• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

Binkley

U19 Captain
Great way to finish Ross! And the shots of the horde of kids fossicking in the bushes for the lost ball was classic.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The most de Grandhomme thing of all time must be returning from injury after months-long layoff, facing the second ball of a spell from a guy who took a wicket with the first, hitting the next two balls for six then getting out from from the third. And looking like a complete yokel (even by ND standards) while doing so. What a bloke.

And if anyone from Spark is reading, the highlights guy still needs to sort his ****ing act out. From the AKL/ND game we had only one of those CdG sixes, no proper replay of Solia's dismissal which looked worth another look, 4-5 replays of Phillips' iffy dismissal without the actual real time shot of him getting out, and probably more I can't remember.

thundaboult

International Debutant
The most de Grandhomme thing of all time must be returning from injury after months-long layoff, facing the second ball of a spell from a guy who took a wicket with the first, hitting the next two balls for six then getting out from from the third. And looking like a complete yokel (even by ND standards) while doing so. What a bloke.

And if anyone from Spark is reading, the highlights guy still needs to sort his ****ing act out. From the AKL/ND game we had only one of those CdG sixes, no proper replay of Solia's dismissal which looked worth another look, 4-5 replays of Phillips' iffy dismissal without the actual real time shot of him getting out, and probably more I can't remember.
The highlights are absolutely horrendous. Hire a decent editor from fiverr even, embarrassing. And lmao @ colin de yokel grandhomme

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
The most annoying thing for me with Spark at the moment is their scoreboard always seems to be a ball behind ... and if there’s something like they think a wide has been called but it turns out it was a no ball, the whole thing chaotically disappears for the next over or so.

It makes it totally impossible to follow the final over of a close t20, I just sit back, go with the flow and accept that whichever side looks happy when they walk off has probably won the game.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Attachments

nzfan

The most annoying thing for me with Spark at the moment is their scoreboard always seems to be a ball behind ... and if there’s something like they think a wide has been called but it turns out it was a no ball, the whole thing chaotically disappears for the next over or so.

It makes it totally impossible to follow the final over of a close t20, I just sit back, go with the flow and accept that whichever side looks happy when they walk off has probably won the game.
Few more gitches, after 4 games or so of firebirds they showed the points table with 3 wins and 1 loss to firebirds... I thought that was strange. Surely they will have enough gadgets to work these things out accurately.

The one ball behind stuff is annoying as hell. At some point in time commentators said the over isn't done yet and one more to go only to realize the over was done but Spark hadn't updated it yet. Must be hard for commentators get used to scorecard being a ball old.

Why don't they show stats for the players when they just walk in or about to bowl. Shouldn't be all that hard I thought.

nzfan

Few clues for Black Caps from the Aus India series? 3 players that played a big role for India include u19 players from 2016 and 2019. No baggage to carry and they expressed themselves. India A side is majorly of youngish players. I'm not fully aware of how many more U19 players from the last 2-6 years play for India A but I'm guessing there must be fair number of them.

We have one u19 player from the last 6 years playing for Black Caps, Glenn Phillips. He hasn't done all that bad either.

We need to up the ante with more A tours if we have to do well going forward and provide deserving young ones a go in those games. I see all these guys playing for India have been part of A tours for ages. No wonder they were not overwhelmed at the prospect of playing the Aussies.

Wonder how NZ and Aus compare with India as for A tours are concerned. England Lions have a robust program I think. There's no readily available stats to tell us this but we have done all right in the last couple of years. Hope more is invested in this stream.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Have done pretty well with hosting A series but could probably do more to arrange a few more A tours - the last one I think was to the UAE in 2018.

nzfan

Have done pretty well with hosting A series but could probably do more to arrange a few more A tours - the last one I think was to the UAE in 2018.
And give your under 19 players a good go. Don't be satisfied with one or two players here and there. Unless they are given a go no way to know. Our domestic decks are heavily skewed and don't reflect the true talent. I know we can't produce as many serious talent like India does but there's definite room to progress younger ones. Don't want us to end up like the Aussies in 5 years time with bench strength only good enough for domestic cricket and no exposure to anything higher than domestic cricket.

Immenso

Wonder how NZ and Aus compare with India as for A tours are concerned. England Lions have a robust program I think. There's no readily available stats to tell us this but we have done all right in the last couple of years. Hope more is invested in this stream.
The Big 3 are playing each other all the time in 'A' tours.
They used to also include South Africa A in a quad series.

Only India have the resources or the good will to also play teams outside their Big 3 club.

Moss

In addition to the point about more A tours (whatever extent that is possible) would also say don't be afraid to stack the T20 and even ODI sides with youngsters. These may be meaningless except in the lead-up to a world cup but should serve as a good introduction to the international stage for the younger players, if done properly.

nzfan

In addition to the point about more A tours (whatever extent that is possible) would also say don't be afraid to stack the T20 and even ODI sides with youngsters. These may be meaningless except in the lead-up to a world cup but should serve as a good introduction to the international stage for the younger players, if done properly.
We should have done that already but I get a feeling we are almost afraid to try any young ones. Even if we do, we try one for the next 4 years and then the next one comes in. No complaints the way it has worked but sometimes we take this fixed team in all format for granted. Team full of 30 year olds help as they have the experience and have played long enough to hold their own but there's no reason why ODI and T20Is shouldn't be used as a platform. Point in case Phillips was tried like maybe 3 years ago I'm guessing and since then no none. We had great opportunity to have introduced Jamieson in Aussie but they took the safer option of playing Henry.

It's almost like we first check if they are over 26 years of age and if they are then we get them in the team :p Age should not be a factor for selection whether the player is 18 year old or 36 year old. If they are good enough, fit enough and have lots to offer then they should be given a go IMO.

nzfan

King Kane back playing T20s for ND tomorrow.... vs Canterbury. Wonder if Latham is playing as well. It'll be a cracker of a game, don't miss guys.

nzfan

Would have been real good if Firebirds played their full ND side in Basin but not to be. I think Firebirds have already played two rounds vs ND?

Bennett, Ben Sears and Ravindra bowling to Kane and co.... Finn Allen, Conway and Ravindra vs Boult, Southee, CDG would have been a blockbuster.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Would have been real good if Firebirds played their full ND side in Basin but not to be. I think Firebirds have already played two rounds vs ND?

Bennett, Ben Sears and Ravindra bowling to Kane and co.... Finn Allen, Conway and Ravindra vs Boult, Southee, CDG would have been a blockbuster.
Oh man that's juicy. Sucks it won't happen most likely.