• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

43,000 at domestic Twenty20 game

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Went last night and it was just a sensational atmosphere. The standing ovation Hodge got was just massive.

20/20 cricket is here to stay and dare i say it could really make cricket one of the biggest sports worldwide imo.

Don't rekon we even need this franchise ideas but it would breed a more fantatical approach and passion like AFL/NRL.

Could we one day see 80k at the G? Imagine a Geelong franchise vs an Essendon franchise for example? Could be massive.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Essendon can go and **** off, and I live here.

I would not be able to support an Essendon franchise because it'd be linked to the AFL team.

:p That was for you Mike

pasag

RTDAS
Would be good, Essendon can attract all the scum supporters separating them from the rest of us.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
$10 adult
$5 concession

I couldn't think of a better spent $10 for a great night out. Bring your own snacks, sink some beers before the game and it's a ripping night.
Which means in terms of revenue its insignificant but more a promotional tool.

And if you're bringing your own food and drinks then the money from 43,000 people would pale in comparison to 15,000 at the SCG for an international.

Cricket Australia doesn't run on how many seats are filled at a match but how much money it generates. Something Victorians haven't quite grasped yet.

"OMG, AFL is the biggest sport in the world because people pay 50 cents for a seat and games have 90,000 people there." - typical Victorian.

Jayzamann

International Regular
I love this. And who knows, maybe in the next few seasons, Victorian Big Bash games are played in front of sellout MCG crowds? :O

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember a couple of years back, first ever domestic T20 game between NSW and QLD at the Gabba. I ended up getting in for free because the crowds were so big they couldn't get everyone in on time so they just let like half the crowd in. Was 27 000 people that night (officially) but I have no idea how they counted the masses of people they let in without tickets.

pasag

RTDAS
I remember a couple of years back, first ever domestic T20 game between NSW and QLD at the Gabba. I ended up getting in for free because the crowds were so big they couldn't get everyone in on time so they just let like half the crowd in. Was 27 000 people that night (officially) but I have no idea how they counted the masses of people they let in without tickets.
Still get into FC matches for free if you have a tram ticket (last year anyways)

pasag

RTDAS
20,000 odd at an ODI at the MCG
40,000 at a domestic Twenty20 at the MCG

One would think the days of excessive ODI series are on the way to being well and truly over and when they sit down to decide on the 2011-12 itinerary things will be drastically different.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hardly suprised. Bloated run of meaningless ODI games, against opposition who hardly excite the fans..

Such a shame, 20K at the Adelaide Oval looks a vibrant crowd. 20K at the MCG is such a diluted experience.

pasag

RTDAS
Hardly suprised. Bloated run of meaningless ODI games, against opposition who hardly excite the fans..

Such a shame, 20K at the Adelaide Oval looks a vibrant crowd. 20K at the MCG is such a diluted experience.
I feel bad for not going, but really cbf.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Impressive numbers for domestic. Was it last year that they had ~ 70k at the MCG for an international 20/20?