• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I thought this was pretty much common knowledge
I know about this incident, but it takes incredible naivety to make this any sort of excuse for the ****s to indulge in organised cheating.

And to say there is nothing other than the ****s' words to say they didn't indulge in this from much before. It just so happened one camera man happened to spot it and followed around or otherwise Starc and Co. would still be bulldozing sides with illicit reverse swing even now.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

the big bambino

International Captain
I know about this incident, but it takes incredible naivety to make this any sort of excuse for the ****s to indulge in organised cheating.

And to say there is nothing other than the ****s' words to say they didn't indulge in this from much before. It just so happened one camera man happened to spot it and followed around or otherwise Starc and Co. would still be bulldozing sides with illicit reverse swing even now.
The worst aspect of that was the shaming and bullying of Candace Warner. Really showed up cricket's supposedly female friendly image to be so much bs.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
The worst aspect of that was the shaming and bullying of Candace Warner. Really showed up cricket's supposedly female friendly image to be so much bs.
Yeah that incident was ridiculous and DeCock was being incredibly shifty to bring it up.

Teams have been subject to far worse abuses before, and after - especially in Australia, as recently as racist jibes at Siraj. All of them were pathetic and contemptible but still doesn't provide any excuse to cheat.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that incident was ridiculous and DeCock was being incredibly shifty to bring it up.

Teams have been subject to far worse abuses before, and after - especially in Australia, as recently as racist jibes at Siraj. All of them were pathetic and contemptible but still doesn't provide any excuse to cheat.
This really shouldn't need to be said but explaining something is not tantamount to justifying something.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it does. People will do weird things when they're abused, some turn into murderers.

So really rubbing a piece of bunnings warehouse merch on a piece of leather ain't a big deal.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man

Former Saffers and some guys like De Kock told Australians to get on with it, when their players and crowds alike made personal trashy comments on Australian players, especially Warner and his wife who was expecting a baby at that time, their justification was that since Australian crowds are **** they are getting what they gave.

Cricket Australia gave some lip service but did nothing concrete in this, eventually Smith, Warner and the core leadership group decided they can go to any extent but they won't be leaving South Africa without winning that series which lead to the Sandpaper nonsense.

A pro-active board with well being of their players at heart, would have intervened and would have tried to work things out when things were simmering eventually leading to the sandpapergate.

Also it is far fetched to suggest that Australia were tampering the ball through that period and only got caught by some sharp sighted South African cameraman, because if that were the case such a thing won't have happened through a course of time, without the faster bowlers consenting to it.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Former Saffers and some guys like De Kock told Australians to get on with it, when their players and crowds alike made personal trashy comments on Australian players, especially Warner and his wife who was expecting a baby at that time, their justification was that since Australian crowds are **** they are getting what they gave.

Cricket Australia gave some lip service but did nothing concrete in this, eventually Smith, Warner and the core leadership group decided they can go to any extent but they won't be leaving South Africa without winning that series which lead to the Sandpaper nonsense.

A pro-active board with well being of their players at heart, would have intervened and would have tried to work things out when things were simmering eventually leading to the sandpapergate.

Also it is far fetched to suggest that Australia were tampering the ball through that period and only got caught by some sharp sighted South African cameraman, because if that were the case such a thing won't have happened through a course of time, without the faster bowlers consenting to it.
Sorry to sound like a Warne.

Yes, CA did probably nothing to help Warner. But what I do not understand is how that in any manner justify what Australian team leadership did by cheating.

Also, given the stature of Warner and Smith in the team and the fact that there was zero integrity left in the team (Captain and VC hatching a plan to cheat so blatantly)and how rotten the culture was (a youngling pushed to obey leaderships orders), it is not inconceivable even the bowlers probably decided not to speak up against it. Just go with the flow.

Not to mention the ****s also lied blatantly about it all early on.

I can acknowledge causation, but I cannot digest justification for the cheating.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
Sorry to sound like a Warne.

Yes, CA did probably nothing to help Warner. But what I do not understand is how that in any manner justify what Australian team leadership did by cheating.

Also, given the stature of Warner and Smith in the team and the fact that there was zero integrity left in the team (Captain and VC hatching a plan to cheat so blatantly)and how rotten the culture was (a youngling pushed to obey leaderships orders), it is not inconceivable even the bowlers probably decided not to speak up against it. Just go with the flow.

Not to mention the ****s also lied blatantly about it all early on.

I can acknowledge causation, but I cannot digest justification for the cheating.
First thing first, nobody is defending cheating, but let's stop acting as if Warner and Smith just woke up one day and were like... let's scratch them balls in public today with nice and rough piece of sandpaper.

South Africa is the only place in the cricketing world where it is apparently ok, to come with absolutely vile masks and placards to abuse wives of visiting players.

In 2002 the South African crowd made taunts questioning paternity of Gilchrist's first baby, Mark Boucher post retirement has made inflammatory comments urging South African crowds to make Australian cricketers cry.

There has been zero recourse from the Australian cricket board in any of this, whereas for example the Siraj incident you pointed to, or the monkeygate episode was enough for the Indian board to threaten to end those respective tours.

Also the same Faf Du Plessis who was questioning the integrity of Australian players post sandpapergate, was caught and penalised for tampering the ball not once but twice when he was captaining the Saffers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good post.

SA has always been a pretty low rent place tbf, whatever the sporting crowd.

Spark

Global Moderator
In a way I'm pretty pleased this upcoming tour will be played to empty stadiums. The next tour of SA involving Warner and Smith was otherwise bound to be a seriously nasty one with universally unpleasant stuff coming from the crowds and CSA doing **** all about it.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
In a way I'm pretty pleased this upcoming tour will be played to empty stadiums. The next tour of SA involving Warner and Smith was otherwise bound to be a seriously nasty one with universally unpleasant stuff coming from the crowds and CSA doing **** all about it.
Aus went to South Africa in 2019 for a short limited overs tour, needless to say they were booed and abused brutally, vile **** apparently also came towards Labus.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And once again the high minded attitude of the Aus public and pundits rears its ugly heads. I personally detested the attitude of many of the SA cricket fans and the way they behaved in that series. I however don't think it is any better or worse than the rest of the world and to pretend otherwise is pretty sad. There has been pretty universal toxic stuff that you can look at from all countries fans and players consistently over the years. The whole 'this was worse this this' really does not play well long term.

CSA is pretty ****ing pathetic and corrupt but it tends to kowtow to all the big unions because of money, which is their single biggest driving factor in all its decisions (and local politics). Those fans where removed for the wearing of the masks, and it was made pretty clear that it would not be tolerated. And many of those banners where forced to be taken down very quickly. It was a pretty heated series, but lets not pretend that nothing was done or said by the Aus players in build up or that SA players have not copped some pretty horrible stuff in Aus (and Eng and India).

Personally the whole toxic sporting environment (at least in western schools) is built on this sort of thing, that starts at school level where it is pretty much guaranteed that you are going to get abused along with all the macho man bull****. You can listen to player after player from school to international level and hear how this stuff is rife throughout.