• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems to be a thing on CW to call him "Herb" Sutcliffe - where has this come from? I've never seen him referred to anything other than Herbert.

Yes, I am as always tackling the big issues.

Last edited:

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
It seems to be a thing on CW to call him "Herb" Sutcliffe - where has this come from? I've never seen him referred to anything other than Herbert.

Yes, I am as always tackling the big issues.
I guess it’s because we refer most probably the greatest opening partnership of all time as hobbs and sutcliffe.

ataraxia

International Coach
Kallis
Knott

Reckon both Hammond and Lara are better down the order (and I know the stats don't reflect this).

ataraxia

International Coach
You do you, but weird given Kallis was a lot better at 4 than 3 and Hammond/Lara were the opposite.
Lara's #3 average is boosted by a couple of massive knocks (which are very unlikely to happen against the Martians' A team), and I read somewhere that Hammond didn't like batting at 3. A Kallis at first drop is more secure to my mind (though if the openers last 30 overs absolutely put Hammond or Lara in - in AT sides batting orders should be fluid).

subshakerz

International Coach
Lara's #3 average is boosted by a couple of massive knocks (which are very unlikely to happen against the Martians' A team), and I read somewhere that Hammond didn't like batting at 3. A Kallis at first drop is more secure to my mind (though if the openers last 30 overs absolutely put Hammond or Lara in - in AT sides batting orders should be fluid).
Hammond averaged nearly 75 at 3.