• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Shahid Afridi captain of Pakistan was caught on camera munching into a cricket ball like an apple during a game in Australia, can't recall Pakistan cricket board making him do a press conference and admitting he did it with an intention to cheat and his senior players were also aware about it, same with Du Plessis.

Cricket Australia antagonised their own players, by throwing them in front the press and making them admit their guilt in great detail. Such embarrassing public admissions were only reserved for players admitting their guilt to match-fixing before this incident.

Without creating such public hate against them, there is no way Cricket Australia could have banned these guys for a whole year, for an offense for which max punishment is a ban of one game according to ICC rules.

View attachment 26971
@Spark , @Starfighter , @Gnske , @OverratedSanity , @jimmy101

Don't drag Afridi into it. Wo don't boast about Elite Honesty.

Honesty is honesty. You either are or you aren't. This business of Elite Honesty, Players' Pact & "Hard but Fair" act is classic corporate-speak - high-sounding words put together to sound and look pretty but that end up meaning nothing.

All that these words (like Elite Honesty) do is maintain the pretence that Australian cricketers operate - or should operate - on a higher moral plane than non-Australian cricketers; that the Australian line is the line, never mind that nobody's ever been told where that line is. It is what has got them into this mess in the first place.

It is what the extreme punishments to Steven Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft were so much about. The rest of the cricket world was made to look like a collective of tree-hugging liberal halfwits for having - fairly maturely, actually - come to terms with what is an on-field code violation and not a sign of moral decay. Sides tampered with the ball, sometimes they got caught and were punished and yes, sometimes they got away with it. That's all life.

Cricket, though, reactionary and conservative cricket, fell for it, responding by increasing the seriousness and stigma of tampering as an offence. Instead of doubling down, cooling the atmosphere, and insisting that tampering wasn't an existential threat to the game, it went the other way, aspiring to this elite Australian way.

It was a depressing reminder of the way cricket is still unable to drag itself out of the streak of puritanism that has marked its operations for so long, where it believes it is not just a morally superior game but that it produces morally superior humans. That's the subtext of the Spirit of Cricket, which, lately Australia seem to have clung to tighter than others. But here's a truth bomb for all of us: cricket isn't morally superior to anything. If it ever was, maybe it was nearly two centuries ago. It's a great sport, no doubt, but that is all it is - a sport. If it expanded globally in reality, rather than just in an ICC mission paper, it may well loosen up and understand this.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Another killer Jadeja stat. Batting average more than bowling average in each of his last 6 away series dating from SL series in 2017. Varied conditions across the globe except SA.

SL 2017 - 85 with the bat, 29 with the ball

Eng 2018 - 99 with the bat, 37 with the ball

Aus 2018/19 - 30 with the bat, 29 with the ball

WI 2019 - 38 with the bat, 31 with the ball

NZ 2019/20 - 25 with the bat, 23 with the ball

Aus 2020/21 - 85 with the bat, 15 with the ball

In the ongoing world test championship, 45 with the bat, 22 with the ball.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
The hero we needed but did not probably deserve,

Let the Aussie bowlers hunt him.. because he could take them.

The Dark Knight to Rishab's White Knight....

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
@Spark , @Starfighter , @Gnske , @OverratedSanity , @jimmy101

Don't drag Afridi into it. Wo don't boast about Elite Honesty.

Honesty is honesty. You either are or you aren't. This business of Elite Honesty, Players' Pact & "Hard but Fair" act is classic corporate-speak - high-sounding words put together to sound and look pretty but that end up meaning nothing.

I didn't say anything about Shahid mate. In fact I always thought that he was just biting off some loose thread away from the seam. I don't think there was any ever evidence that he was actually biting into the ball.

I think that pic was posted just to illustrate how sensibly the PCB & Pakistan as a whole handled the affair, whilst the whole of Australia went into meltdown mode when sandpapergate happened.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sridhar said:
And then when you [Ashwin] got the ball in your hand, the bowling coach was super excited. He was like, 'Something is going to happen now'. Ashwin's first ball itself fizzed and bounced; my heart was beating fast. My first thought was 'Oh dear, how is Rishabh Pant going to keep to Ashwin on this wicket'. He was under pressure, was playing his first game. So that was running on my mind. I called Saha and told him my thoughts immediately.
:lol: