• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alastair Cook - Will he break all the England records?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Hey all, this is my first big post. As you can tell I'm a big Cook fan, so I think it's appropriate that my first thread has him as the subject.

In the context of his career, I think we are at a turning point. Cook's lack of pushing on in the current Ashes series has worried me. I think his career can turn in two directions: breaking all the records or a slow fade into obscurity during his supposed batting prime.

Anyways, concerning his batting:

• Do you think Cook will achieve more than 10,000 runs for England?
  • Do you think Cook will achieve an average of 50+?
  • Do you think Cook will achieve 35+ centuries?
  • Do you think he will surpass Sunil Gavaskar as the "greatest" opening batsman in terms of numbers?
  • Do you think he will play well enough to surpass Border's consecutive test appearances record?
While his captaincy has been skittish and overly defensive while I have been watching cricket, does anyone think he can challenge the 16 consecutive won tests record?

I look forward to your answers!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think he'll pass10k runs and 35 tons. I think we'll rest him somewhere along the line so he won't break Border's.

I think his average will likely stay around the 48-49.5 mark.

As for the sixteen wins, even if we were good enough for such a record (we're not), you've still got the fact that 7 or 8 of those would need to be in England. The English weather is a great leveller.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Think he'll pass 10,000 runs and 35 tons. Will probably surpass Gavaskar's quantity numbers but not his average.

Borders consecutive tests record is still years away. He's never missed a test through injury in his life, but you just never know what could happen in such a long period. If I had to bet, I'd say no.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has he missed any since he was ill for what would have been his 3rd? Pretty impressive run in this day and age if not tbf.

Adwin

Cricket Spectator
5 figure test runs, and 35 centuries look almost a gimme at this stage in his career. He'll certainly be setting new benchmarks for English batsmen.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see him averaging 50 even if he hogs all the available reviews - but he should reach 10,000 runs with something to spare - 35 tons he might get and he may stay fit to break Border's record but 16 wins? He couldn't manage that if we played all our Tests against Bangladesh and Australia let alone proper opponents

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He will walk past 10,000 test runs and will beat 35 tons. I think he will pass Gavaskar as the highest scoring opener but will end up with a test average around 47. As for the Border and win runs no.

Impressive that Prior has played 56 tests in a row too.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thing to really aim for ofc

Series wins as England captain

Code:
Player         Series Played  Series Wins   

Andrew Strauss       15           10
Michael Vaughan      16           10
Mike Brearley         9            7
Peter may            10            7
Ray Illingworth       9            6
Nasser Hussain       15            6
Douglas Jardine       6            5
Colin Cowdrey         9            5
Graeme Gooch         12            5
Alastair Cook         5            4
WG Grace              6            4
Len Hutton            6            4
CB Fry                3            3
Percy Chapman         5            3
Johnny Douglas        5            3
Wally Hammond         6            3
Bob Willis            6            3
Ted Dexter            7            3
David Gower           9            3
Mike Atherton        14            3

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The Vaughan-Strauss-Cook run is amazing when you look at the record of Atherton and Hussein (and presumably Stewart too).

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Series wins as England captain

Code:
Player         Series Played  Series Wins   

Andrew Strauss       15           10
Michael Vaughan      16           10
Mike Brearley         9            7
Peter may            10            7
Ray Illingworth       9            6
Nasser Hussain       15            6
Douglas Jardine       6            5
Colin Cowdrey         9            5
Graeme Gooch         12            5
Alastair Cook         5            4
WG Grace              6            4
Len Hutton            6            4
CB Fry                3            3
Percy Chapman         5            3
Johnny Douglas        5            3
Wally Hammond         6            3
Bob Willis            6            3
Ted Dexter            7            3
David Gower           9            3
Mike Atherton        14            3
That's incredible, did Cook play a significant part in the series win as captain bar the current Ashes campaign? Do you think if Cook lasts as captain until 2018 he'll have 15 series wins under his belt?

The Vaughan-Strauss-Cook run is amazing when you look at the record of Atherton and Hussein (and presumably Stewart too).
What is it about the England players of the past that made them a step worse than their predecessors? Infrastructure?

If he captains England until 2018 then without doubt he'll be the top of this list too!

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, Gilly never missed a test throughout his entire career. Pretty damn impressive. As for Cook, since England play so much test cricket, he should easily pass 10000 and get 35 tons. Be very impressed if he can match Border's recod and I doubt we'll see anyone breaking that 16 match win streak, ever.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
Many of you don't believe that Cook can achieve an average greater than 50. Is this because it's difficult to average 50 opening in England (50% of the time) against a Dukes?

Is a Steve Waugh style chase to 50 average only possible for a non-English cricketer batting in the middle order?

Adwin

Cricket Spectator
His record in England does seem to be something of a factor. He averages around 43 from 53 tests. In India and Australia, that rises to above 60, so that is suggestive that the ball or conditions in England aren't conducive to Cook scoring big runs consistently.
But that's not to rubbish him completely. He's a very good player, and one bowlers get frustrated with when he hangs around, but I wouldn't say at this moment in time I'd put him up there at a 50 average by the end of his career. With some improvement, it's possible though.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
His avg is more likely to fall down to 45 or below than end up at 50+
I'm interested to know why you'd think that?

3 years ago Cooks average was 42.80 after 58 tests, it is now 48.08 after 96.....a rise of over 5.

I think someone posted earlier in this thread that Cooks career will go one of 2 ways over the next couple of years. He will either power on and be England's rock or he will slide back to his pre 2010 inconsistent days........I couldn't tell you which way it will go, but I'd say it is just as likely he'll end his career with a 50+ average as it is a sub 45 one.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cook's average is just over 48 at the moment, I think he can maintain that but don't see him going above 50.