• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anderson to end Test career this summer

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to him on a good career.

If Robinson isn't picked it will be interesting to see their attack in NZ late spring/early summer. 1st class cricket pre-Christmas can be extremely challenging for batting, so there could be a chance for a young seamer to make a name for himself.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That’s my Friday ruined, crying now
Yeah I am struggling to deal with it.

If they had loads of great bowlers coming through then maybe I can understand but if we are giving up on him to play Matt Potts I am not having it.

Hungry Llama

School Boy/Girl Captain
Apparently the conversation went like this

Baz: Yor too old
Jimmy: Watch this drive!

The young pretenders have a lot to prove this summer, not least their fitness, as does Stokes.

ataraxia

International Coach
It's all a little odd.

I'm generally more and more minded that any selectorial decision made "with an eye on the future" is pretty much cobblers, but if, for the sake of argument, we accept McCullum's premise, why then is the great man being given an extended victory lap?
It's very Bazball to choreograph one's intentions well in advance.

Incidentally, I reckon in the unlikely event that Jimmeh does have an excellent summer after all then he will actually be continued with. So there's still hope left for people not named Sam Cook.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's all a little odd.

I'm generally more and more minded that any selectorial decision made "with an eye on the future" is pretty much cobblers, but if, for the sake of argument, we accept McCullum's premise, why then is the great man being given an extended victory lap?
McCullum is a businessman and as a businessman he knows that dropping the old timer without a farewell would cause some sour opinions and not the type he can live with (i.e. people getting upset over bazball). Giving him a farewell in a fairly forgettable summer schedule (no offence srinlanka and west indies...well some offense given windies Aussie win) is the smart move to keep the fans relatively happy in that they'll get their feel good farewell whilst accepting it's time to move on.

grecian

I think it's a bull**** decision, don't pick him when he's not the best of our option, fairly simple, ATM I don't believe that's true, as all the optons except Atkinson flounder. Hey I wouldn't hate it if they gave a go to Sam Cook, but probavly won't happen they've had plenty of time to call him into squads, but fail to do so.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Handled weirdly too. The news isn't about the great Jimmy retiring at the end of the summer, it's about how Baz whizzed over to the UK for a game of golf and told him he was looking to the future. Nothing definitive, all very wishy-washy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Handled weirdly too. The news isn't about the great Jimmy retiring at the end of the summer, it's about how Baz whizzed over to the UK for a game of golf and told him he was looking to the future. Nothing definitive, all very wishy-washy.
Based on his captaincy tenure with NZ this feels like an incredibly McCullum thing to do.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Wow this is huge news , it was always going to happen ..but it's just a reminder that nobody can stop time, and the rate at which time moves on can be rather depressing, Anderson one of the last links to the 2000's era of test cricket.

Last edited:

grecian

This does give serious Groundhog vibes, pretty sure we were having this discussion 2 years ago when some bloke was telling us Saq Mahmood, would be the answer. Nothing much has changed excepting one indifferent series, we still have no seamers to replace him that can stay fit for more than 5 minutes, getting on the pitch is quite important.