• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This approach sounds great on the surface until you realize your second best bat (Devon Conway) is sitting on the bench and running water to Hamish Rutherford in the starting XI.
If he's our second best bat there's other middle order slots for him i.e. he can outscore nicholls or whoever is batting 4/5/6

Not a fan of rutherford either but i don't see why we should deplete our middle order stock searching for a Great Opening Bat when we're actually doing not too bad in that position for the first time since Richardson.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This approach sounds great on the surface until you realize your second best bat (Devon Conway) is sitting on the bench and running water to Hamish Rutherford in the starting XI.
just to get into this again.
1. Conway hasn't even debuted yet and already we're calling him our second best bat? hmmmm
2. If he is legitimately our 2nd best bat he'll force his way into any of the slots between 3-6 and/or create some healthy competition in the middle order
3. The chances of converting one of our domestic middle order bats into an opening bat who'll average 40 are about the same chance of just selecting an opener who'll average 40 - very very slim. But at least if we just select an opener we haven't depleted the stocks and competition for middle order slots
4. We're actually not doing too terrible in the opener spot for the first time since Richardson - it's only one other slot to fill since Latham has one spot nailed down, so we don't need to panic and force everyone to become an opener.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes there are streams (with the rewind option) to have a look at anyone in that game. Craig Cumming's son is the small left-hander with some stylish drives and clips when they overpitched, but also a few struggles with the bounce of J Latham and O'Rourke. That's all right back at the start.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
just to get into this again.
1. Conway hasn't even debuted yet and already we're calling him our second best bat? hmmmm
2. If he is legitimately our 2nd best bat he'll force his way into any of the slots between 3-6 and/or create some healthy competition in the middle order
3. The chances of converting one of our domestic middle order bats into an opening bat who'll average 40 are about the same chance of just selecting an opener who'll average 40 - very very slim. But at least if we just select an opener we haven't depleted the stocks and competition for middle order slots
4. We're actually not doing too terrible in the opener spot for the first time since Richardson - it's only one other slot to fill since Latham has one spot nailed down, so we don't need to panic and force everyone to become an opener.
1. Yes. I'm not saying he's our most effective batsman because you'd probably choose Nicholls to bat for your life over Conway, but technique and ability wise he's got to be up there. He's just damn impressive.
2. Yeah he will, he'll likely bat 4 when Ross pulls the pin which I suspect in Tests will be after the WTC final
3. Agreed. Young shouldn't be it - it should be Ravindra
4. Watling is near retirement and Blundell can't keep and open, so I guess it's just a case of people knowing we need an opener and no one's exactly screaming out for it.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I drove past Kellburn Park yesterday and saw there was a game on, but one of the teams was wearing emerald green caps. Did not compute that this was either of CD A or Wgtn A,

Last edited:

nzfan

Been away for few days and lot has happened in this time. BCs went on to win the series vs the Aussies yay... Firebirds lost vs CD not yay..

Sears is back for the game vs ND which is great. Maybe he can push for BC spot vs Bangladesh. Will be awesome to see Lockie, Sears, Henry and Jamieson in the t20s.

I think Finn Allen not playing is quite a loss. He's been in good touch and likely would have scored in 4 day format as well. Not sure why he's not available. The IPL is still some distance away. Would have liked to see him play the 4 dayers. He's not going to be unavailable for BCs for quite some time I think. There are rumours in the UK counties he'll be picked up for 100 or whatever the other t20 tourney they play.

Saw Ravindra at the nets, he sure can play no doubt. Maybe he's working his way back, not quite sure if he's ready but if he is then that's great news for firebirds.

Sadly Duffy is out I hear.. he would have played the t20s surely vs Bangladesh. I think we are going to miss half a dozen players easily for the t20 series and it's great way to test our bench strength. I think Bangladesh are a reasonable side. No more push overs. They sure can bat and their spinners are quite handy.

nzfan

I drove past Kellburn Park yesterday and saw there was a game on, but of of the teams was wearing emerald green caps. Did not compute that this was either of CD A or Wgtn A,
That's the CD A v Wellington A. Devan Vishvaka the kid that scored a lot of runs in the national u19s but not picked up for WC is on to it again. Scored like 170+ Last week Nick Greenwood scored a hundy as well... glad to see the boys score 100s. Usually you didn't see as many hundreds from Wellington A in the past.

Immenso

And that Napier pitch would have been far too spicy for him.

I'm disappointed he didn't play, but I was expecting a late season road or turner. But still baffled why he isn't.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes unsure about Allen's injury status tbh (no club cricket for Petone-Riverside, not active in R6 tomorrow). Sears will play.

I suppose you've got to see the mentality of every minor celebrity under the age of 22 as almost like they're a TikToker or YouTuber these days, unfortunately. Being trolled online for stinking it up in the longest format of the game in October/November to these men would be like a video that attracted a worrisome ratio of dislikes to likes within its first five minutes. It really has to all disappear, before it besmirches their reputation for great content even more than it has already.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen anything from his List A play to suggest he's any closer to being able to hack it in FC cricket though.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd class that Napier pitch as disappointingly green for March.
Yes they've cultivated a pretty green one again at Bay Oval this morning. This could be a theme to look for from NZC, where they're going to try to gear conditions towards the next major international assignment in that format. There was an increased willingness to play on worn and non-road pitches in the Super Smash (receptive to a change of pace = India, World T20).

Last edited:

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
Looks like only the ND/Wellington game is on atm. Can't believe they're playing the Otago match in Invercargill, it's 9 degrees there at the moment according the google, wouldn't want to be a slip fielder!

CD/Canterbury match starting tomorrow if anyone else is like me and couldn't figure out why the scorecard wasn't up

Chubb

International Regular
Looks like only the ND/Wellington game is on atm. Can't believe they're playing the Otago match in Invercargill, it's 9 degrees there at the moment according the google, wouldn't want to be a slip fielder!

CD/Canterbury match starting tomorrow if anyone else is like me and couldn't figure out why the scorecard wasn't up
Invercargill is the only place I've had a game snowed off, and another postponed for hail.

It is usually warmer at this time of year though. Had a couple of good summers when I lived there.

nzfan

Yup a green looking track but looks like the ball is coming on to the bat. Reasonable pace on the bat. Doing a bit but not like jagging off the pitch heaps.

That ball from McPeake to Cooper, absolute peach. Awesome length hitting the top of off.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Send West Indies or India there next time they tour :cool:

nzfan

Kuggs at no.6 and Sodhi at no.7 is a massive nosebleed. Jeet Raval was going well before Van Beek pulled off a screamer. I was starting to think Raval might make a come back to Black Caps.