• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Ah, that's right. I thought he got dropped for Vincent in the World Series, but he had actually been dropped a season or so earlier as part of the philosophy of keeping players on their toes. I think Fleming said that might have also contributed to Cairns' retirement.
Same with McMillan I think, he had his successful ODI and T20 comeback from being dropped but then still couldn’t force his way into the test team and retired instead.

nzfan

Lance is a very good man... doing a reasonable job as firebirds assistant coach. Obviously the loyalty to the club means players from that club are given a bit more go than the rest is the rumour mill but I don't quite believe that.

nzfan

Aces have lost 6 out of 6 ... does that mean they will go some of their fringe bowlers a go? Last year comp's finalists and this year they haven't won a game. They got rid of McCleneghan and Hira. Two of their better players from last year. Not sure what the thinking there. Aces bowling hasn't been up to the mark. Their batting has been all right. Good time for them to bring in Ashok? Don't see why not.

nzfan

Volts vs CD today... CD looking real strong. Not sure about Otago side yet but Josh Finnie smashed like 80 off 35 balls or something couple of days ago for Otago A. Hope he gets a go. Not sure why they bat him way down the order. They should have him opening and going for it. Broom can slot in at no.3

1610936688325.png

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Btw, is Christian Leopard still pursuing cricket that seriously? He had huuuuuge wraps on him as a teenager, and was a top performer in U19's, but his career has completely stagnated in the past couple of years - averaging 11 in list A's and 18 in T20's and not having played FC cricket in more than 2 years. Anyone have an understanding of why things have turned out for him this way?

nzfan

Btw, is Christian Leopard still pursuing cricket that seriously? He had huuuuuge wraps on him as a teenager, and was a top performer in U19's, but his career has completely stagnated in the past couple of years - averaging 11 in list A's and 18 in T20's and not having played FC cricket in more than 2 years. Anyone have an understanding of why things have turned out for him this way?
To be fair he was always thought to be one that's best suited for white ball cricket. Speaking few years ago to the CD age group coach he wasn't confident of Leopard being a serious talent like some of us thought. This after he had smashed some serious runs in the age group tourney.

The coach didn't think he had good enough technique to survive on our decks and be consistent. I thought otherwise then.

He's had his fair share of injuries including back injury serious enough to threaten his cricketing career.

Was definitely a dangerous player in the age group.

I hear he's now playing in the Darwin Aussie club cricket in the winters. Still young enough to turn it around.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair he was always thought to be one that's best suited for white ball cricket. Speaking few years ago to the CD age group coach he wasn't confident of Leopard being a serious talent like some of us thought. This after he had smashed some serious runs in the age group tourney.

The coach didn't think he had good enough technique to survive on our decks and be consistent. I thought otherwise then.
Yeah, I remember watching him bat in the 2016 U19 World Cup (I think) and thinking he looked ridiculously raw, pretty much a slightly more cultured Tim Southee at that point. Had kinda hoped that once he got into professional cricket that some of those rough edges would be ironed out (a la young Ross) but if he's had injuries and has been funnelled down the T20 pathway then it's understandable that he might've made less progress.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Two wickets in the over for Clarkson! Big turnaround after a rollicking start by Otago.

The Hutt Rec

I wonder why they don't just show these youtube games on Spark? I know it's lesser quality, but they showed the matches covered on this way on Sky last season. Makes no difference I guess, just a bit easier to find on the Spark app for my tv than the youtube one.

jcas0167

International Debutant

He's had his fair share of injuries including back injury serious enough to threaten his cricketing career.

Was definitely a dangerous player in the age group.

I hear he's now playing in the Darwin Aussie club cricket in the winters. Still young enough to turn it around.
Yeah, Harry Findlay apparently thought he was better than Ryder or Williamson as a 13 year old than those two had been. From this article he is also quite a keen trainer (being former a age group runner). The impression I've had is he has done well batting for CD A about 3 or 4, but he tends to bat below Clarkson, Noema-Barnett & Bracewell in the Super Smash. CD has also had Luddick and Foxcroft in previous seasons.

nzfan

Nathan Smith back playing and making an impact right away. 3 fer so far... Another very talented player. All format player as well.

Moss

Just discovered the fancode app carries super smash coverage so tuned in to the CD Otago game. First ever proper look at Clarkson, does appear to have some real ball striking ability.