• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time XI: England

watson

Banned
Let's get the surefire inclusions out of the way:

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Barnes
Trueman

honestly everyone else a case can be justified for their exclusion
It's difficult not to add Alan Knott to that list despite Ames, and Evans being very close.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Hutton
2. Hobbs
3. Ranji
4. Hammond
5. Gower
6. Botham
7. Prior (w)
8. Tate
9. Larwood
10. Barnes
11. Laker

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nice side Mr Z, though I doubt Matt Prior will thank you for making him stand up to Maurice Tate and Sydney Barnes

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
1. Sir Jack Hobbs
2. Sir Len Hutton
3. Ranji
4. Wally Hammond
5. Denis Compton
6. Kevin Pietersen
7. Sir Ian Botham
8. Allan Knott+
9. Hedley Verity
10. Sydney Barnes
11. Fred Trueman
12th WG

I had trouble with justifying Beefy as an allrounder with Hammond already giving extra bowling. And he's not quite good enough to knock out genuine batsmen imo. Bedser is close too

watson

Banned
The other attacks will hypothetically include McGrath-Lillee-Miller, Marshall-Ambrose-Holding, Donald-Steyn-Procter, Imran-Wasim-Waqar, Hadlee-Bond-Cowie

I think that the England attack needs two genuinely fast bowlers too open the bowling otherwise their batsman are going to feel depressed.

Genuine quicks 'hunting in pairs' have always done well historically.

Last edited: