• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time XI: England

Edged&Taken

U19 Vice-Captain
KP and Botham in England's All-time XI
Link

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Wally Hammond
4. Ken Barrington
5. Kevin Pietersen
6.Ian Botham
7. Alan Knott
8. Derek Underwood
9. Harold Larwood
10. Fred Trueman
11. Sydney Barnes

aussie tragic

International Captain
I voted Compton instead of Pietersen

Was an easy choice when you consider that Compton played Test Cricket over a 20-year period, debuting at 19 and finishing just shy of his 40th birthday (with WWII splitting his career), while Pietersen has only played for 4-years, debuting at 25 due to eligibility reasons, so all of his test cricket has been played in his prime.

Not much in their career averages

Compton: 78 Tests, 131 Innings, 5807 Runs @ 50.06, HS 278, 17 hundreds, 28 fifties
Pietersen: 54 Tests, 97 Innings, 4647 Runs @ 49.96, HS 226, 16 hundreds, 15 fifties

I think this is a big stretch just to get a current player in the team?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At 1st blush it seems a longish tale for an AT XI, but I haven't really looked at the batting stats from Underwood down.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They need Douglas Jardine as skipper, in for KP, a stock of Murraymints and they'd beat allcomers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sutcliffe & the good doctor practically libelled by their exclusions, surely?

& Deadly batting above Lol is silly too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shocking inclusion of KP, obviously, really can't believe it.:-O

Would rather have Gower amongst about 15 others ahead of him.

Decent otherwise. Wouldn't mind Statham in for Larwood, or Ames for Knott.

Last edited:

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Wheres W.G Grace?

Dont think Harold Larwood should be there ... Alec Bedser should be in there ahead of him.

Can Trevor Chappell make the the all time Australia one day XI for his bowling?

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Pietersen IMO will justify being in this side, but towards the end of his career, not now. I think they were trying to save blushes from not having having someone for the last 20 plus years.

Would have Compton for Pietersen, Statham for Larwood, and Laker for Underwood.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Pietersen being selected after just 4 years is ridiculous. He is a good batsman and may well turn out to be a great. But this is too early.