• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
As per Trumper above, you can't pick Sydney Barnes either.

A public service announcement/reminder for those new to the thread or who are dipping in and out, but players before WWI have been removed from consideration for this exercise. A separate pre-WWI team will be selected at the end. :)
The title of the thread is....

‘All time world world text XI selection’

Also, Jack Hobbs played his first Test in 1908, and you voted for Jack Hobbs.

srbhkshk

International Captain

I know it's a long thread but most posts are like Player names. Maybe go through it first?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Hobbs was actually selected under different criteria - when we picked the First XI, it was only pre-1900 players who were excluded. The decision to exclude from consideration all players pre-WWI was taken after that. Whether that would have impacted Hobbs' selection, I don't know (probably not - I reckon he still would have been picked for the First XI).

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Both Hayden and Sehwag would make the opening partnership too prone to lollapsing in swinging conditions IMO. Would personally pair either with more classical opener. That said, the second XI does have both Gavaskar and Sutcliffe opening.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm still not voting for Barry Richards. He should either be in the First XI if he qualifies or not at all if he doesn't.

Anyway:
Cook
Turner

Holding
Waqar

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Since none of the short career players(Richards, Procter etc) have been picked so far, I would suggest creating a separate XI for players less than 15 matches. Or if we do not get 11 players of world class quality, they could be clubbed with Pre WW 1 team. This would ensure they don't miss out, at the same time, sometimes unfairly, get picked ahead of players with very long career.