• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A "bid for position" draft: categories

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
This is another "bid for position" draft, in which each participant gets $1,000,000 to bid for when they get to pick players: for more details on how these drafts work, see the first one.

This is more complicated than the previous such drafts; I'm proposing it now to see if there's any interest, but I think it'll take a while for people to work out their bids so it probably won't start (assuming there is any interest!) until the current drafts have nearly finished.

In this one, you have to bid for and pick according to 11 categories, as follows:

The player must:
1 - have played Test cricket in both the 19th and 20th centuries
2 - have played Test cricket only between the World Wars (i.e. all their Tests were in the 1920s and 1930s)
3 - have both their initials the same: this is for the name they're listed under on Cricinfo (so, e.g. Bob Blair is eligible despite being RW Blair; Jack Russell is not, despite being RC Russell.)
4 - be listed under a vowel on Statsguru (i.e. the name they're listed under - e.g. Bradman, Sobers, Imran, Kapil - must start with a vowel).
5 - have both taken a wicket and kept wicket in Tests (doesn't have to be in the same Test. "Kept wicket" means they were picked as the wicket-keeper - stand-in keepers are not accepted)
6 - have ended their Test career aged 25 or less
7 - have started their Test career aged 30+
8 - have been born in non-Test-playing country (as listed here).
9 - have played in a Test in which they didn't bat, bowl or keep wicket.
10 - have played first class cricket for Lancashire
11 - never have played first class cricket for any English county.

Your bid is then on the lines of:
$81,000 for category 1
$103 for category 2
$197,232 for category 3

giving 11 bids which total $1,000,000.

Picks are then made in order of the bids, not within the categories (i.e. if the highest bid is made in category 8, that's the first pick of the draft).

You can pick a player who's in more than one category, but they only count for the category for which the relevant bid was made (and, of course, they can still only be picked once).

Please say if you think any of the categories don't work, or see any other problems with the draft as described.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Wicket taking keepers may be a problem depending on how many participants. Could widen it to include First Class wickets???

AndrewB

The player must:
1 - have played Test cricket in both the 19th and 20th centuries
2 - have played Test cricket only between the World Wars (i.e. all their Tests were in the 1920s and 1930s)
3 - have both their initials the same: this is for the name they're listed under on Cricinfo (so, e.g. Bob Blair is eligible despite being RW Blair; Jack Russell is not, despite being RC Russell.)
4 - be listed under a vowel on Statsguru (i.e. the name they're listed under - e.g. Bradman, Sobers, Imran, Kapil - must start with a vowel).
5 - have both taken a wicket and kept wicket in Tests (doesn't have to be in the same Test. "Kept wicket" means they were picked as the wicket-keeper - stand-in keepers are not accepted)
6 - have ended their Test career aged 25 or less
7 - have started their Test career aged 30+
8 - have been born in non-Test-playing country (as listed here).
9 - have played in a Test in which they didn't bat, bowl or keep wicket.
10 - have played first class cricket for Lancashire
11 - never have played first class cricket for any English county.
Since people have expressed interest (thanks!), some clarifications :
- The XI you pick is for a Test match, though the players for categories 3, 4, 8, 10 and 11 don't have to have played Test cricket.
- For category 9, "didn't keep wicket" means (as in 5) "wasn't picked as the wicket-keeper". Abandoned Tests don't count.

Statsguru lists 18 wicket-taking wicket-keepers, so we should be OK.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Hi Andrew,

I’m not used to StatsGuru, so I’m only getting 9 keepers, not 18. Most I’ve never heard of. What settings did you use?

If you’re allowed to tell then do. If you’re not because that’s part of the game then don’t. I’ll phone a friend.

ataraxia

International Coach
Hi Andrew,

I’m not used to StatsGuru, so I’m only getting 9 keepers, not 18. Most I’ve never heard of. What settings did you use?

If you’re allowed to tell then do. If you’re not because that’s part of the game then don’t. I’ll phone a friend.
I'm not a statsguru guru either, but I think this is it (everyone is free to use it)

AndrewB

Something I forgot to say in the category definitions: category 6 doesn't include current players: the list below includes all those whose last Test was before 2010, but if anyone who played since then (aged 25 or less) has announced their retirement, they're a valid pick.

Following a request, here are Statsguru lists of valid players for some of the categories (note that none of these gives the players' career figures)... please let me know if I've made a mistake in defining the lists:

Category 6
Category 7
Category 9