• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

27th Match - Bangladesh v Scotland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tromperie

Cricket Spectator
How popular is cricket in Scotland though? In 99 many didn't even know they were in a world cup.
More popular than you'd think, especially in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. Glasgow's got a few clubs, and obviously there's a decent-ish following of the sport up north; a lot of matches invoving Scotland have been played in Aberdeen.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Was only able to crack 200 in the world cup last match and now they might go on to a 300+ score. What a great story.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
More popular than you'd think, especially in Edinburgh and the surrounding areas. Glasgow's got a few clubs, and obviously there's a decent-ish following of the sport up north; a lot of matches invoving Scotland have been played in Aberdeen.
Okay. Wish more was done to get them to play at higher levels in all these years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
How popular is cricket in Scotland though? In 99 many didn't even know they were in a world cup.
It's much more popular than people realise. 2nd most popular sport by participation.

Off the top of my head I can think of 6 clubs in the Glasgow area alone and that's just trying to recall teams I would have played when I played U11s.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In terms of participation Aberdeenshire is one of the most cricket mad parts of the world I'm sure.

One of the Caribbean islands is top of that particular league table IIRC

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In terms of participation Aberdeenshire is one of the most cricket mad parts of the world I'm sure.

One of the Caribbean islands is top of that particular league table IIRC
Why has Scotland not done better given the history and decent following? Given the things you and a couple of other people have said, which are true I am sure, Scottish cricket probably should have been at a far better level by now? What's been the roadblocks?