• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th and 6th best long-form batsmen in Australia

Who are the 5th and 6th best long-form batsmen in Australia? (choose two)

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You have 2 correct Mark Cosgrove and Dave Hussey

Hussey only just squeezed in last year averaging under 41.

McDonald only averaged 32 last year and Voges averaged just 22 in 08/09.
Thought McDonald averaged a lot more last season. Knew Voges had a terrible season semi-recently but thought it could've been the year before.

Did Khawaja manage to average over 40 in 2008/09? It'd be him if so.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Quiney averaging over 40 this season?

Edit: Just realised he said of those on the list.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
At a guess I reckon the 3rd player is Haddin. I don't remember him being terrible for NSW when returning from Test duty in the past three seasons.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Prince got the 3rd player correct - it's Usman Khawaja, Mark Cosgrove and David Hussey.

Brad Haddin averaged around 37 I believe last year, Rogers was a good selection morgieb, but he's at just 22 this year (44 runs, twice out) before his injury.

Interestingly Matthew Wade is quite close to joining the list. He's averaging 33.85 this year, the past two years he's averaged a tad under 50.

pup11

International Coach
The way things stand now Ferguson would be my #5 and Cosgrove or Finch would be my #6.
Though I doubt Cosgrove would ever play for Australia, which is a shame becuase he is one of the most naturally gifted batsmen we have in Oz right now.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The way things stand now Ferguson would be my #5 and Cosgrove or Finch would be my #6.
Though I doubt Cosgrove would ever play for Australia, which is a shame becuase he is one of the most naturally gifted batsmen we have in Oz right now.
Why the Finch love? He looked quite good last Shield final before stupidly getting run out nearing his ton, but he hasn't performed very well this year in the long form of the game.

I was bored yesterday so made up my Aus (picked from the 13 man Test squad), Aus A, Aus B, Aus C, Aus D teams - assuming everyone was fit.. Ferguson made my Aus B team and Finch made my Aus C team, so it's fair to say that I don't agree with those two at all!

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dont see why White cant be an option, only Aussie to put his batting hand up in this match with a ton, couldnt do much worse.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Went for Hussey snr and Cosgrove. Former's the incumbent with (admittedly increasingly distant) proven form at the highest level and is coming off an FC ton and the latter looks patently a classy player, other issues notwithstanding.

Aside from signing up to weight watchers, are there other concerns around the big lad? Vaguely recall he got the arse from the Institute of Sport, but that may've been pie-related. Actually bowls at a fair lick despite his considerable girth and it doesn't seem to hamper him unduly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Went for Hussey snr and Cosgrove. Former's the incumbent with (admittedly increasingly distant) proven form at the highest level and is coming off an FC ton and the latter looks patently a classy player, other issues notwithstanding.

Aside from signing up to weight watchers, are there other concerns around the big lad? Vaguely recall he got the arse from the Institute of Sport, but that may've been pie-related. Actually bowls at a fair lick despite his considerable girth and it doesn't seem to hamper him unduly.
Anyone? Could be coming into form at exactly the right time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyone? Could be coming into form at exactly the right time.
I'd seriously consider picking him. He throws away starts a bit, but if he can throw away starts and still average mid-40s, he's preventing a lot of collapses. Lazy footwork on the drive early too but it doesn't cost him too much these days. Even aside from their obvious physical similarities, he bats in a similar way to Jesse Ryder and I think he'd have similar success in Tests as a batsman.

He's not going to get picked, though. Cricket Australia would see it as sending a bad message back to state cricket about the importance of fitness. They don't mind sending a bad message back to state cricket about the importance of substance over style, or the importance of scoring consistent runs, but eh...

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I went for D.Hussey and Cosgrove. Can't see either being picked though but ideally i think their up there. Cosgrove was a half half with Khawaja who could be better but i think Cosgroves done more over time in a variety of conditions to get the slight nod. Pity he can't lose the weight i think he'd be a gun player if he could get into the side.