• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at Hobart - 14-19 Jan 2022

cnerd123

likes this
Well at least this is over now

Australia should be offended at England's ineptitude. Go out of your way to host the Ashes in difficult circumstances and they play like this. Biggest series for the two teams and yet England come this woefully prepared. Insulting really.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
so green is definitely the aussie version of a younger kallis basically? he's got talent almost equal in both i'd say after the series end, but of course wont be as prolific with the bat as kallis, bowling looks really really good.
45 with the bat, 25 with the ball is my prediction.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well at least this is over now

Australia should be offended at England's ineptitude. Go out of your way to host the Ashes in difficult circumstances and they play like this. Biggest series for the two teams and yet England come this woefully prepared. Insulting really.
Can’t imagine how things could’ve gone differently for them though. The truth is England have their worst batting lineup in at least 20 years and no amount of preparation was going to make up for that. Yeah, they probably could’ve managed Leach better over the English summer, but it wasn’t really the bowlers fault that the series ended the way it has.

Just can the Oz Ashes already and make more room for more Oz v India/South Africa series (can’t believe SA haven’t toured since 2016).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Green is the cricketer managment wished marsh was. Don't think heyll average 45/25, he's a nervy af batsmen early and teams are well equipped to exploit that, think heyll end up roughly where his stats are now, maybe closer to 35/28, which is still phenomenal.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can’t imagine how things could’ve gone differently for them though. The truth is England have their worst batting lineup in at least 20 years and no amount of preparation was going to make up for that. Yeah, they probably could’ve managed Leach better over the English summer, but it wasn’t really the bowlers fault that the series ended the way it has.

Just can the Oz Ashes already and make more room for more Oz v India/South Africa series (can’t believe SA haven’t toured since 2016).
I'd take trephination over more series against India - and they visit about as regularly as England these days anyway.

Green is the cricketer managment wished marsh was. Don't think heyll average 45/25, he's a nervy af batsmen early and teams are well equipped to exploit that, think heyll end up roughly where his stats are now, maybe closer to 35/28, which is still phenomenal.
Yeah. Allrounders never seem to do as well as people think they should. Stokes is a pretty good example of that - can play incredible innings and is a very handy bowler, very skilled at swing and able to put in the gruntwork spells at a handy pace, yet before this series his averages were 'only' 37 and 31.

Aritro

International Regular
Lol spot the bloke whose side lost at home to that shower a fortnight ago. Come On
Well, as you were told last time you commented on things you don't understand, four of them weren't even playing.

Never mind, though. You've just won a series against a batting order that wouldn't get a game for Bangladesh, gosh what a turn up for the book! Time to do what you do best, which is strap on your gimp mask, stuff your mouth full with a suitably plump navel orange and type another breathless homage to other men's masculinity. :wub:

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Can’t imagine how things could’ve gone differently for them though.
Yea and that's the problem. For all the talk about the Ashes being their priority (Root described the Asia tours as good preparation with the Ashes in mind), how could they be so ill prepared?

Bad luck + a difficult schedule played a role, so I don't want to be too harsh. Has been a rough time for English cricket. But I am disappointed they were so out of their depth for this.

Hopefully they'll put plans in place now to ensure a stronger showing next time around. Feels like systematic changes are needed.

Would help if some good talent appeared too.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to the Aussies (yes I grimace when I say that!). But it was a great overall performance. And congrats for the selectors in selecting and sticking with Green. Going to be a great player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean, for all their issues with the batting, I think England also have to consider what their best bowling line up is going to be like in different scenarios. There are way too many injuries happening and if nothing else, that alone should cost Root and Silverwood their jobs. The extra over or two in a spell is almost always a captain-bowler decision and given its frequency with various bowlers, I am almost sure it is always Root who insists on these crazy long spells away from home in tough conditions. Archer, Stokes, Anderson and now even Robinson. Stone bowled quite a lot in the Chennai test against India too. Almost all research has shown its not the number of overs but the number of overs IN A SPELL that tends to break/accelerate injuries amongst fast bowlers.

Maybe take a decision that Bairstow will be their keeper/batsman in tests, invest in Lawrence, see if Livingstone can be good in tests, figure out what to do with Pope and Foakes but beyond that there is not much they can do about the batting. They just have to invest in Burns, Crawley, Malan and manage Stokes better. But the bowling, that has to be taken care of even more, esp. with fitness issues around almost all their bowlers who are not Broad/Anderson/Woakes.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As soon as a team goes through a **** phase everyone demands systematic changes and they get them. The team eventually comes good and people put it down to the changes rather than just realising life has its ups and downs. I think England will come good again, regardless of what they do, and Australia are due for another **** phase.

I just hope Burns is not part of it, because as much as I want to like him, he really does hurt me to watch him bat. A bowler needs to knock his head around maybe 30 degrees.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For Australia, the series has gone as well as they could have hoped. A smidgen away from a whitewash and multiple players stood up to be counted when it seemed they always were like a 5/6 man side. With the exception of the 2nd opener and wicket keeper, they seem to have all the main positions covered in the batting line up, including a solid backup middle order option in Khawaja. Their bowling depth seems amazing but so many sides do that at home these days, gotta see how it goes away from home before we can be sure but its definitely promising at the moment.

Spark

Global Moderator
The makeup of the first choice attack suddenly becomes very interesting. You surely can't leave out Boland on any surface when he bowls with such relentless accuracy.