting test matches.

Not an insightful or even interesting post but there it is.

Burgey

Yeah it doesnt strike me as the sort of series where you can confidently head out for lunch thinking the same blokes will still be batting when you get back.

hazsa19

International Regular
No series was ever going to or will ever live up to that 2005 Ashes. It will never be surpassed. There was a very specific set of circumstances that made that series so special.

Taken in isolation there have been lots of great moments and enjoyable ones too. Most I think have been mentioned, but my favourite has to be the Jimmy/ Monty last stand at Cardiff. I remember sitting in a pub at Uni trying to explain to the 15 odd non cricket loving people in there why it was so great that we drew the game.

I think this series will be close. We will collapse at some stage, probably more than once. The next series down under should be more competitive too if Archer and Wood mature as Test Bowlers.

Niall

International Coach
No series was ever going to or will ever live up to that 2005 Ashes. It will never be surpassed. There was a very specific set of circumstances that made that series so special.

Taken in isolation there have been lots of great moments and enjoyable ones too. Most I think have been mentioned, but my favourite has to be the Jimmy/ Monty last stand at Cardiff. I remember sitting in a pub at Uni trying to explain to the 15 odd non cricket loving people in there why it was so great that we drew the game.

I think this series will be close. We will collapse at some stage, probably more than once. The next series down under should be more competitive too if Archer and Wood mature as Test Bowlers.
On the 2005 Ashes I know it was an incredible series, but did anyone whether English, Aussie or other think before the series that Australia would lose the series?

I was young at the time and had watched **** all cricket before that.

Burgey

The Poms has yapped themselves up a fair bit before it, and I think everyone expected a pretty close series given they had a lot of blokes at or near their best and Australia had a few getting on. But realistically, no. And tbh, absent the nectar of Murray Mints making the ball magically reverse swing after twelve overs and Bowden delivering some absolute howlers, that England side wasn’t fit to share the same park as the Australian One.

Had certainly changed by 09 when England were the better side by a fair margin, though Australia being robbed by rain in Cardiff, the series might have been different.

TheJediBrah

The Poms has yapped themselves up a fair bit before it, and I think everyone expected a pretty close series given they had a lot of blokes at or near their best and Australia had a few getting on. But realistically, no. And tbh, absent the nectar of Murray Mints making the ball magically reverse swing after twelve overs and Bowden delivering some absolute howlers, that England side wasn’t fit to share the same park as the Australian One.

Had certainly changed by 09 when England were the better side by a fair margin, though Australia being robbed by rain in Cardiff, the series might have been different.
England had no right even competing with Australia in 2005, that's part of what made it such a memorable series. It was a perfect storm of England's players all in the best form of their lives, most of Australia's out form, one-sided umpiring, McGrath's freak injury, and extensive systematic ball-tampering from the English that hasn't been seen since. Take away any of those factors and Aus win 4-1 or 5-0.

I disagree that England were the better side in 09 as well. They managed to pull out a couple of wins and perform when it matters, which I guess is something, but over the course of the series Australia played batter cricket for longer. As you mention though a big part of that was Cardiff being a draw when Aus probably deserved an innings win.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England had no right even competing with Australia in 2005, that's part of what made it such a memorable series. It was a perfect storm of England's players all in the best form of their lives, most of Australia's out form, one-sided umpiring, McGrath's freak injury, and extensive systematic ball-tampering from the English that hasn't been seen since. Take away any of those factors and Aus win 4-1 or 5-0.

I disagree that England were the better side in 09 as well. They managed to pull out a couple of wins and perform when it matters, which I guess is something, but over the course of the series Australia played batter cricket for longer. As you mention though a big part of that was Cardiff being a draw when Aus probably deserved an innings win.
First paragraph is drivel. The main reasons England won in 05 was an all-rounder who was in the middle of a three year hot streak and the Aussies could not deal with him. The left handers **** their pants at him coming round the wicket and Ponting was practically given out via method of dismissal ‘cried out’ at Edgbaston 05. The bowlers couldn’t contain him either and he was at that time fantastic at batting with the lower order.

Agree that we weren’t noticeably the better side in 09 but this revisionist claptrap about Australia ‘deserving’ to win in Cardiff deserves short shrift. A poor declaration from Ponting came far too late and what’s more we had Anderson and Panesar batting for about 15 overs. If you can’t dismiss them two in that time then I’m not sure you deserve anything at all.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Not sure how 'ball tampering' helps 3 of our batsman smash over 400 runs in the series. You lost because we were better that you and are bitter because the most memorable ashes of all time was won by us

TheJediBrah

First paragraph is drivel. The main reasons England won in 05 was an all-rounder who was in the middle of a three year hot streak and the Aussies could not deal with him. The left handers **** their pants at him coming round the wicket and Ponting was practically given out via method of dismissal ‘cried out’ at Edgbaston 05. The bowlers couldn’t contain him either and he was at that time fantastic at batting with the lower order.

Agree that we weren’t noticeably the better side in 09 but this revisionist claptrap about Australia ‘deserving’ to win in Cardiff deserves short shrift. A poor declaration from Ponting came far too late and what’s more we had Anderson and Panesar batting for about 15 overs. If you can’t dismiss them two in that time then I’m not sure you deserve anything at all.
First paragraph is pure unadulterated truth. I'm sorry it triggered you though. Any of those things don't happen (eg. McGrath injury, Murray mints, multiple inside edge lbws) and the series result is different. I'm not saying that England didn't deserve to win the series, just that a freakish amount had to go their way for it to happen, and it did.

re. Cardiff 09 "deserved" was probably the wrong word. I was trying to get across that it was a big reason for the series result not matching the ability of each side, or how well they played overall.

Not sure how 'ball tampering' helps 3 of our batsman smash over 400 runs in the series. You lost because we were better that you and are bitter because the most memorable ashes of all time was won by us
That's a weirdly irrelevant thing to say