• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Test Team Of Players Who Played 10 Tests Or Less

tony p

First Class Debutant
We have done the Best Xl's of Countries who never played Test cricket, and also One Test wonders.

So i thought it would be interesting to pick a team of players who played 10 Tests or less and see how it would look. ( i have plenty of time on my hands)
If you have played 10 matches you have been given enough opportunities to show if you are good enough.

The following team would give any Test side a great game and probably win most of them. Nearly all players could consider themselves unfortunate not to play more Tests, things out of their control meant most played less than they deserved.

BARRY RICHARDS, S.A. 4 TESTS, 508@72.57, 2 CENT
JACK RUSSELL, ENG, 10 TESTS, 910@56.87, 5 CENT
STEWIE DEMPSTER, N.Z., 10 TESTS, 723@65.72, 2 CENT
MARTIN DONNELLY, N.Z., 7 TESTS, 582@52.90, 1 CENT
MIKE PROCTOR, S.A., 7 TESTS, 226@25.11, 41 WKTS@15.02
VIJAY MERCHANT, IND.,10 TESTS, 859@47.72, 3 CENT
JAMES FOSTER, ENG, 7 TESTS, 226@25.11, 17 CATCHES, 1 STUMPING
BOB APPLEYARD, ENG, 9 TESTS, 31 WKTS@17.87
DAVID LARTER, ENG, 10 TESTS, 37 WKTS@25.43
WAYNE DANIEL, W.I., 10 TESTS, 36 WKTS@25.27
JACK COWIE, N.Z., 9 TESTS, 45 WKTS@21.53

We know why Richards and Proctor didn't play more
Both Dempster and Donnelly are regarded as two of N.Z.'s finest early batsman, Dempster hitting N.Z's first test century, but moved to England in 1933. Donnelly's 7 Tests spanned 12 Years, (1937-49).
Russell's last 3 Test innings were 96, 140+111,v S.A. Durban in 1922/23. He became ill and when England next played Test Cricket in 1924, Herbert Sutcliffe was on the scene with Hobbs.
Merchant's Test career spanned 18 years, (1933-51). He also suffered ill health and missed Tours of Australia and West Indies, all his Tests were against England.
Foster was highly regarded, but his batting was not, despite averaging 36 in first class cricket.
Appleyard suffered from Tuberculosis. He took 200 wkts in 1951, but only played 1 match in the next two seasons, but never let England down when he played. Stephen Chalke wrote a great book about him, called " No Coward Soul", well worth finding if you can, a great read.
Larter was quite injury prone.He was 6ft 7in.
Daniel was competing with just so many bowlers, he did well to get 10 Tests. He would have played 100 in this era.
Cowie was affected by N.Z.'s lack of tests in his era. He played all his tests consecutively, just 9, between 1937-49.

This side i think would perform well. Other players are welcome.

I have not picked current players who have played 10 Tests or less, as they still have a chance to play more.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Good side.

Ranji Hordern, JJ Ferris or Manny Martindale all deserve a place ahead of David Larter, IMO. On a spinning wicket, I would pick Hordern to support Appleyard. Hordern was a noted early exponent of the googly and took 32 wickets in the 1911/12 Ashes series. On a green top, Martindale could work very effectively with Cowie, Proctor and Daniel. He was one of the world's best fast bowlers of the 1930s and formed a formidable partnership with Learie Constantine. Otherwise, Ferris' left arm swing would add variety to complement the pace of Cowie, Proctor and Daniel and the spin of Appleyard.

Archie Jackson, Brad Hodge and Rusi Modi are all contenders for the batting slots. I would move Merchant up to his natural batting position to open with Richards and replace Jack Russell with Archie Jackson. Yes, Russell was very successful in the few Tests he played, but his first class record, while very respectable, does not inspire confidence that he would have been able to maintain such form over a longer Test career. The legend of Jackson is extremely strong and he holds a much stronger place in the cricketing pantheon of greats.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I picked a "1-9 Tests" XI in the ATG thread a few months ago: Richards, Apte, Jackson, Hodge, Donnelly, Irvine, Procter, Trott, Cowie, Appleyard, Iverson

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Plenty of batters from the Australian golden age. Brett Schultz just qualifies and should get at least a mention. Gets in the team for mine.

kingkallis

International Coach
Barry Richards /
Vijay Merchant /
Stewie Dempster /
Martin Donnelly /
Archie Jackson /
Lee Irvine / +
Albert Trott / o
Mike Proctor o /
Bob Appleyard o
Jack Cowie o
Brett Schultz o

I love the top order as well this bowling line up which has necessary variety.

I'd have loved to include Jack Iverson as well but couldnt resist going with Trott.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Brad Hodge (5 Tests 503 @ 55.9) definitely warrants more than a little consideration.
Colin Milburn (7 Tests 654 @ 46.7) and Martin Love (5 Tests 233 @ 46.6) would be contenders but check out the stats in Tony's team - where would they fit in?
Stuart Law is mentioned - and is listed in the "One Test Wonders" team.

Bob Appleyard was indeed an interesting case. He could bowl his off-spin or medium pace off the same run-up and would sometimes open the bowling for Yorkshire with Fred Trueman. Despite suffering childhood tuberculosis, he lived to be 90. It was a knee injury that interrupted much of his career. Our New Zealand friends wouldn't like me bringing up his 4 for 7 when New Zealand was rolled for 26 back in the '50s. This still remains the lowest innings score in Tests.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
DBSP Kuruppu wicket keeper, average 53.33, 1 century, 4 tests, easily can replace Foster. Good enough gloveman, especially against spin.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Of the England players in relatively recent times I’d say Owais Shah, James Foster and Graham Onions were decent players to consider.