• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moss

International Vice-Captain
From the NZ Pov we better pray there's no reason to to replace anyone from the first XI, it could prove too costly . Mills is the only one among those who would prob make the transition well. Even Latham for Elliott is not a change we'd want to be making.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Usually support the Windies as my second team but to be honest i dont want them to win this match. Im shooting for an Aus v NZ final.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah some serious Gambhiring going on from the NZ contingent here IMO. Sure, there's always a chance that the West Indies get it right and knock the Blackcaps out, but far out people are dwelling on it a lot. You'd think they'd just qualified in 4th thanks to some dodgy rain rules and D/L calculations by the Saffer captain, going by the chat here, not passing through the group stages undefeated (and reasonably comfortably so, the match vs. Australia notwithstanding)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm still not convinced at all by NZ's batting. If Taylor has one of his crazy spells (like he did against Pakistan) West Indies could pull it off. It's not very likely, mind.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Im massively backing us here but WI will win this 1 in every 4 to 5 outings. Still nervous.
This for me.

And no ghambiring Dan just respect for the opposition. They are not a minnow. If we were playing Ireland then you would see a different set of of posts as we don't rate them.

@Strawman your comment on Bangers not being a top 8 side...with their current side and new found pace attack there are really 9 good teams all of a sudden with apologies to Ireland.

Flem274*

123/5
This for me.

And no ghambiring Dan just respect for the opposition. They are not a minnow. If we were playing Ireland then you would see a different set of of posts as we don't rate them.

@Strawman your comment on Bangers not being a top 8 side...with their current side and new found pace attack there are really 9 good teams all of a sudden with apologies to Ireland.
i rate the irish batting and see the team equal at least to the windies.

Flem274*

123/5
20%. The Irish can chase big scores and have genuine quality. The Windies have two quality quicks (Roach on current form in ODIs isn't good) and a batting order that just keeps going, which means even if we cut through a past it Gayle, the hack Smith, the exquisite technique against the moving ball of Samuels and the Pakn' Save cakes they could still make it through to the death overs and have their extra sugary icing swinging hard to express pace and southee. they've got talented hitters so they could have the right day.

Both sides would need to chase though.

Flem274*

123/5
honestly that west indian odi side is such a disappointment compared to what they could have sent down here. win or lose the quarter they don't deserve to play in it and they're a shadow of the side they were even 12 months ago.

needs two bravo's, narine and a firing roach to complement taylor, holder, ramdin and simmons.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Flem done just relentlessly bagging Bangladesh immediately after they won, resulting in them later qualifying for the quarters. He's now moved on to bagging WI.

Kiwi fans to peg him with tomatoes if WI somehow win.

Flem274*

123/5
i'm not bagging them relentlessy. i'm very optimistic about the side they could have sent.:ph34r:

if nz lose because i jinx them then we need to whinge about the lack of consultation with haris sohail in the doom and gloom thread between rants at losing to the west indies B team.

and a lot of this is to cover the fact im nervous. much like a pre-match interview with a south african before a knock out.

Last edited:

veganbob

U19 Captain
20%. The Irish can chase big scores and have genuine quality. The Windies have two quality quicks (Roach on current form in ODIs isn't good) and a batting order that just keeps going, which means even if we cut through a past it Gayle, the hack Smith, the exquisite technique against the moving ball of Samuels and the Pakn' Save cakes they could still make it through to the death overs and have their extra sugary icing swinging hard to express pace and southee. they've got talented hitters so they could have the right day.

Both sides would need to chase though.

Agree windies have 20% chance in a qf. You are overrating the irish though. Would hav given them less than 5% .zimbabwe are better than ireland imo just unlucky vs ireland and didnt do basics vs india. i want us to bat first vs windies.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Don't disagree with the fundamental point though. Ireland may have a decent - near international standard - batting line-up but their bowling is just an absolute dog's breakfast, close to the worst in the entire competition. The Windies aren't a great team, but even now they're a much better side man-for-man than Ireland are.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Agree windies have 20% chance in a qf. You are overrating the irish though. Would hav given them less than 5% .zimbabwe are better than ireland imo just unlucky vs ireland and didnt do basics vs india. i want us to bat first vs windies.

Baz seems to prefer chasing, or more accurately giving his bowlers the chance to win the game up front. Interestingly, NZ enjoyed a lot of success in 2014 batting first, and that had much to do with KW and Taylor being in prime form. Those two defeats against the Saffers (when both of them were injured) showed how critical they are to NZ's chances

Last edited: