• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Flintoff Jumps The Shark, But Does Correctly Call Michael Atherton A Prick

Howe_zat

Audio File
“How can he talk about a player like [current England opening batsman] Alastair Cook who is 10 times the player he ever was — he has a much bigger average and will go on and on. Atherton averaged in the 30s for England and yet he thinks he can judge others.”

I think you're in the clear Spikey, you didn't average in the 30s for England. If anything, this is an impressive piece of self-depreciation from Freddie

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Flintoff is just an uneducated yob who's living off an ashes success. I have no problem with that. But take whatever he says with a pinch of salt because he is a moron. imo.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Flintoff is just an uneducated yob who's living off an ashes success. I have no problem with that. But take whatever he says with a pinch of salt because he is a moron. imo.
Hmm, a tad bit of snobbery there. I can't believe there's so much **** about this story, he said crap when he was drunk. Uneducated doesn't really relate to moron, which your sentences lead into. Also going to public school doesn't make you a genius.

Anyway, this really is a storm in a teacup, do wonder if journos ever had their drunken ramblings reported, if it would be all that edifying. I'm guessing this all comes because of Atherton's stupidly dogmatic view of Cooks ODI captaincy, place in the side. TBF Cook is probably 10-times the one-day player that Athers was.

I actually like both FEC, and Flintoff, despite his love of the ale.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Uneducated yob,8-)

like Grecian says talk about coming across as a bit of a snobbish pratt.imo.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Hmm, a tad bit of snobbery there. I can't believe there's so much **** about this story, he said crap when he was drunk. Uneducated doesn't really relate to moron, which your sentences lead into. Also going to public school doesn't make you a genius.

Anyway, this really is a storm in a teacup, do wonder if journos ever had their drunken ramblings reported, if it would be all that edifying. I'm guessing this all comes because of Atherton's stupidly dogmatic view of Cooks ODI captaincy, place in the side. TBF Cook is probably 10-times the one-day player that Athers was.

I actually like both FEC, and Flintoff, despite his love of the ale.
Agree, can't believe something that was said at a party has made it's way onto the headlines of a paper, or should I be not surprised.

grecian

Agree, can't believe something that was said at a party has made it's way onto the headlines of a paper, or should I be not surprised.
It's quite amusing really seeing the reaction on Twitter, all journo-types saying he'll be really hated now. Most normal people, about 80%, saying good on him.

That's why he'll always be more popular than the likes of Athers, not an Establishment figure.

Do actually wonder how deep this Sky rift is now, it's not like the England players slag any other comms.

I await Matt Priors "Bumble's a ****ing odious ****, who should die in a fire" tweet.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Never been any love lost between those two.

Also agree with what George Dobell put up on twitter

Weird how newspapers that can't find the space to report games can, this week, find the space to report gossip and prurient pap...
"Prurient" means an excessive interest in that pertaining to the old rumpy pumpy, doesn't it?

Is Dobell suggesting Fred's outburst has a ***ual angle? Hell hath no fury like an all-rounder spurned?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Good example from Flintoff of all that's wrong about so many players' attitudes. It's like KP whining about Knight's coment that KP shouldn't be in the one day side because KP is a better player than Knight ever was. Absolute bull**** of course. And a major concern if these guys reckon they're above any sort of criticism unless it's coming from an ATG. When they still wouldn't take it either, of course.
Completely agree with this. That's obviously the mindset with players - unless you scored 10,000 runs and took 500 wickets, don't criticise me. And it's the reason why, wrongly in my opinion, a non-player will never make it into the commentary box - even if they are the most well-spoken, articulate, knowledgable going around.

As for this making into print, nothing is sacred now. We know that.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Completely agree with this. That's obviously the mindset with players - unless you scored 10,000 runs and took 500 wickets, don't criticise me. And it's the reason why, wrongly in my opinion, a non-player will never make it into the commentary box - even if they are the most well-spoken, articulate, knowledgable going around.

Harsha Bhogle
Jim Maxwell
Tony Cozier
Glenn Mitchell

et al.

grecian

Completely disagree with this, the reason why these people are phased out is because TV and Media outlets want bull****ters and controversialists, it's happening in all sport. Oddly enough Atherton and Hussein tend to steer away.

We have Darren Gough talking about sport on our biggest sports station over here. He talk's mainly about football, a sport where you could randomly pick a guy off the street and the odds he'll know more about it. He talks about it in a staggeringly inarticulate, boorish ignorant way, Ronnie Irani does the same. Ratings are brilliant.

Don't blame players, blame the people who want to watch, read and listen to this ****.

Blame us also for posting about this sordid piece of sensationalism, which I'm sure the makers of Freddie's progs on the Sky Networks, and Athers employers also News International will actually be delighted about.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Beyond that, simplistic comparisons between the averages of Cook and Atherton are at best meaningless and at worst misleading. You'd struggle to find a weak attack that Atherton faced in his entire England career, which you really couldn't say about Cook at all.
Urgh. Atherton batting career apologists. He was underwhelming and an average in the 30s is inadequate regardless of the opposition he faced.

However, it is a complete irrelevance. Atherton clearly knows the game inside out and is well placed to comment on the technical and psychological shortcomings (or upsides) of existing players.

I'm waiting for Freddie to come on here and bash us all for having an opinion about cricketers much better than ourselves. It'd be delightful larks.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Too many ales me thinks. It probably should have stayed off the record. The argument an ex-cricketer can't critique a current cricketer unless he was better than current cricketer in question is ridiculous. I can see however, in this instance, Atherton's comments re: Cook, could reek a little of Pot calling the Kettle black and may make a recent cricketer's blood boil.