• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The punishments for Smith and Warner had little to do with what they did and everything to do with CA looking out for themselves.

Warner and Smith were faces of the ACA players movement in demanding better pay structure, for every Australian player starting from the very grassroots, however their fall literally killed the movement to a large extent.
I had a different but very much related theory on the whole thing. CA, specifically at the time board chairman David Peever, wanted to scrap the revenue sharing model that was in place. They went the divide and conquer method, offering pay increases to the senior players at the expense of the domestic game, but said senior players, of whom Warner was the most vocal, quite rightly told them to gagf. I think that a lot of the push for such disproportionate punisment after the fact came from within Jolimont St, Peever and his various cronies seemed to want to throw the book at them largely out of sheer spite

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
starc is a different kind of pace bowler to johnson

johnson bowled a heavy ball

i don't know how to explain it in technical cricketing terms but starc somehow seems like a 'lighter' bowler although he's rapid
It’s because he had a slingy action which makes the ball harder to pick up out of the hand. Bit of a left handed Thommo.

Spark

Global Moderator
I had a different but very much related theory on the whole thing. CA, specifically at the time board chairman David Peever, wanted to scrap the revenue sharing model that was in place. They went the divide and conquer method, offering pay increases to the senior players at the expense of the domestic game, but said senior players, of whom Warner was the most vocal, quite rightly told them to gagf. I think that a lot of the push for such disproportionate punisment after the fact came from within Jolimont St, Peever and his various cronies seemed to want to throw the book at them largely out of sheer spite
I think this misses just how intense and overwhelming the public anger and backlash was in the immediate aftermath of the news breaking, well before CA had even so much as responded officially. That Whateley SEN talkback program that morning, for example, was absolutely white-hot, tons of people wanted all three banned for life. Even Turnbull weighed in, sponsors were dropping etc etc. I don't really regard this version of events as especially plausible.

CA was indeed looking out for themselves, but only in the sense that there was a serious risk that the bottom was about to fall out of CA's entire sponsorship and thus revenue structure, such was the level of public outrage at the time. That the opposition captain had actually been caught and punished twice before for the same offence was totally missed by the broader public.

DriveClub

International Regular
I think this misses just how intense and overwhelming the public anger and backlash was in the immediate aftermath of the news breaking, well before CA had even so much as responded officially. That Whateley SEN talkback program was absolutely white-hot, tons of people wanted all three banned for life. Even Turnbull weighed in, sponsors were dropping etc etc. I don't really regard this version of events as especially plausible.
Ya I remember this as well, didn't realise the casuals put cricket on a pedestal like that. Was ridiculous, they really ate up that Australian Captain was actually the 2nd most important job in the country lol

Spark

Global Moderator
I think this misses just how intense and overwhelming the public anger and backlash was in the immediate aftermath of the news breaking, well before CA had even so much as responded officially. That Whateley SEN talkback program that morning, for example, was absolutely white-hot, tons of people wanted all three banned for life. Even Turnbull weighed in, sponsors were dropping etc etc. I don't really regard this version of events as especially plausible.

CA was indeed looking out for themselves, but only in the sense that there was a serious risk that the bottom was about to fall out of CA's entire sponsorship and thus revenue structure, such was the level of public outrage at the time. That the opposition captain had actually been caught and punished twice before for the same offence was totally missed by the broader public.
tl;dr @Gnske is right and if people didn't have such a ridiculous pedestal that they put a ****ing cricket team on, none of that would have ever blown up like it did. smith, warner et al would have watched the last test from the dressing room, SA would have collected an easy 3-1 win and everything would have been put aside by the pakistan tour. like a normal cricket team would.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ya I remember this as well, didn't realise the casuals put cricket on a pedestal like that. Was ridiculous, they really ate up that Australian Captain was actually the 2nd most important job in the country lol
like those few days were absolutely craaaaazy. public mood shifted back when those pictures of smith basically being perp-walked and then those incredibly uncomfortable press conferences made people realise that hey maybe this is a bit ott, but for a few days it was real lynch mob territory.

Shri

Mr. Glass
re starc vs johnson

there's this too

think johnson was straight up just stronger as a bowler

pics:

msta.JPGmojo.JPG

also a funny bit of info

if you google mitchell starc shirtless, the first result is johnson shirtless lmao

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tl;dr @Gnske is right and if people didn't have such a ridiculous pedestal that they put a ****ing cricket team on, none of that would have ever blown up like it did. smith, warner et al would have watched the last test from the dressing room, SA would have collected an easy 3-1 win and everything would have been put aside by the pakistan tour. like a normal cricket team would.
I put it in my usual fashion, but I meant every word of it.

The moral outrage was ridiculous and the punishment decided was enacted in proportion to the loudest of it, which was the hysterics itself.. In retrospect I note it was people outside of the forum demanding lifetime / yearly / multiple year punishments who were almost universally fairweather casuals at best.

I don't know if it was a oversimplication to not be mad enough at a bunch of guys who have played a game for a living for all their adult lives on a very public stage getting frustrated and rubbing a bit of rough paper on a rock made out of leather. But at times it felt like it.

At the risk of being further obtuse, the culture review seemed a bit farcical, maybe utterly forced and inorganic in relation to what I said in the first paragraph. Not completely in regards to a few aspects that were probably overdue, but **** man it was like analyzing a Cleveland steamer with quantum theory.