• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So I did watch it. Felt a lot like they were attempting to cater to rally around the flag thingy, esp. with the notion that the then PM Indira Gandhi wanted to use our WC semis as a way to defuse communal violence somewhere in India. But as someone who was not born then, I cant tell how much of it was infact true, given the type of colonial reminders we see and get even in present day UK.

What is nice to see was how improbable it all was for so many, even those involved in the first circle ecosystem of the game back then. And the interesting tid bits from that time, the discussion with a journalist who said he will eat a piece of paper if India wins the WC and then did it after a month or so, shown during the end credits were a lot of fun. Cheeka definitely seems like the type of guy every team needs to bring them together. Shaz, Sandeep Patil being the party animals and ladies men was fun to watch too. Sandhu almost losing his fiancee due to his lesser earnings also sheds light on just how difficult it was for these folks, esp. guys from middle class and lower backgrounds to make cricket a career even as recently as the 80s. This is where the contributions of folks like Srini Mama matters IMO, coz India Cements and the entire TNCA, for so long the only professional league in the country, taking care of so many players, not just national stars but even domestic stalwarts. Whatever success we see now owes a lot to these guys as well.

The acting performances were very good. The re-enactment was good but it was good even in MS Dhoni. The way they cut to iconic moments' real photographs and then cut back to the re-enactment was a very nice way to show us the real events from this perspective too. And thankfully they did not needlessly villainize anyone. Viv Richards getting his own theme throughout the movie was awesome too. In fact, he was the only one to consistently have a theme music every time he appeared.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently it is in cinemas in NZ, so might give it a go. I don't think I've watched a "real life" sports "movie" (as opposed to documentaries) since Invictus which made me feel annoyed about food poisoning, but 83 looks like it would be fun.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Apparently it is in cinemas in NZ, so might give it a go. I don't think I've watched a "real life" sports "movie" (as opposed to documentaries) since Invictus which made me feel annoyed about food poisoning, but 83 looks like it would be fun.
some throwaway lines people wouldn't think about twice in a conversation will be made way more emotional/dramatic than it actually was to add masala to the movie

beware of that but rest should be great

sunilz

International Regular
So I did watch it. Felt a lot like they were attempting to cater to rally around the flag thingy, esp. with the notion that the then PM Indira Gandhi wanted to use our WC semis as a way to defuse communal violence somewhere in India. But as someone who was not born then, I cant tell how much of it was infact true, given the type of colonial reminders we see and get even in present day UK.

What is nice to see was how improbable it all was for so many, even those involved in the first circle ecosystem of the game back then. And the interesting tid bits from that time, the discussion with a journalist who said he will eat a piece of paper if India wins the WC and then did it after a month or so, shown during the end credits were a lot of fun. Cheeka definitely seems like the type of guy every team needs to bring them together. Shaz, Sandeep Patil being the party animals and ladies men was fun to watch too. Sandhu almost losing his fiancee due to his lesser earnings also sheds light on just how difficult it was for these folks, esp. guys from middle class and lower backgrounds to make cricket a career even as recently as the 80s. This is where the contributions of folks like Srini Mama matters IMO, coz India Cements and the entire TNCA, for so long the only professional league in the country, taking care of so many players, not just national stars but even domestic stalwarts. Whatever success we see now owes a lot to these guys as well.

The acting performances were very good. The re-enactment was good but it was good even in MS Dhoni. The way they cut to iconic moments' real photographs and then cut back to the re-enactment was a very nice way to show us the real events from this perspective too. And thankfully they did not needlessly villainize anyone. Viv Richards getting his own theme throughout the movie was awesome too. In fact, he was the only one to consistently have a theme music every time he appeared.
Did you miss the scene where PAK Army called to stop firing ?
Crossborder firing between IND-PAK started in 89 , but in the movie they deliberately added a propaganda scene.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Did you miss the scene where PAK Army called to stop firing ?
Crossborder firing between IND-PAK started in 89 , but in the movie they deliberately added a propaganda scene.
Yeah, but I had no idea if this was happening at that time. Good to know it comes from typical Bollywood masala than any reality. lol.

This was my biggest concern, so that's good to hear. Might go watch it on the weekend.
Yeah. I think they were less than kind to Marshall and the way they showed his reaction to bouncing Vengsarkar and taking him out. Other than that, I think they seemed to concentrate more on how tough it was for that Indian team than talk too much about the opposition.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah holy **** that army scene was cringe as hell

Rousing speech in front of David Frith was quite amusing, poor Frith must be racking his memory to figure out when that ever happened

Teja.

Global Moderator
I loved the movie. They were fairly faithful to the cricketing facts even though it was clearly a commercially oriented movie. People who hate fun will definitely hate it.

It's not a meticulously made masterpiece like Lagaan but it was excellent for what it was and I'm happy they avoided screwing it up in the 55 different ways in which it was possible to screw a movie like this.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
It looks like a lot of fun, am keen to see it.

What is fascinating is the casting - Sandeep Patil, Malcolm Marshall and Gordon Greenidge are all played by their real-life sons, while Joel Garner is played by Jason Lloyd (Clive's son) and Larry Gomes is played by Tagenerine Chanderpaul!

And just to make it all very meta - Mohinder Amarnath is played by Saqib Saleem, but his father Lala Amarnath is played by...Mohinder Amarnath.

cnerd123

likes this
Literally bought tickets to watch this on Sunday just 3 hours before they announced new lockdowns. Got refunded a couple of hours later :(

Just hope they have another showing whenever restrictions ease up. Any legal sources to watch online?