• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022-2023 New Zealand First-Class Draft

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Still hard to pick the winner here. No more Santner or Macewell for Athlai, Ravindra to be absent for a week or two, but no more Southee or Henry for Straw Man, either.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Confirmed NZA players in the top five teams:

Straw Man: 1 (Duffy)
Athlai: 1 (Solia)
Chewie: 3 (McConchie, Fletcher, Randell)
Braai: 2 (Foxcroft, M Hay)
Ataraxia: 3 (Cooper, Bruce, Ajaz)

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

Australia A squad: Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Aaron Hardie, Peter Handscomb, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Pierson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh that rule is definitely there for any dumb stuff like batting Keene (a former NZ U19 opener, albeit not that flash at it) lower than 9.

You can see a team like Athlai's all-rounder extravaganza is still tapping into the 'points system rewards all-rounders slightly too much' strategy again this season. That's why I can't let it become an unfettered free-for-all down in the rabbits' hutch.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Have a restriction on number of bowlers who score more batting points than bowling points, just like there is a restriction the other way around

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How would you classify bowlers in that rule. Like two guys in the 6-11 slots can score more batting points than bowling points, infringing players (lowest points-earners first) forfeit points.

Important ton from Popli on his last afternoon of play to tip things in Straw Man's favour. Brett Randell has to quickly get over a head knock and turn out against Aus A to boost Chewie's chances.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great season for Popli after he spent several years not living up to the level he set back near the start of his career (I checked and it was way back in 15-16 with 1149 at 67).

I'd noted in the domestic thread that both Cleaver and Seifert were having poor PS seasons but forgot they were both in my draft team :happy:.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Heads up for @Chewie, Simon Keene out with concussion.

If you pick a Sunde/Gibson/Harrison/Clark/Johnson/Boyle for your bench, he will be activated.

CENTRAL STAGS SQUAD

GREG Hay (c) — Nelson

JACK Boyle — Hawke’s Bay

WILL Clark — Hawke’s Bay

JOSH Clarkson — Nelson

DANE Cleaver (w) — Manawatū

LIAM Dudding — Hawke’s Bay

CURTIS Heaphy — Manawatū

BRETT Johnson — Hawke’s Bay, uncapped, potential first-class debut

JAYDEN Lennox, Hawke's Bay

BRAD Schmulian — Hawke’s Bay

BEVAN Small — Manawatū

RAY Toole — Manawatū

AUCKLAND ACES

Ben Horne (c, w)

Cole Briggs

Louis Delport

Danru Ferns

Matt Gibson

Martin Guptill

Ryan Harrison

Will O’Donnell

Will Somerville

Quinn Sunde

Ross Ter Braak

George Worker

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bevan Small another option I should've mentioned there. But yes Sunde has 52* on debut and the practice 91 against England.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
A solution could be that only a certain amount of players get their bowling points counted.
Yeah this could be the correct way to go. I've now done a trial run on a copy of the spreadsheet. Five bowlers earning their bowling points at 1x and one golden arm guy at 0.5x.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not getting any more serious points (dribs and drabs from Duffy and Cleaver by the looks). Solia and Delport could win it for Athlai, though that modification Kippax suggested to instead send Athlai to the bottom of the table looked a good one. :thumbs_up

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, Duffy is definitely galumphing Team Straw Man off the streets and into the stadium for the thrilling finish to this marathon. Splayed feet, poor technique.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking like that absence of Randell will weigh decisively on Chewie's chances (unless he returns to action on Saturday). McConchie and Fletcher have maxed out their game limits, but they seem to be in some form now and can still contribute somewhat. McConchie will be adding to the team tally from his 41st draft point in the coming weekend's game. 55th point for Fletcher.

I was a bit generous with Chewie's team regarding McPeake's status for the final two rounds. Apparently not very significantly injured at all and bowling at full pace in club games. Maybe the coaches wanted a look at some bowlers like Hartshorn who are closer to the borderline for being contracted. Or maybe they're planning to fully back the youth and don't see McPeake contracted.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not getting any more serious points (dribs and drabs from Duffy and Cleaver by the looks). Solia and Delport could win it for Athlai, though that modification Kippax suggested to instead send Athlai to the bottom of the table looked a good one. :thumbs_up
Naturally that kicks in next season