• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds in contention for Test squad

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prince EWS said:
Technically, the way the Australian selectors seem to work, Katich will take Waughs spot. They always seem to put batsmen back in team after injury. Martyn has copped both ends of the stick. Katich is not really in the side, as he is just an injury replacement for Lehmann.

Ah, but the replacement for Waugh need not be the same person as the replacement for Lehmann.

For Lehmann, they needed someone who could fill in a few overs of spin bowling as well as bat well enough for number 6 - step forward Katich as he's the only player they had available to fit that spot.

For Waugh they're more looking towards a batsman - making Love a prime candidate. If they start looking for someone to fill in medium pace as well, that opens the door to Symonds, but IMO Waugh's bowling doesn't need replacing.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I don't think that Lehmann will be on the test tour of SL. I think the selectors will let him find form in the Pura Cup and get over David Hookes's death. They'll try Symonds as an experimnet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Who, Symonds or Watson?
Watson.
Though it was ludicrous that Symonds got all the chances he did. Never anything in his domestic record to suggest it should have been done. Lucky buggers got away with it in the end.
I seriously hope the same thing doesn't happen with Powell.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Watson.
Though it was ludicrous that Symonds got all the chances he did. Never anything in his domestic record to suggest it should have been done. Lucky buggers got away with it in the end.
why isnt lehman in the team, i admit hes a bit of a ****** but hes a good player, better than symonds and watson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Yes, but he is improving.
Well, he bowled well in the current Pura Cup and OK in the last County Championship.
He bowled especially well in one-day cricket last season (2003, for Kent).
I still think we need to see more long-term evidence that his bowling deserves consideration in selection.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
Maybe you should have thought before asking that question.

In Australia's last Test match, Steve Waugh was a member of the top 6. He is no longer - creating an open place. Obviously, Symonds would tkae this spot if selected.

Woops - good try though Craig :rolleyes:

And please, call me Andre.
Andre - don't you think Lehmann deserves immidiate claim on the place?
And as has been said, using total logic Lehmann comes back for Katich, Katich has estabished his credentials and hence replaces Waugh.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
yeah i think he does think that lehmann will be on the tour.
I would seriously hope he does. Someone with a proven record un-like Fools Goldenboy (everyone thinks he's great, but where's the proof?) Clarke.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
I would seriously hope he does. Someone with a proven record un-like Fools Goldenboy (everyone thinks he's great, but where's the proof?) Clarke.

I think you are being a bit harsh on him... Many worse players have been hyped up more... He hasnt done much wrong..

Saying that, he still looks like a young kid when he bats...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I think you are being a bit harsh on him... Many worse players have been hyped up more... He hasnt done much wrong..

Saying that, he still looks like a young kid when he bats...
Amazingly hyped up, has a poor VB series against 2 of the weakest bowling attacks in world cricket (Zimbabwe and India) and yet is defended and still mentioned as a near certainty for the Test side...

Yes he's talented, but sorry if I get a bit tired of hearing how great he is from certain members who seem to be stuck in one of those trances only found in old 1960s horror films...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
wait a few months rik, go and watch him play for Hampshire (with the Great Shane Warne hopefully :)) and you will see why people like him.

he definatley hasn't done much wrong though...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
wait a few months rik, go and watch him play for Hampshire (with the Great Shane Warne hopefully :)) and you will see why people like him.

he definatley hasn't done much wrong though...
Well, his 1st full season of ODI cricket and he averages mid-20s, yeah I'd definately call that not doing much wrong...for a number 8...

I saw him on Sky several times and I'm being serious here, I wasn't impressed, his bowling is easily-hittable, he goes for too many shots and gets out early...and I don't see what will change in England, I'm pretty sure he'll end up trying to hit every ball for 4 or 6 and get out for about 20, just like Afridi did a few seasons ago for Derbyshire.

Andre

International Regular
Richard said:
Andre - don't you think Lehmann deserves immidiate claim on the place?
And as has been said, using total logic Lehmann comes back for Katich, Katich has estabished his credentials and hence replaces Waugh.
I do believe that Lehmann should and will take the number 6 position.

It's just simply the fact that noone has been picked yet, so we yet presumre with any certainty that the spot has been decided upon.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
Watson.
What you hope Powell does not finaly live up to his potential??

why do you allways want people to fail?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
Well, his 1st full season of ODI cricket and he averages mid-20s, yeah I'd definately call that not doing much wrong...for a number 8...

I saw him on Sky several times and I'm being serious here, I wasn't impressed, his bowling is easily-hittable, he goes for too many shots and gets out early...and I don't see what will change in England, I'm pretty sure he'll end up trying to hit every ball for 4 or 6 and get out for about 20, just like Afridi did a few seasons ago for Derbyshire.
Ok Rik I respect your opinions more now days but you have got this wrong IMO.

He wont throw his inning's away anywhere near as often as Afridi you can trust me. His averages this summer for mine have been quite sufficient given his sometimes limited chances and the fact he is still so young.

All you have to do is look at his career List A average to work out he is quite good and having done that all in Australia basically I don’t see what county cricket is going to throw at him that he cant handle.

Last year in Domestic OD games he passed 20 on almost every occasion only failing to do so one or twice. And the season before that he was all right as well. He has never been an all or nothing type player he usually makes a useful contribution or though the same probably can’t be said about his FC game.

Any failing's he has will be his own fault because while he is still young and impatient at times there are very few players in Australia with better techniques. He has nothing to be concerned about in county cricket other than complacency and thinking he is better than he actually is.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Maybe you should have thought before asking that question.

In Australia's last Test match, Steve Waugh was a member of the top 6. He is no longer - creating an open place. Obviously, Symonds would tkae this spot if selected.

Woops - good try though Craig :rolleyes:

And please, call me Andre.
But I was going on the therom that Lehmann is a certainty to get take over Steve Waugh's spot. You yourself, David, quite a few people have...

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
But I was going on the therom that Lehmann is a certainty to get take over Steve Waugh's spot. You yourself, David, quite a few people have...
And who have the selectors named to take over from him?

No one yet, so I've got no idea what on earth you are on about - there is still one spot vacant at this stage that has to be filled.

And no, Damien Martyn won't be getting dropped.

Seriously, if your are going to try and make me look like a fool, your going to have to do better than this!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:

he saved the Australian Innings in the first 2 games with Symonds. he helped Symonds put the 2nd final outr of indias reach. he got out slogging on 3 or 4 occasions at the end of innings, he got runs out by bevan. he really didn't play all that badly. he left one and got bowled - a mistake, he got caught behinds off a pretty good late outswinger sure, but all up its not quite as bad as people are making it out to be - played the spinners brilliantly all series.

as for his bowling, mightnot be that great, but still managed to take a couple of key wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
He wont throw his inning's away anywhere near as often as Afridi you can trust me. His averages this summer for mine have been quite sufficient given his sometimes limited chances and the fact he is still so young.
How is playing in every game "limited opportunity"?