• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time world test XI selection

subshakerz

International Coach
Chapell effectively played 12 years and never played in India. After a certain point, he gave up touring altogether. Smith has played a decade already and averages much more with a much more creditable away record. Border had an insanely long career and excelled everywhere, even in India. Less ***y but more impressive record IMO. Chapell only played 87 tests to Border's 150+ on the trot. 150 tests in a row. That's insane. Even without the context of shouldering a Root-esque load. Smith has had a better peak and even if he ends up averaging 57 or something he'd still be ahead of Chapell based on his achievements.
Ponting had an incredible peak but also came down to Earth. He was averaging almost 60 at that point and I am sure if he retired then would be confirmed as the best since Bradman for Australia. Not sure Smith will be as well regarded if his next 4-5 years are mediocre. I do think if Smith retired now he would be better than Chappell but I think it also depends on how his career pans out. You are judged on how you played regardless of how long.

As for Border, well Steve Waugh also played a crazy amount of tests but I dont think that makes him a better bat. Border did shoulder more responsibility but just think Chappell was higher quality. Its a close call though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting had an incredible peak but also came down to Earth. He was averaging almost 60 at that point and I am sure if he retired then would be confirmed as the best since Bradman for Australia. Not sure Smith will be as well regarded if his next 4-5 years are mediocre. I do think if Smith retired now he would be better than Chappell but I think it also depends on how his career pans out. You are judged on how you played regardless of how long.

As for Border, well Steve Waugh also played a crazy amount of tests but I dont think that makes him a better bat. Border did shoulder more responsibility but just think Chappell was higher quality. Its a close call though.
Different players are remembered differently. Viv's decline was just as precipitous, but he is still remembered for his peak and destructive capabilities. Smith may well be more similar to Viv than Ponting with regards to legacy.

subshakerz

International Coach
I just think its safer to let his career play out before making these judgments. Perhaps he may end up Ponting level? As I said, he could also easily make it to the first XI also.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
CricketWeb Second Test XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Herb Sutcliffe
Brian Lara
-
-
-
Alan Knott +
Richard Hadlee
-
-
Curtly Ambrose

Lara and Knott both thru with a bit of room to spare.

- Select a spinner

- Select a number 4 batsman