• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

a bonafide great and a mediocre fielder...

Bouncer

State Regular
Imran Khan was not best of fielders...he wouldn't dive even to save his own life....i remember in a test match against WI in 91, Wasim came twice on hatrick in same over...and on of those occasions, Imran dropped a dolly, an absolute dolly, ( i think it was Walsh the batsmen, who tried to play the ball towards midwicket/mid on got a leading edge and Imran spilled that chance........Wasim's expression was price less.....anyone else....any one other than Imran and akram would have killed the guy on ground...but since it was the big khan...akram couldn't even express his disappointment

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a "great" batsman but a fine one, and one with such a silky touch that his wooden and erratic fielding was quite incongruous: Michael Vaughan

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm, I always remembered Vaughan to be quite good actually. Might just be watching him when I was younger and knew less about cricket though. I think his crocked knees might have something to do with him being a bit immobile towards the end of his career though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a "great" batsman but a fine one, and one with such a silky touch that his wooden and erratic fielding was quite incongruous: Michael Vaughan
I remember him dropping a catch and hurling the ball at the stumps in frustration and running a batsman out. IIRC it was against South Africa thought I think I'm wrong. If someone could find a Youtube clip or even Cricinfo commentary or just confirm I'm right that'd be ideal for my sanity. :)

Edit : Not South Africa.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember him dropping a catch and hurling the ball at the stumps in frustration and running a batsman out. IIRC it was against South Africa thought I think I'm wrong. If someone could find a Youtube clip or even Cricinfo commentary or just confirm I'm right that'd be ideal for my sanity. :)

Edit : Not South Africa.
Bangladesh in the WC I think

Jarquis

Bangladesh in the WC I think

Mahmood to Shahriar Nafees, OUT, well, that was quite extraordinary. Vaughan, who's not the best fielder in the world, made his normal efforts look Jonty-like by dropping that most armchair of sitters at short midwicket. Fortunately for him he put his anger to good, if accidental, use by flinging the ball over to Nixon ... and getting the run out. Nafees, then, keeps his wicket and Bashar loses his - Bashar had given up, and was just dawdling, having turned his back on Vaughan, expecting him to hold on to that one

Habibul Bashar run out 4 (21m 18b 0x4 0x6) SR: 22.22
Yeah, Test and ODI, SA and Bangladesh it's all the same to me.

Jarquis

Yeah but well remembered all the same mate - and well dug out by GIMH. Cricket chat was the winner.
A chance to go 0/2 here.... but was it against South Africa where he took a catch / made an attempt to field the ball and his trousers fell down :laugh:.

bagapath

International Captain
m.vaughan
g.boycott
---
---
---
---
imran *
---
kumble
walsh
chandrasekar

am thinking parthiv patel or dinesh karthik would be wonderful as the wk for this team. anyone worse behind the wickets you can think of?

Xuhaib

International Coach
m.vaughan
g.boycott
---
---
---
---
imran *
---
kumble
walsh
chandrasekar

am thinking parthiv patel or dinesh karthik would be wonderful as the wk for this team. anyone worse behind the wickets you can think of?
Zaheer Abbas and Mo Yo should be included, cant think where you can get your keeper, maybe Dravid great bat but a very poor keeper even if he was makeshift

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
absolutely. and how about mcgill?

we have too many leggies already.

no batsmen? any opening batsman? how good was anwar? I dont remember him as a fielder at all.
Leg-spinners, as a general rule, just aren't very good at cricket. Can't bat for ****, can't catch, turning circle and pace of frigate when fielding a ball but if they can turn the ball off the straight, they're a protected species in most teams. Lazy ****s.

In 2000 maybe, but for much of his career Walsh had a bullet arm. Not much of a catcher and not the remotest of an athlete in the field, but he could throw.
Yeah I remember hearing about that in the early 90's, had some horrific shoulder injury which meant he had to bowl it in.

As for the thread title, one word; Boonie. Took a couple of speccy's at short leg and suddenly he's a gun fielder? **** off.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Leg-spinners, as a general rule, just aren't very good at cricket. Can't bat for ****, can't catch, turning circle and pace of frigate when fielding a ball but if they can turn the ball off the straight, they're a protected species in most teams. Lazy ****s.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: very funny.

but i can think of some counter examples.

warne was a superb fielder and a good lower order bat. benaud was a genuine bowling all rounder. faulkner was a great all-rounder equally adept at both batting and leg spin bowling.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: very funny.

but i can think of some counter examples.

warne was a superb fielder and a good lower order bat. benaud was a genuine bowling all rounder. faulkner was a great all-rounder equally adept at both batting and leg spin bowling.
Warne and Benords just improved their batting to delay having to field. Like I said, lazy.

irfan

State Captain
Think T_C had one person in mind when ranting on leggies - Stuart MacGill.

Gobsmacked that Murali hasn't found himself in this thread. Worst throwing action ever when fielding.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Murali has taken the odd screamer TBF. And certainly a decent pair of hands all-in-all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, I always remembered Vaughan to be quite good actually. Might just be watching him when I was younger and knew less about cricket though. I think his crocked knees might have something to do with him being a bit immobile towards the end of his career though.
From what I remember, Vaughan was a perfectly "normal" sort of fielder in his first couple of years in Tests - not good, but certainly nothing abnormally abysmal like Mark Butcher or Monty Panesar. Then in New Zealand in 2001/02 he dropped a couple of the easiest chances you could wish to see and from then on he would make simple handling errors (ground-fielding and potential catches) with fair regularity. Was embarrassing.