• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2021/22 New Zealand First-Class Season Draft

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
So you could have a 5/1 split if you really wanted? interesting
Yes an out-of-form batsman has always been the absolute worst thing to have in this draft. The blunter's bonus points, and the chance to put a Nathan Smith type of player down at 5, that's probably going to make the need to have chosen the big bowling kingpins of the season a bit less imperative this time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Im going to ruin careers here
Yeah we don't want a deliberately silly and half-baked Athlai lineup this time tbh.

A fourth wooden spoon in a row will only be funny if we can see that you didn't seek it out, and there's an additional teams element to consider this time. Vandem, Chewie and Straw Man are often very shrewd drafters, and I expect our Cougars will be exposed.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I didn't seek it out!

Last year Conway wasn't quite the same machine and had other duties. Seifert went MIA. Clarke didn't do a lot. But the big disappointments were Newton who got injured and missed the second half of the season, and Bennett who sucked for the first half of the season and also didn't play.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, it hurts when you pick a player who’s gunned it for several seasons only to underwhelm when they’re on your roster. I remember being so sure that Ish Sodhi was a smart 2nd round pick after he’d taken something like 70 wickets at 20 in the previous 2 seasons, only to watch him bowl pies and got f all for squillions. Actually made my genuinely hesitate before picking Wagner this time.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't seek it out!

Last year Conway wasn't quite the same machine and had other duties. Seifert went MIA. Clarke didn't do a lot. But the big disappointments were Newton who got injured and missed the second half of the season, and Bennett who sucked for the first half of the season and also didn't play.
Yes, I'm not saying you did seek that third one out last season.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I didn't seek it out!

Wasn't it also that Conway was with the Black Caps for much of the season / 12th man in the tests so didn't play as much?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Wasn't it also that Conway was with the Black Caps for much of the season / 12th man in the tests so didn't play as much?
For a bit of the season, probably ended up meaning he couldn't get into the rhythm he previously had. But he went okay, just not quite round 1 quality.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes Athlai couldn't even activate his bench when they kept Conway as Test drinks boy. I've changed that now, so if your player is in that Indian tour squad you'll be better treated by the draft's rules this time.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, it hurts when you pick a player who’s gunned it for several seasons only to underwhelm when they’re on your roster. I remember being so sure that Ish Sodhi was a smart 2nd round pick after he’d taken something like 70 wickets at 20 in the previous 2 seasons, only to watch him bowl pies and got f all for squillions. Actually made my genuinely hesitate before picking Wagner this time.
I had a look to see what kind of game time the players got last season and their chances of getting a call up to Black Caps. I had hoped to get Duffy again but he may see more international appearances this home summer - though not in tests one imagines.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Yea that's the risk with me picking Henry is him sitting on the Black Caps bench the whole season

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sean Solia. Hopefully he'll be enjoying his batting again lower down the order (with the new signing Worker to open). His bowling with this new Dookaburra took 12 wickets @ 13 for Auckland last season.

@Bahnz