• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021 English Cricket Season

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
When did Middlesex become the worst county? Bottom of Championship and t20 groups. Thrashed by a Kent team with 7 debutants because of players missing with covid.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset lost against Cornwall with the nephew of THE Exeter City legend playing a part.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So the Royal London 50 over tournament has started today, featuring players who aren't good enough to make The Hundred's teams. Or most of England's test squad, of course. Interesting development, and probably the first time England's domestic game has seen two tournaments playing simultaneously. Tuning into Yorkshire vs Surrey on youtube, Yorkshire appear to be captained by Dom Bess and struggling a bit. But Surrey's batting is very depleted, so Yorkshire may well be OK.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Some teams suffer than others. Surrey and Essex are hammered by the hundred. 12-apiece I believe.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Some teams suffer than others. Surrey and Essex are hammered by the hundred. 12-apiece I believe.
Not for Surrey. Off the top of my head, Roy, Jacks, SCurran and TCurran are likely to play in the Hundred. I'd be surprised if Burns has been signed up, and Foakes is still injured.

EDIT
Consider me surprised. Burns has been signed up by the Oval Invincibles, as have Clark, Evans and Topley.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Not for Surrey. Off the top of my head, Roy, Jacks, SCurran and TCurran are likely to play in the Hundred. I'd be surprised if Burns has been signed up, and Foakes is still injured.

EDIT
Consider me surprised. Burns has been signed up by the Oval Invincibles, as have Clark, Evans and Topley.
Even Dom Sibley has a Hundred contract, with the Birmingham franchise, :laughing: :shocking:

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Sibley isn't actually too bad at T20, scores at a reasonable rate and his filthy part time bowling comes into play.

I think Burns normally comes in down the order in T20 and just slogs too.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Interested to see if we get any crowd figures for the 50 over comp.
Looked an okay crowd for the Hampshire match as well as the game at Scarborough from what i could see on the streams I was watching.
ECB will be hoping it's poor, then they can kill off the comp next year, they can then say nobody is interested in it.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Just been on the ECB website, the fixtures for the final 4 rounds of the divisional matches starting on August 30th and going into September have been released.
All matches to be played at county headquarter's with the exception of Yorkshire v Somerset@Scarborough and Lancashire v Hampshire@Liverpool.

FBU

International Debutant
The Lancs v Sussex game had 14 debutants yesterday. That must be some kind of record.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ridiculous goings-on at Guildford, which I was lucky enough to be able to watch on the live stream. Surrey 29 for 1 when the rain came after 8 overs, with Amla gone and not the most promising line-up to come. When I switched on, Ryan Patel was struggling to lay bat on ball against Matt Montgomery's gentle off-spin, and I'd have taken 150 gladly. Scrap that, Patel, whose previous highest List A score was 43, got his eye in and hit the same bowler for three consecutive sixes. Then did the same to Joey Evison and astonished everyone with an innings of 131 off 70 deliveries. Cue Jamie Smith and 50 from 16 deliveries before perishing for 54. They ended up with 311 from 30 overs. And that's before D/L comes into play as it didn't become a 30 over game until the 9th over.

EDIT
Interestingly, the Notts target was reduced to 300 from 30 overs. Not sure I understand the logic, but whatever. Notts started like a train at 72-0 from their first five and a half overs, so this may be quite a contest.

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Ridiculous goings-on at Guildford, which I was lucky enough to be able to watch on the live stream. Surrey 29 for 1 when the rain came after 8 overs, with Amla gone and not the most promising line-up to come. When I switched on, Ryan Patel was struggling to lay bat on ball against Matt Montgomery's gentle off-spin, and I'd have taken 150 gladly. Scrap that, Patel, whose previous highest List A score was 43, got his eye in and hit the same bowler for three consecutive sixes. Then did the same to Joey Evison and astonished everyone with an innings of 131 off 70 deliveries. Cue Jamie Smith and 50 from 16 deliveries before perishing for 54. They ended up with 311 from 30 overs. And that's before D/L comes into play as it didn't become a 30 over game until the 9th over.

EDIT
Interestingly, the Notts target was reduced to 300 from 30 overs. Not sure I understand the logic, but whatever. Notts started like a train at 72-0 from their first five and a half overs, so this may be quite a contest.
Is it a powerplay thing? I guess Surrey would have had their first 9 overs of the powerplay before the rain, but Notts get it pro-rata down to 6?