• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Long Name

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eldeniya Medagedara Dilshan Yasika Munaweera (SL)
Gayashan Ranga De Silva Munasinghe (SL)
Mathurage Don Kusal Janith Perera (SL)
Narangoda Liyanaarachchilage Thisara Chirantha Perera (SL)
Palihawadana Arachchilage Ralp Priyamal Perera (SL)
Kariyawasam Tirana Gamage Dhammika Prasad (SL)
Paththamperuma Arachchige Don Lakshan Rangika Sandakan (SL)
Jayasundara Ranasinghe Mudiyanselage Vikum Bandara Sanjaya (SL)
Hettige Don Rumesh Lahiru Thirimanne (SL)
Victor Rocha Cunha F Poubel (BRA)
Bentota Baduge Joy Lenin Perera (ITA)
George Hayward Thomas Simpson-Hayward (ENG)

First and last names are the same:
Senanayake Mudiyanselage Sachithra Madhushanka Senanayake (SL)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Re J.W.H.T. Douglas and Boy Brumby's comment -
Doesn't he have a gold medal in boxing from the 1908 Olympics too?
He did indeed.
For some time I thought there was a cloud over his victory in that his father refereed his bout with Australia's Snowy Baker. I decided to look into this and found the following:

"In 1908 Douglas won an Olympic gold medal as a middleweight boxer. All three of his bouts, including the final, described by The Times as "one of the most brilliant exhibitions of skilful boxing, allied to tremendous hitting, ever seen.", were held on the same day. The silver medal winner, Snowy Baker, 44 years later falsely claimed that Douglas's father was the sole judge and referee.
Baker never publicly contested the close points verdict which Douglas, who scored a second-round knockdown over him and won in their Olympic final. Yet, in a 1952 interview, he claimed that Douglas's father had refereed the fight, leading to widespread suspicion of a dodgy decision. In reality Douglas senior was at ringside, to present the medals, in his role as president of the Amateur Boxing Association of England (ABA). The real referee was Eugene Corri, who did not have to give a casting vote as the two judges agreed that Douglas was a narrow winner."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Douglas

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry Thomas Raphael York Thornton (is he still a thing? Is he still injured? Cricinfo actually found him fifth initial too)
Funny you should mention Thornton, just heard he's moving down to Melbourne for next season. Got through most of last season without injury, not sure if he's still quite as rapid as he was

Really liked what relatively little I saw a couple of years back

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Eldeniya Medagedara Dilshan Yasika Munaweera (SL)
Gayashan Ranga De Silva Munasinghe (SL)
Mathurage Don Kusal Janith Perera (SL)
Narangoda Liyanaarachchilage Thisara Chirantha Perera (SL)
Palihawadana Arachchilage Ralp Priyamal Perera (SL)
Kariyawasam Tirana Gamage Dhammika Prasad (SL)
Paththamperuma Arachchige Don Lakshan Rangika Sandakan (SL)
Jayasundara Ranasinghe Mudiyanselage Vikum Bandara Sanjaya (SL)
Hettige Don Rumesh Lahiru Thirimanne (SL)
Victor Rocha Cunha F Poubel (BRA)
Bentota Baduge Joy Lenin Perera (ITA)
George Hayward Thomas Simpson-Hayward (ENG)

First and last names are the same:
Senanayake Mudiyanselage Sachithra Madhushanka Senanayake (SL)
That guy is a Lankan expat

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
on account of what i know about lankan names that’s not pronounced “bendage” eh? isn’t it a bit more, er, homoerotic?
the "e" sound as "a" in "act". And "nd" had no equivalent in English it's a nasal version of "th" as in "thus".

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
the "e" sound as "a" in "act". And "nd" had no equivalent in English it's a nasal version of "th" as in "thus".
i guess that's the same name as Baduge in the guy who plays for Italy?

(latin transliteration, the bane of every proper name)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
i guess that's the same name as Baduge in the guy who plays for Italy?

(latin transliteration, the bane of every proper name)
"Ba" is as "Bu" in bud. "d" stands for "th" of "thus". "ge" is sounded close as "gay". I am not familiar with English phonetics alphabet. It can better represent these names. Sinhalese is a phonetic language and has nearly 95% of consonants and vowels that humans can make (notable exception is clicks seen in African languages). It is very easy for us to copy accents of other countries, because we are used to making lot of different sounds.

And the British will know how different Sri Lankan expats speak compared to Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi counterparts. It finally comes down to how adpated your primary language to copy sounds.

Last edited: