• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AFL v NRL Finals Tipping Challenge 2012

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Haha, a proud Sharks supporter?
who wouldnt be with guys like Whats his name and Who's Its but on a serious note Sharks to win the comp either next year or 2107

David

International 12th Man
Follow both. Proud Fitzroy tragic. Dragons follower

What, you want me to tip too?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
League fan; Hull over here, St George in Oz. Aussie Rules seems a mess to my uneducated eyes.

Anyway, nothwithstanding:

St. Kilda(6)
Adelaide(2)
West Coast(1)
Collingwood(5)

Newcastle(4)
Brisbane(3)
Bulldogs(2)
Melbourne(1)

cameeel

International Captain
steds said:
Why should their schedule be dictated by another sport?
Even if it weren't AFL, it makes no sense to schedule an NRL final in direct competition with an AFL final involving the most supported team in the state. Particularly when there's bugger-all interest in NRL in Victoria.

As Benchmark said, it's in the best interests of Victorian Rugby and the Storm to not play a match in direct competition with Collingwood or Essendon.

Why not play on Saturday when they'll have Melbourne all to themselves (sports-wise)

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
steds said:
Why should their schedule be dictated by another sport?
The NRL thinks the AFL should bow down to them.

NRL hits out at 'arrogant' AFL

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20352109-23211,00.html

By Dean Ritchie

September 05, 2006 ANGRY NRL officials last night launched the first shot in a bitter cross-code war, accusing AFL management of attempting to sabotage Melbourne Storm's premiership campaign.

NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley labelled the AFL "arrogant" and claimed his winter football rivals were treating Melbourne Storm "with contempt".

The drama comes over match scheduling with the AFL playing Collingwood's finals match against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG on Sunday afternoon - in direct opposition to Melbourne's home final against Parramatta at Olympic Park.

But the AFL's move has drawn a stinging rebuke from Annesley, who said: "Whilst I admit the MCG is the AFL's traditional home, the AFL administration has once again decided to treat the Melbourne Storm and the NRL with contempt.

"Whilst the AFL decision will have no impact on the crowd that turns out for the Storm-Parramatta match, this type of disregard for the fans, most of whom will be Victorian residents, does nothing but reinforce the arrogance of the AFL.

"The AFL knows full well that the McIntyre system (NRL's finals format) requires week one finals to be played in sequence whilst their own website readily concedes that week one matches in the AFL finals series can be played in any order whatsoever.

"Everyone on the planet has known for weeks that the Storm would be playing on Sunday afternoon at Olympic Park.

"Yet the AFL couldn't care less about inconveniencing fans by creating massive congestion in the MCG-Olympic Park precinct.

"The NRL goes out of its way to avoid clashes of major events right throughout the season, particularly at Aussie Stadium and the SCG when the Swans are playing at home, yet we get absolutely no co-operation whatsoever in return from the AFL."

Annesley said the AFL was becoming increasingly concerned at Melbourne's success.

"Only last month we agreed to co-operate with them to avoid scheduling conflicts with the Titans on the Gold Coast next year," he said.

"It would appear that we are becoming much more of a thorn in their side in Melbourne than they are prepared to admit."

AFL communications manager Patrick Keane last night laughed off Annesley's suggestions.

"We've programmed finals at 2.30pm for more than a decade," Keane said.

"To be honest, most people wouldn't have known when the Storm was playing, especially at the time we scheduled our games."

Storm pivot Scott Hill expressed disappointment at the scheduling.

----------------------------------------

The NRL are having a laugh if they think a Collingwood final is not going to be played at the MCG and it has to be on the Sunday to give the Pies a seven day break which they earned from finishing 5th. Fair dinkum 8-)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its obvious neither were going to change, its been known for about 8 weeks that melbourne would almost certainly be playing in that time slot on that day and i dont think anyone ever expected Collingwood to change or move their match.
Storm will still get a good crowd anyway...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
League Supporter

St. Kilda(6) V Melbourne(7)
Adelaide(2) V Fremantle(3)
West Coast(1) V Sydney(4)
Collingwood(5) V Western Bulldogs(8)

Newcastle(4) V Manly(5)
Brisbane(3) V St. George Illawarra(6)
Bulldogs(2) V Canberra(7)
Melbourne(1) V Parramatta(8)

R_D

International Debutant
AFL fan, don't know much about NRL.

St. Kilda
Fremantle
West Coast
Western Bulldogs

Newcastle
Brisbane
Bulldogs
Melbourne

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
League fan; Hull over here, St George in Oz. Aussie Rules seems a mess to my uneducated eyes.

Anyway, nothwithstanding:

St. Kilda(6)
Adelaide(2)
West Coast(1)
Collingwood(5)

Newcastle(4)
Brisbane(3)
Bulldogs(2)
Melbourne(1)
Why St. George?

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
Why anyone else?
I only asked, because behind The Roosters the Dragons are the most hated club in the comp and it would seem strange for a foreign supporter of the NRL to choose the Dragons unless there was some other reason behind it.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
League fan.

St. Kilda(6) V Melbourne(7)
Adelaide(2) V Fremantle(3)
West Coast(1) V Sydney(4)
Collingwood(5) V Western Bulldogs(8)

Newcastle(4) V Manly(5)
Brisbane(3) V St. George Illawarra(6)
Bulldogs(2) V Canberra(7)
Melbourne(1) V Parramatta(8)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
I only asked, because behind The Roosters the Dragons are the most hated club in the comp and it would seem strange for a foreign supporter of the NRL to choose the Dragons unless there was some other reason behind it.
Largely arbitrary decision. I'm certain I've explained before, but my thinking went:

I'm English;
Patron saint of England is St George;
I'll support team named after our patron saint.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
Largely arbitrary decision. I'm certain I've explained before, but my thinking went:

I'm English;
Patron saint of England is St George;
I'll support team named after our patron saint.
Fair enough I guess, I bet you're glad the Patron Saint of England wasn't a rabbit or something...:laugh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Hehe. The Roosters and the Dragons are two of the NRL teams I like.