• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Grace of course has a strong case to be considered the greatest ever opening batsman (and maybe even the greatest ever cricketer) but it's too difficult to judge him as a Test batsman so I'd just as soon remove him and his contemporaries from consideration and give them an honourable mention.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone has their pet peeves, and mine will forever will be how does one select Sutcliffe over a batsman who actually played in the "modern" / professional phase of the game and against much better attacks.

Rant over.
And yet you have no compunction with picking Hutton everytime despite their careers overlapping. Don’t wanna derail this promising thread but this sort of **** pisses me off to no end.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Edit-Picked Hutton instead of Grace.As this is the all time test xi.
Hobbs

S.F Barnes
McGrath

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I personally pick him as a sort of insurance, *maybe* Hutton and Sutcliffe were better but might as well have at least one opener who actually played pace beyond 110 kph. :ph34r:
Well, good thing both Adcock and Lindwall are dead and can't read this.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
(I personally pick him as a sort of insurance), *maybe* Hutton and Sutcliffe were better but might as well have at least one opener who actually played pace beyond 110 kph. :ph34r:
But what is Gavasker gonna do when he comes against a great Spinner:ph34r:?It would be better to pick a modern opener as a sort of insurance imo.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Hobbs can play the spinners given that's the same pace the Pacers in his time were bowling anyway.
Didn’t knew you saw McDonald or Gregory bowl.That’s the same thing people will say after 50 years abt gavasker.
I would take D.G bradmans words rather than someone like you who said J.Gregory was as fast any bowler of 70s or 80s.Cant take someone who said lindwall,Miller weren’t bowling more than 110 seriously.
EDIT-My son could hit 120.Infact,he got to 124kmph when he was 16 without ever doing any sort of training .Was never interested abt cricket too.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And yet you have no compunction with picking Hutton everytime despite their careers overlapping. Don’t wanna derail this promising thread but this sort of **** pisses me off to no end.
Hutton did play against the post war Aussie pacers tbf to him which might be the tiebreaker for him.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Didn’t knew you saw McDonald or Gregory bowl. That’s the same thing people will say after 50 years abt gavasker.
I would take D.G bradmans words rather than someone like you who said J.Gregory was as fast any bowler of 70s or 80s.Cant take someone who said lindwall,Miller weren’t bowling more than 110 seriously.
Pretty sure Bradman mentioned that the bowlers of his time maxed out at 107 Kph thus making run scoring really easy in his time.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Update.

Hobbs - 17
Hutton - 14
Gavaskar - 6
Sutcliffe -2
Hayden - 1
Sehwag - 1
Harris - 1

Marshall - 20
McGrath - 12
Hadlee - 8
Cummins -1
Barnes - 1

Hobbs and Hutton comfortably in, and similarly Marshall and McGrath (currently). Marshall just missed out on a unanimous selection by 1 vote for a likely spinner.