• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was flicking through the list of most hundreds, interested to see how many blokes have a better conversation rate than Smith.

Younis Khan has the most hundreds with a conversion rate >= 1 hundred for each 50. He made 34 hundreds and 33 50s. Such an underrated cricketer.

Also above Smith:

Hayden 30/29
Bradman 29/13 (!)
Clarke 28/27

The only man on this list who had played less matches than Smith was Bradman.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo tells me Smith has made 7 consecutive fifties in Ashes tests but really we all know the current streak is actually at 1.

morgieb

That Bradman conversion rate is nuts. I wouldn't bat an eyelid for a batsman who went 13/29 re: conversion rate, for example.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was flicking through the list of most hundreds, interested to see how many blokes have a better conversation rate than Smith.

Younis Khan has the most hundreds with a conversion rate >= 1 hundred for each 50. He made 34 hundreds and 33 50s. Such an underrated cricketer.

Also above Smith:

Hayden 30/29
Bradman 29/13 (!)
Clarke 28/27

The only man on this list who had played less matches than Smith was Bradman.
Clarke had that three year block where basically if you let him get to 20, then the only question left was whether he'd add another zero to the end of that score or not. Before then I don't think his conversion rate was that great, but after he got the captaincy it got ridiculous.

morgieb

Oddly even though Stokes WPM is way higher than Watson's he's only taken the 4 5-fers to Watson's 3. Thought the disparency would be a lot higher than that, especially given Stokes has only played 6 fewer Tests.

Similarly the century disparency is 4 for Watson and 6 for Stokes.

OverratedSanity

Kallis>>>>>Shakib>Stokes so far this millenium imo. Stokes is going to have a much stronger case by the time he ends his career though, because Shakib will have probably played 10 more tests by then.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Oddly even though Stokes WPM is way higher than Watson's he's only taken the 4 5-fers to Watson's 3. Thought the disparency would be a lot higher than that, especially given Stokes has only played 6 fewer Tests.

Similarly the century disparency is 4 for Watson and 6 for Stokes.
Watson had a lot of trouble going on to centuries and he had a lot more opportunity seeing he was an opener. 4 centuries and 24 50s, while Stokes is 6 centuries and 18 50s.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The scary thing about Smith for me is I actually think he is getting better. I can easily see him being a monster for another 4-5 years at least.

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah there was plenty of embellishment and who knows what really went on behind closed doors, but the team dynamics stuff all scanned pretty well with what everyone could see in public on-field
Trott mentions it in his book, but he definitely makes it sound less prevalent than KP. Only really mentions the whole apologising in the dressing room thing as happening in the 2010 Bangladesh tour that Strauss missed.

Spark

Global Moderator
The scary thing about Smith for me is I actually think he is getting better. I can easily see him being a monster for another 4-5 years at least.
Yeah this is easily the most focussed I've seen him bat. Although it'll be some sight if he ever tops India 2017.

stephen

That Bradman conversion rate is nuts. I wouldn't bat an eyelid for a batsman who went 13/29 re: conversion rate, for example.
Probably the worst conversion rate for a decent batsman was Fleming who scored 9 hundreds and 46 50s.

Plenty of noteworthy batsmen have had a ratio of 2 50s: 1 100. Dravid, Chanderpaul and Border are at the top of that list.

vcs

That enforced break would have probably helped him a bit to recharge the batteries, mentally more than anything else.

vcs

Probably the worst conversion rate for a decent batsman was Fleming who scored 9 hundreds and 46 50s.

Plenty of noteworthy batsmen have had a ratio of 2 50s: 1 100. Dravid, Chanderpaul and Border are at the top of that list.
Mohammad Azharuddin - 22 hundreds, 21 fifties

Kohli - 25 hundreds, 20 fifties

mr_mister

Ranatunga 4 and 38 in tests and 4 and 49 in ODIs

Crazy