• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely there's ways they can manage that without giving him a national contract. It's not like WA would go and try bowl him into the ground, I'm sure they're just as concerned.
Domestic contracts won't stop him just giving up everything other than T20 and going freelance though. They're basically just paying him to not give up on what they want him for. I'd probably roll the dice too tbh.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just noticed that Johnson's missing. I don't like that, I think he has the potential to be a batter test player than Morris but he's of an age where they need to make use of him soon. Might have been a pick over Bartlett or even Boland. Or Abbott, who doesn't seem to be anything other than a perennial stopgap.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Gillespie has resigned from both coaching roles.

That is a big loss for South Australia. Entered the FC role as the core of the side (Ferguson, Cooper, Sayers, Mennie) exited and our two best players were called up in all formats for national duties. The results weren't too bad given that we were facing potential oblivion. One legacy of his tenure will be bringing in at least three guys on the fringes of their state sides (McSweeney, McAndrew, Manenti) who are a reasonable foundation for a side going forward.
Really? He has one BBL title in nine years, which was six years ago, despite usually having a strong team on paper, and the Shield team has generally been a laughing stock under his guidance.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would give up on Richardson. He's had way too many injuries it's unlikely to just stop happening at his age. He's clearly a weak-bodied athlete not up to the physical requirements.

morgieb

Some interesting probable moves:

* Kuhnemann -> Tasmania
* J Sangha -> South Australia
* Maddinson -> NSW (not c'd)
* Phillippe -> NSW
* Prestwidge -> Tasmania
* Hughes/Patterson up in the air
* Burns to get axed (but I think that was already announced?)
* Dean to retire

Also heard elsewhere that Agar and Dean Elgar were linked to South Australia.

Please let the Mad Dog news happen.

Starfighter

* Kuhnemann -> Tasmania
Hope this is not a career killer. He's a far superior bowler to Freeman so he should be their main spinner if he does move.

The said what's really needed is to do something about the wickets this past season, so people actually do play spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

* Kuhnemann -> Tasmania
* J Sangha -> South Australia
* Maddinson -> NSW (not c'd)
* Phillippe -> NSW
* Prestwidge -> Tasmania
* Hughes/Patterson up in the air
* Burns to get axed (but I think that was already announced?)
* Dean to retire

Also heard elsewhere that Agar and Dean Elgar were linked to South Australia.

Please let the Mad Dog news happen.
#bringthemhome @Spikey

Spark

Global Moderator
Can definitely see the Elgar thing happening given the sorts of things he's been saying to the media tbh. It seems very much like he still has the hunger to play and play a lot, but is 100% done with South African cricket in general.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think the Elgar thing will happen. Looks like he's gonna move to Adelaide anyway so he might as well have a hit and make some money.

I like it. Only really because he's a batsman, but I like it.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think the Elgar thing will happen. Looks like he's gonna move to Adelaide anyway so he might as well have a hit and make some money.

If hunt figures hit **** out a top 3 of elgar-hunt-mcsweeney is pretty solid. Drew had a bad time last season but I still rate him as well

Spikey

#bringthemhome @Spikey
Mad Dog is obviously the most amazing example of #bringthemhome yet. I guess technically phillippe has never played for NSW and therefore isn't being brought home, however I would raise ordinance 2 of the #bringthemhome Act which says that any player who has played for the Sixers for 3 or more seasons can be "brought home" by NSW cricket.

hilariously, Phillippe only averages 2 more runs than Gilkes and he has some not outs in there, and yet this is obviously something that should happen

Burgey

We should Reverse Kepler him and have him open for the test side against SA in the Wessels-Wessels Trophy series