• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adam Gilchrist

luffy

International Captain
If he dosn't make a big score in this test, i believe the selectors should give Brad Haddin at least one test match. What does everyone else think about it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way, I doubt they will ever drop Gilchrist to be perfectly honest. He is in a prolonged form slump but scored a good 80 against South Africa and a match saving century against Bangladesh which shows he still has the ability.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know about 'ever', but considering the amount of times he has saved the Aussie skins, he should at least be given the entire Ashes tour, regardless of his form. It would be utterly unfair, and quite stupid, to not give him that chance.

After McGrath and Warne, he's been the key to why Australia have been dominating. Coming at no. 7, he either flays the attacks after a good starts, or destroys the hope of an upset if early wickets have fallen. He'd easily make my all time XI, he's just too good. Even if he scores ducks most of this series, he has to be given that chance. Just has to, he's been too valuable, for way too long.

If he has a totally terrible series, then maybe you can start thinking about a replacement.

Last edited:

Perm

Exactly, his keeping has been top notch and his batting has fallen away a bit but he's still as dangerous as ever.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
At the end of the day, he may not be the player he was, but he's still most likely ten times the player Brad Haddin will ever be.

aussie tragic

International Captain
IMO, Gilchrist is the best Keeper/batsman ever and I consider that him batting at # 7 is the main reason for Aussie winning so many games. So he deserves a bit of loyalty from the selectors.

btw, it'll all be moot tomorrow anyway after he scores a 100 in this test match :)

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't think I'd ever drop him - unless maybe if his keeping fell completely apart. I'm disappointed that his weakness has been successfully exploited lately, and I'm hoping he can get past this and start making runs again.

Just such a valuable player to have up our sleeve, and I think his role in our extended run of success is sometimes underrated. I know people talk about Glenn McGrath's absence, but England's neutralising of Gilly had a huge impact on them winning the Ashes, IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
At the end of the day, he may not be the player he was, but he's still most likely ten times the player Brad Haddin will ever be.
I wouldn't say that. Haddin's a pretty solid keeper and he's a very good batsman. His FC average in the last few years is over 50, and for his career it's approaching 40 now. He's the only consistent NSW batsman other than Jaques in recent times. He'll do a good job once Gilchrist is gone.

Really though, Gilchrist is in career best form with the gloves and in the top eschelon of keepers in the world at the moment, and even if he never makes big runs with the bat again (which I imagine he will at some point), he's still worth his place for as long as he wants it. Even if he averages under 10 for the series, he won't get dropped. Worth remembering he made a match-turning 144 in his last test series as well. How often does any keeper in the world play innings like that, other than Gilchrist? Hell, how often do they make centuries at all? Holding him to high standards is fine, but he doesn't have to average 50 to be a good player.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I wouldn't say that. Haddin's a pretty solid keeper and he's a very good batsman. His FC average in the last few years is over 50, and for his career it's approaching 40 now. He's the only consistent NSW batsman other than Jaques in recent times. He'll do a good job once Gilchrist is gone.

Really though, Gilchrist is in career best form with the gloves and in the top eschelon of keepers in the world at the moment, and even if he never makes big runs with the bat again (which I imagine he will at some point), he's still worth his place for as long as he wants it. Even if he averages under 10 for the series, he won't get dropped. Worth remembering he made a match-turning 144 in his last test series as well. How often does any keeper in the world play innings like that, other than Gilchrist? Hell, how often do they make centuries at all? Holding him to high standards is fine, but he doesn't have to average 50 to be a good player.
Fair play about Haddin, not really seen enough of him to judge really. Was just basing it on Gilchrist's status as an all-time great - didn't realise Haddin was actually pretty good in his own right.

andyc

Barney Rubble said:
Fair play about Haddin, not really seen enough of him to judge really. Was just basing it on Gilchrist's status as an all-time great - didn't realise Haddin was actually pretty good in his own right.
He's pushing for a spot in the ODI team just on batting alone.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose a question to ask is will Gilchrist stay at 7 when Watson comes in or will he move up to 6 like he has the other times Watson has played?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, he won't. Watson will bat at 6. He's been talked up by Hilditch and company as a number 6 for a while now.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How old is Gilchirst? 35?

If he is dropped now he could be qualified for England before he is 40.
Bring it on :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
How old is Gilchirst? 35?

If he is dropped now he could be qualified for England before he is 40.
Bring it on :)
Yup, 35 years 20 days.

TBH, I don't know why a lot of young Indian spinners or what not just move to South Africa or England.

And vice versa..some big guys who can bowl fast from other countries move to India. If I had any sort of talent, thats what I'd do. If you're a young fast bowler in SA or Australia or something, you can make a lot more money playing for Indian team, assuming you make the national team.

Please. Someone? Bracken, Johnson? Wanna come over?

We're desperate, I'm sure the prime minister can give honorary citizenship and make you eligible right away.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Good to see him bat well today.

I`m of the opinion that as long as he is the best gloveman in the country, he should have the job. He doesn`t need to average 50 to stay in the team IMO.

Perm

He sets himself such high standards and has set these standards for wicker keepers all around the world so it shouldn't be of major concern he is only averaging around 35, sure that's poor by his standards but still perfectly acceptable.