• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds in contention for Test squad

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
I know Im talking to 2 moderators here but this is slightly off topic,
Liam and Neil, I expected more than :O

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Now please I am an Essex boy, born and brought up in Pakistan so please explain...v..e..r..y s..l..o..w..l..y what you just said in your last sentence.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Never mind... you clearly haven't been at CW long enough to understand the evolution of threads - they never stay on topic for long.

Off topic is talking about mongoose breeding patterns.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You don't want Symonds to do well because you don't rate him. I rate Nel very highly and I enjoyed him getting hit about, as you say, because of his attitude against us.
I don't want Symonds to do well because I don't like his style of play.
Like I say, I've never denied that he's earned the success he's got since WC2003.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
at least the selectors have seen sense and not picked Haddin, bad enough he got a couple of international games. seccombe is a far superior gloveman and probably a better batsman in the longer form of the game anyway...

Symonds follows on from Bracken as players getting picked for the test squad based on ODI performances, though he should last longer than bracken did.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I dont think Haddin was ever in contention for a Test place as Seccombe was in the Aus A 3-day side, Haddin was not.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Linda said:
I dont think Haddin was ever in contention for a Test place as Seccombe was in the Aus A 3-day side, Haddin was not.
Seccombe was always considered the back up keeper after he went on the tour to England in 2001. For Tests, though. Haddin can be an explosive batsman, and thats why he is chosen for the one day squad. What surprises me is they even took a reserve keeper to Sri Lanka. They usually don't for such short tours.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
SquidAU said:
Seccombe was always considered the back up keeper after he went on the tour to England in 2001. For Tests, though. Haddin can be an explosive batsman, and thats why he is chosen for the one day squad. What surprises me is they even took a reserve keeper to Sri Lanka. They usually don't for such short tours.
I think they are worried about the workload on Gilchrist. Maybe the selectors have shown their thinking for the future - one keeper for the ODI and one for the tests.