• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

27th Match - England v Sri Lanka

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Moeen Ali proving that experiences means **** all in Cricket. I mean I remember at least half a dozen similar dismissals of his in situations where the only thing required of him is to not be dismissed. If you are a dumb ass, you are going to do dumb ass things. They just can't help it. Moeen Ali and Ravi Jadeja of the same club. At least Moeen doesn't pull the "this is totally the first time this is ever happening to me" headshake.
Jadeja has played several clutch innings in recent times so this is a bad example IMO.

Howsie

International Captain
it's genuinely wild that think the **** off ludicrous scores that happen outside WCs are representative of actual pressure WC games. thrashing Afghanistan and SA belting WI for 400+ (before 2015) tells you nothing about how you'll perform in tough chases in important games and yet people still fall for it
Without trying to rub it in even further here for England but I honestly believe they’re probably the weakest team in terms of adaptability (batting wise) in this tournament.

Hopefully after today they realise they won’t score 350 plus against every team and sometimes you will need someone to actually dig in.

rythy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah for a team to be considered strong in batting that's lot of concern while chasing. WC pressure is different from series, plus overconfidence. Still think today they should/would have won if their batsmen and lower order didn't brain farted.

But the actual fight is next 3 matches which they can lose all.

Bijed

International Regular
If the problem is 'this pitch is tricky to bat on', the solution is never 'let me try to clear long-off'
Yeah, didn't mean to imply it was, it was just more that I thought Spark was underestimating the difficulty of the job in hand at that point

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jadeja has played several clutch innings in recent times so this is a bad example IMO.
More in Tests where he's genuinely become a useful lower order bat, can't remember many in ODIs.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah for a team to be considered strong in batting that's lot of concern while chasing. WC pressure is different from series, plus overconfidence. Still think today they should/would have won if their batsmen and lower order didn't brain farted.

But the actual fight is next 3 matches which they can lose all.
Very easily. Aside from anything, it's shown how daft some folks were to be saying that the top 4 was done and dusted; never the case.
And yes, this England side is carrying too many idiots with the bat; Moeen, of course, but Vince too.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
According to him it’s a World Cup with only three teams involved. England are suppose to be the all powerful will make 350 plus every time they bat super team.
He doesn't have any idea how good some of the teams outside top 10 are. Tell him England got beaten by Scotland recently.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What an irony! Yesterday I was thinking this WC is getting boring.

Thanks Malinga and other SL bowlers for reminding me why I love this game.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The bad thing for England is that Moeen will probably (deservedly) be dropped after this game, but this is the time in the tournament where spinners are starting to get purchase so I feel he's a must in semi/final.

rythy

School Boy/Girl Captain
From being favorites to now being talked about they might even get knocked out. If England does not qualify for semis it will be quite embarrassing for them. Home conditions...so much hype and then....

BeeGee

International Captain
What an irony! Yesterday I was thinking this WC is getting boring.
That's not irony, just a bad call.

To state the obvious, the game against Aus is now huge. If they lose, their confidence will be in tatters. England desperately need a win to get their confidence back.

Zinzan

Without trying to rub it in even further here for England but I honestly believe they’re probably the weakest team in terms of adaptability (batting wise) in this tournament.

Hopefully after today they realise they won’t score 350 plus against every team and sometimes you will need someone to actually dig in.
A few of us raised this question about England, and it's one of 2-3 reasons I've maintained I don't think they'll win this WC. Batsmen having absolute trust on the deep batting line-up following them, does lend itself to a collapse where no one is prepared to consolidate.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
You all thought the dark horses of this world cup would be Pakistan, West Indies, NZ or Bangladesh...

But no, it was Sri Lanka all along! No one suspects Sri Lanka.

Fooled by Sri Lanka's guise of mediocrity England will be ripe for the plucking tonight.
:cool:

Top_Cat

A few of us raised this question about England, and it's one of 2-3 reasons I've maintained I don't think they'll win this WC. Batsmen having absolute trust on the deep batting line-up following them, does lend itself to a collapse where no one is prepared to consolidate.
They’ve passed 300 in 8 or their last 9 ODI’s. The odd dropped game aside, why would they worry about the possibility of needing to dig in?

Today was a massive choke, one of the worst. Still massive favourites to take the tournament, in my view.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Absolute garbage innings from Matthews. What on earth has happened to him?
Haha, I know nothing. The result the World Cup desperately needed, thank you Sri Lanka! I didn’t think Malinga still had it in him.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
How can we be massive favourites after this, honestly?

Seems to be our Test habits creeping into the one-day game, and it is a lot of the same players, especially in the batting line-up. We've had so many collective brainfades in that format, where seemingly every player becomes infected with the same tension that causes them to seize up and make poor decisions under pressure. Doesn't speak well of the management, since this has been a problem for years now.

That pressure is only going to get more intense from here, and we just don't seem to cope with it well.