• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Couple of things.

Warnock's kick... what was he thinking? Jamar wasn't leading (and perhaps he should have been) but jeez if you're kicking to a guy who isn't leading, kick it to him in space and make him lead. Don't kick it over his head when he's flat footed.

Andy Maher really needs to take a hint. Jamar was clearly wanting out of the interview, yet kept asking questions.

Lockyer's kick at goal was pretty gun in the circumstances.

Is Moloney back?

Jack Watts running into his teammate and then the tackle that resulted in Brad Dick's goal for Collingwood to hit the front was wtf?!?!?? I know we should give him time, but that was really embarrassing

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Couple of things.

Warnock's kick... what was he thinking? Jamar wasn't leading (and perhaps he should have been) but jeez if you're kicking to a guy who isn't leading, kick it to him in space and make him lead. Don't kick it over his head when he's flat footed.

Andy Maher really needs to take a hint. Jamar was clearly wanting out of the interview, yet kept asking questions.

Lockyer's kick at goal was pretty gun in the circumstances.

Is Moloney back?

Jack Watts running into his teammate and then the tackle that resulted in Brad Dick's goal for Collingwood to hit the front was wtf?!?!?? I know we should give him time, but that was really embarrassing
Yeah Warnock was just mind boggling. What I think he was trying to do was kick it flatter out in front of Jamar so he could extend the arms and take it out in front, but didn't execute it and went over his head. Though having said that, the old saying 'better to make a long mistake than a short one' rings so true. Just kick it long along the boundary ffs.

Maher is a flog, worst person in football. How does he have a job? He's not insightful on football, humorous or a good interviewer. Just beat it.

Moloney was amazing today. Hope he can string some good games together.

Watts was a liability again today. I know I'm pretty hard on him, but you can't have a guy in your team who isn't up to it yet. I'm sure there'll come a day when he is good enough, it's just not at the moment.

Can I just say how much of a Nathan Jones fan I am? Tough as, great kick. Exactly what the Dees need.

benchmark00

Not a great kick, turns the pill over far too much. Love his endeavour though.
Great kick = penetrating in this context.

Edit: Should probably explain. Dees gameplan of run and handball through the midfield needs someone who can penetrate the forward 50 and carry over the defence. Jones is that.

Last edited:

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year

Edit: Should probably explain. Dees gameplan of run and handball through the midfield needs someone who can penetrate the forward 50 and carry over the defence. Jones is that.
I agree. The knock on Jones is always that he can't kick, but his kicking only lets him down after he's done something awesome in congestion anyway. Players like that can learn to make better decisions.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

See what you mean; Moloney's a perfect example of that, even if he took some ordinary options out wide towards the end of the game today.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel dumber for having read this. Mark Stevens can add his name to my list of part-time footy journalists, full-time inane dribblers.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Footy's ok again, best game I've seen from North in a while. Next Geelong anyone? Side starting to look very similar in make-up; tough yet skilled mids, dangerous mid-sized fowards and good backmen who damage on the rebound. Would've beat Carlton by 10 goals with Petrie up forward, exciting times.

Mark Jamar sold his soul to the devil for talent, must've.

Matt79

Global Moderator
fmd, what a painful display from the Pies yesterday. To take nothing away from Melbourne, who are obviously a helluva a lot better than they were last year, and deserved to win given how we played, that was embarressing. I don't generally turn on the boys when they don't win, but jeez I was pissed off watching after quarter time, and pretty disappointed with what's going on. We certainly didn't deserve the two points based on how we played after quarter time yesterday. How the **** Jolly and Fraser, rucking in tandem, let themselves get so comprehensively pantsed by Jamar is beyond me - including the times when Jamar was actually having a breather on the bench and freakin' Aaron Davey or someone was rucking. Travis Cloke played a decent game but unfortunately, given he's our key 'forward', he played it on the wing. Leon Davis, oh so unusually, stunk up the 'G. Thank god we had Dane Swann, Brad Dick and Dale Thomas yesterday. Great to see Ben Reid get the Rising Star nod as well - recognition for what's becoming his breakout year.

I think the bye is coming at a really good time for us, given we've lost three matches in the last month :(. Hopefully Malthouse and the boys might decide that their brilliant new strategy of playing without a visible forward line and compiling scores 1 point at a time should be dumped in favour of how we were playing a couple of months ago.

The following is a list of players who I would not shed a tear if they never played another game for the Pies:

- you've been a ruckman in the AFL system for 13 years, and you still can't take a centre bounce without falling on your ass 9 times out of 10. Or mark up.

- learn to show up in big games ****. Had one awesome year, but has reverted to being a hack this year.

At least we should have Maxwell, Didak, Ball and Dawes back for the match against Sydney in a couple of weeks.

Matt79

Global Moderator
2009 aside, one of his problems has been that he's rarely had any middle ground. He's either been great, or he's had absolute horrors. He's not fit enough to play in the midfield like he has been in the last couple of years, and he's actually not much good as a small goal sneak when there are numbers back.

I'm not turning on him after just one poor game. He was worst afield in a losing GF, he's gone to water in successive finals campaigns in more recent years, and last trade period, I wanted him gone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha 2002 GF. 0 touches yeah?

Ah well, still rate Davis. Think teams need players like him. Brad Dick couldn't do what Davis did against the Dogs.

Also just found out Hardwick was the one who sent the runner to tell Jack Riewoldt not to do any media, and then apologised on Monday.

Fair enough.

Burgey

Just saw the highlights on Fox.

Bloody hell, three of Franklin's goals were brilliant. That one from 55 on the boundary line, wrong side for a left footer was ridiculous.