• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

43rd Match - Pakistan v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don’t think you can say that. They were meant to play them earlier in the tourney when they seemed to have been traveling better.

Afridi ended up having a pretty decent tournament. 16 poles in five matches is a good haul.
Yep, they were also perhaps a Carey brainfart away from rolling Australia over for 150.

And who's to day they wouldn't have wrecked India like they did in the warm ups?

Burgey

Yeah there’s a zillion ifs and buts on close games/ tournaments but at the end of the day everyone knew the criteria and format coming into the WC. Hard on Pakistan fans but would have been equally tough on kiwi fans had it gone the other way. The good news is we avoid another fortnight of ridiculous 1992 comparisons

trundler

we'll catch a plane home if you hand back 1992 churrrr boi
Yeah this is what I've been thinking. Maybe this was 1992 all over again. But a correction instead of a repetition. Do it NZ! Do it for Crowe and for his successor in Williamson!

smash84

The Tiger King
I don’t think you can say that. They were meant to play them earlier in the tourney when they seemed to have been traveling better.

Afridi ended up having a pretty decent tournament. 16 poles in five matches is a good haul.
Earlier in the tournament India had dhawan too and India were playing extremely well too.

My point was to the post calling my post "nonsense " when I stated Pakistan as 4th best team. Its arguable, but its certainly not a ridiculous opinion as that post was attempting to make it sound.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Earlier in the tournament India had dhawan too and India were playing extremely well too.

My point was to the post calling my post "nonsense " when I stated Pakistan as 4th best team. Its arguable, but its certainly not a ridiculous opinion as that post was attempting to make it sound.
They were the fourth best team and on the up and up too which makes their exit all the more unfortunate from a tournament pov. The format does not favor slow starters nor does it ensure all teams get to have an opening run of games against top tier teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What nonsense. If they were the 4th best they would have made the semis. NZ played better than pak overall.
I think when you finish on the same points as a team and there have been washouts, it's certainly debatable as to which of the two teams were better. If they'd all played everyone and NZ finished two points clear of Pakistan then sure, but that's not what happened. NRR is not an amazing differentiater and I'm not suggesting we replace it with something else or that it's a travesty, but it's certainly debatable as to which team has been fourth best so far, especially given Pakistan missed out on playing Sri Lanka while NZ missed out on playing India. No guarantees on either of those results but I think we all know who we'd have been tipping in them.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
The format does favour slow starters. If there were a short group stage then Pakistan probably would have gone home early.

vcs

It took them 5 games to work out their best XI. I'd say they'll learn a lesson from this, but it's Pakistan. :p

vcs

Yeah but you weren't playing blokes who debuted in the last century

Bijed

International Regular
I know there's ifs and buts with the rained off matches, but to a reasonable extent Pakistan have been punished for putting in a horrendous performance against the West Indies, which is fair enough imo

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I think when you finish on the same points as a team and there have been washouts, it's certainly debatable as to which of the two teams were better. If they'd all played everyone and NZ finished two points clear of Pakistan then sure, but that's not what happened. NRR is not an amazing differentiater and I'm not suggesting we replace it with something else or that it's a travesty, but it's certainly debatable as to which team has been fourth best so far, especially given Pakistan missed out on playing Sri Lanka while NZ missed out on playing India. No guarantees on either of those results but I think we all know who we'd have been tipping in them.
how on earth is NRR not better than, lets say say h2h as a tie breaker for lack of any other alternatives? one is weighted over a duration of 9 games which is exactly why despite Pakistan winning the last match comfortably, they were still well short of where they needed to be to qualify. Not ignoring ofc how badly they lost their first match and how narrowly they won the games that they did win. On PP someone actually made the point that in such an event the ODI rankings should be used ahead of even NRR let alone H2H as a tiebreaker because it would make the whole JAMODI calendar somewhat consequential compared to what it is now. On average the higher ranked teams made it through here which is how it should be. It's not Nzls fault that the Pakistani think tank didn't think about NRR at all after the hiding they got in the first game which meant they were already up against it for the rest of the tournament.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
literally nobody would care about net run rate 'unfairness' if the roles were reversed. im mildly surprised nz made it into the semis myself. i picked 5th for them.

personally i think it's appropriate the superior sporting nation, despite generally playing like a floppy bag of dicks in this tournament, has snuck through. the enemy tears will taste even sweeter when we win the cup and millions of pakistanis unironically call it a lucky fluke.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1147876662882832389

Sarfraz not happy with a journo calling Bangladesh .."Bengalis"...I dunno if this is him still salty about his ban he got v South Africa ,,,been woke,,,or he is genuinely correct....

Bangladesh posters enlighten me please.:D
I think there is bad blood there. West Bengalis (in India) and East Bengalis (Bangladeshis) don’t have a good history. I know a few who would be offended and angry at being called Bangladeshi/Bengali, depending on which side they are from.

vcs

I don't know if it's offensive. I imagine it would be the equivalent of calling Pakistanis from the Punjab province Punjabis?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think there is bad blood there. West Bengalis (in India) and East Bengalis (Bangladeshis) don’t have a good history. I know a few who would be offended and angry at being called Bangladeshi/Bengali, depending on which side they are from.
Bangladesh literally means the land of the Bengalis, or the Bangla. There are Bengalis on both sides of the Indo-Bangla border, just as there are Punjabis on both sides of the Indo-Pak border. No Bengali would take offense at the hint of a shared heritage across borders.

Usage of the word "Bengali" as an ethnic marker is fraught with danger only in the Pakistani-Bangla context given the history of disenfranchisement of Bengalis and their labelling as a non-martial race and their genocide by West Pakistan.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Bangladesh literally means the land of the Bengalis, or the Bangla. There are Bengalis on both sides of the Indo-Bangla border, just as there are Punjabis on both sides of the Indo-Pak border. No Bengali would take offense at the hint of a shared heritage across borders.

Usage of the word "Bengali" as an ethnic marker is fraught with danger only in the Pakistani-Bangla context given the history of disenfranchisement of Bengalis and their labelling as a non-martial race and their genocide by West Pakistan.
My ex mother in law was Bengali from the Indian side. Bangladeshis killed her entire family. She said she hated being called Bangladeshi.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
My ex mother in law was Bengali from the Indian side. Bangladeshis killed her entire family. She said she hated being called Bangladeshi.
If a Punjabi from Lahore kills a Punjabi's family from Amritsar, the latter would hate being called a Pakistani. He'd still identify as Punjabi. You conflate ethnicity and nationality.