• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand First-Class Season Draft (Division 1)

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
McConchie
Solia
Mitchell
N Smith
Southee
Rance

Guptill
Neesham
Ferns
Kelly

A team full of batting allrounders that were terrible at batting first round, leaving only the dribs and drabs of part-timer wickets. Southee only takes the field for the first time this morning in a dead rubber. Guptill scoring runs that don't count an extra annoyance. On to the next round.
Solia and Mitchell taking quite a few wickets and McConchie likely to do so at some point in the season could make it interesting for you

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes if we want Straw Man to run aground with the cold calculation of his strategy (just lots of loophole exploitation rather than players he rates or loves) we needed to see this sort of thing in October's conditions.

1603324547998.png

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes if we want Straw Man to run aground with the cold calculation of his strategy (just lots of loophole exploitation rather than players he rates or loves) we needed to see this sort of thing in October's conditions.
I do like these players ftr - was genuinely impressed with Mitchell's hundred for NZ last season, while the appeal of Smith is obvious. McClure got more hype a few seasons ago than his Canterbury teammate McConchie, but the latter has done more to justify attention by scoring runs, though last season admittedly could have been better. Rance is a domestic stalwart who swings the ball a long way in both directions, which I love (and being domestix, we can just ignore the times the ball isn't swinging). Solia a little like McConchie, is gradually building a record and may become a domestic run machine now he's late 20s and into 30s.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Your designated wicket-keeper will only score non-WK fielding and bowling points if he's making way in the match at hand for a gloveman with Test caps (Seifert for Watling, but not Phillips for Horne).
Blundell is my designated WK - what if he plays in a test and isn't keeper because Watling is keeper. Does he get non-WK fielding (and bowling) points?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I do like these players ftr - was genuinely impressed with Mitchell's hundred for NZ last season, while the appeal of Smith is obvious. McClure got more hype a few seasons ago than his Canterbury teammate McConchie, but the latter has done more to justify attention by scoring runs, though last season admittedly could have been better. Rance is a domestic stalwart who swings the ball a long way in both directions, which I love (and being domestix, we can just ignore the times the ball isn't swinging). Solia a little like McConchie, is gradually building a record and may become a domestic run machine now he's late 20s and into 30s.
Very good, but I think I may still need Cribb's unique appreciation of team balancing, cricket aesthetics and numeracy to advise me behind the scenes on the right rule to nerf a complete surfeit of batting all-rounders, if we do this all again in 2021/22.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's inherently hard to value 'runs that mean something' and 'wickets that mean something' from the scorecard, which underlies the problem here. But I suggest something to boost the draft value of top-3 batsmen - typically a tough job in NZ, far easier to sit in the cushy middle order, rack up good numbers and bowl part time overs for some stats-boosting wickets (those batting all-rounders do tend to bat 4-6).

I wonder if last season's numbers back this up.

Edit: Unfortunately for my draft, someone has promoted Solia out of his comfort zone to open for Auckland, having to do the hard work for reals.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm actually prouder of the Super Six that Phlegm has assembled for this one I think. I'm not seeing too many choices that are perennially unproductive in first-class until I get down to Bowes and Fletcher on his bench.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
greg hay
jeet raval
ross taylor
cameron fletcher
will williams
trent boult

chad bowes
andrew fletcher
michael rae

do i need another pick? i forgot

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Some are completing their drafting by taking their 10th man now, some are waiting to survey who's on the scene months from now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Some are waiting for Kippax to tell me when I need to pick a 10th man after I've cursed enough players

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1. BJ Watling+
2. Jacob Duffy
3. Will Young
4. Doug Bracewell
5. Tom Bruce
6. Ed Nuttall

7. Joe Walker
8. Zak Gibson
9. Christian Leopard
10. Josh Clarkson