• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm still not voting for Barry Richards. He should either be in the First XI if he qualifies or not at all if he doesn't.

Anyway:
Cook
Turner

Holding
Waqar
Not a bad take at all.

Should really be in one of the first two teams selected, but if not an argument can be made that he just doesn't qualify.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a bad take at all.

Should really be in one of the first two teams selected, but if not an argument can be made that he just doesn't qualify.
Yeah, I've kind of led myself to a similar conclusion. If I am judging him on pure quality and how highly I rate him as a batsman then I should already have picked him. If I am judging him based on Test performances, I can't really see how I'm picking him at all!

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If I am judging him on pure quality and how highly I rate him as a batsman then I should already have picked him. If I am judging him based on Test performances, I can't really see how I'm picking him at all!
A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
After the 8 teams are done, I’ll do two extra XIs. One pre WW1, and one for players with less than 20 tests. Players only eligible for one or the other.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
After the 8 teams are done, I’ll do two extra XIs. One pre WW1, and one for players with less than 20 tests. Players only eligible for one or the other.
So does that mean players with less than 20 tests aren’t eligible for the main XI’s?

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, I've kind of led myself to a similar conclusion. If I am judging him on pure quality and how highly I rate him as a batsman then I should already have picked him. If I am judging him based on Test performances, I can't really see how I'm picking him at all!
Four Tests for Barry Richards is a small sample size, but if you add-on his 10 x unofficial Tests (WSC Super Tests plus Rebel Tours) then you get;

14 Tests and 1359 runs at an average 64.71 (according to ‘Cricket Country’)

https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...s-of-the-1970s-had-been-official-tests-194978

Still not a load of Test matches I know, but the WSC/Rebel Tests still add weight to the argument that Barry Richards was one of the finest batsman of his era, of all time.

(Incidently, if you factor in WSC Super Tests then the batting average of Viv Richards increases from 50 to 51, and the batting average of Greg Chappell increases from 53 to 55 thus highlighting his skill against the Windies quicks)

Red

So does that mean players with less than 20 tests aren’t eligible for the main XI’s?
No, I don’t see why they should be. But it gives some scope for others who think players need to play an extended amount of tests to prove themselves.

Anyone who played a post WW1 test is eligible here, but these extra XIs will give the players not voted for in the 8 XIs some credit

Red

First XI

Jack Hobbs
Len Hutton
Don Bradman (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Garry Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Imran Khan
Malcolm Marshall