• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2023-24 Australian domestic cricket season

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The home schedule next summer seems perfectly designed to ensure the likes of Hardie are warming the bench or playing meaningless white ball internationals rather than getting FC experience for a potential test career.

Why the hell was he yanked from County again?

Starfighter

Contracts list for 24/25: Sean Abbott, Xavier Bartlett, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Nathan Ellis, Cameron Green, Aaron Hardie, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Lance Morris, Todd Murphy, Jhye Richardson, Matt Short, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Zampa

Agar, Neser, Harris and Stoinis out
Bartlett, Hardie, Ellis and Short in

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neser is unlucky but otherwise those are big big upgrades over the previous contract holders
Well that means it's working lol

If the changes you've made on the contract list aren't better players at the current point in time you've done something very wrong

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

If the changes you've made on the contract list aren't better players at the current point in time you've done something very wrong
Yeah but that unfortunately happens all the time.

Really happy with the changes. I feel for Neser but as much as he's a better domestic cricketer now than he was a couple of years ago with his massive improvements in batting output, he's less useful to the Australian Test setup for the slight decline in his bowling, especially since there are three blokes ahead of him as pace bowling all rounders.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah his bowling has taken a backslide at a terrible time, but even if it didn't he's probably not playing much cricket ahead of the big 3 quicks or the big 2 or 3 all rounders

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah his bowling has taken a backslide at a terrible time, but even if it didn't he's probably not playing much cricket ahead of the big 3 quicks or the big 2 or 3 all rounders
Yeah but he'd probably be worth a contract ahead of Abbott or Richardson if he was still bowling as well as he was a couple of years ago.

Starfighter

Well they picked Harris last time when he wasn't. They'd have been better off picking no-one and saving some money.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Yeah but he'd probably be worth a contract ahead of Abbott or Richardson if he was still bowling as well as he was a couple of years ago.
No he wasn't. Neser is more a # 6-7 batter who bowls a bit now. Marsh doesn't have long left in the team but Hardie will replace him so Neser is obsolete

Starfighter

It's probably just so they can continue to manage his workload in the hope he stops breaking.
Surely there's ways they can manage that without giving him a national contract. It's not like WA would go and try bowl him into the ground, I'm sure they're just as concerned.

An interesting question is who would you give one to instead of him. Neser? Also I think Murphy was perhaps a bit lucky to keep his considering how well Richococcciochicioli has bowled this year (though I think they'd have just not given one for a second spinner in that case). I think our next tour where we'd want multiple spinners in the squad is SL (?) and Murphy's style is more suited there, but it worries me that players seem to get anointed early even when other guys might also put up a good case.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No he wasn't. Neser is more a # 6-7 batter who bowls a bit now.
I think that's an exaggeration, but also it was my point lol. His batting has improved heaps but he's not really worthy of consideration as a frontline bowler anymore. If he had both at once he'd have been worth it.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Gillespie has resigned from both coaching roles.

That is a big loss for South Australia. Entered the FC role as the core of the side (Ferguson, Cooper, Sayers, Mennie) exited and our two best players were called up in all formats for national duties. The results weren't too bad given that we were facing potential oblivion. One legacy of his tenure will be bringing in at least three guys on the fringes of their state sides (McSweeney, McAndrew, Manenti) who are a reasonable foundation for a side going forward.