• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few more mods with ban powers?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not that I need such things, but d'you really imagine the next account hasn't been created by now?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, for that matter, do most other posters, otherwise he'd never have been banned ITFP. But he was. 18 months and more ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you seriously not seen the countless disquiet concerning him?

Actually, strike that - you clearly haven't. I'd be sorely tempted to chuck in a rolleyes if Gelman wasn't around.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's been coming for the last 18 months - though not solid - and I only started doing anything at all relating to it in March this year...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
A good point has been raised in this thread though. Rich T and I will look into this further once the WC is over.
Bump.

A couple of instances have arisen in the past couple of days which made me think it'd be a good idea to bring this up again seeing as how the WC is over. The way I see it, if you trust a certain person enough to him/her moderation responsibilities, you should trust them them enough to give them the power to ban trolls.

Have you given any thought to this James?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bump.

A couple of instances have arisen in the past couple of days which made me think it'd be a good idea to bring this up again seeing as how the WC is over. The way I see it, if you trust a certain person enough to him/her moderation responsibilities, you should trust them them enough to give them the power to ban trolls.

Have you given any thought to this James?
What sort of instances do you mean?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Prince EWS made a good point in one of his posts yesterday, he didn't have the power to ban these trolls but he was just deleting their posts as they were made. Obviously it is more time consuming that way, but effective in the short term.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I haven't had the chance to think about this actually guys, but its a valid point you all raise.

It probably will occur within the next few weeks as the new mods gain more experience.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Prince EWS made a good point in one of his posts yesterday, he didn't have the power to ban these trolls but he was just deleting their posts as they were made. Obviously it is more time consuming that way, but effective in the short term.
Yeah, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well have the power to ban the guy..

It might not really be my place to say since I am a mod, however I think we should have ban powers - but only to be used in extreme cases. Bannings of long-term members who "stuff up" (eg. the Fiery ban) should be left to James IMO, but I think mods should have the power to ban in case it is really obvious - like a spam bot, a complete troll (eg. FILOCRICKET) or a recurring duplicate account.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but if I'm going to do that, I might as well have the power to ban the guy..

It might not really be my place to say since I am a mod, however I think we should have ban powers - but only to be used in extreme cases. Bannings of long-term members who "stuff up" (eg. the Fiery ban) should be left to James IMO, but I think mods should have the power to ban in case it is really obvious - like a spam bot, a complete troll (eg. FILOCRICKET) or a recurring duplicate account.
Yeah obviously it would be much more simple for the mods to have ban powers, but the deletion method is just as effective, especially if James was unwilling to grant those powers to the mods. I can't really speak on his behalf though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Totally agree. Maybe we could have some sort of system were we could ban members who are clearly trolls or out to advertise, and then James could OK it next time he came online, and give them a perma-ban or whatever, and leave the main serious cases for him.