• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2020/21 New Zealand Domestic Season

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
From memory Jamieson was barely picking much wickets before in plunket shield before he was flown over to Aussie as a replacement.

That was an excellent call by the management. Since then he been unstoppable. I think the NZ management know a thing or two about picking players. Can't say anyone's disappointed recently. Glad they're not going by runs and wickets at domestic level to pick their best XI.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I know Stead is notoriously conservative in his selections, but I wonder if CDG's position is under threat. If Rippon keeps scoring runs and they trust him at 7, a 7-11 of Rippon, Jamieson, Southee, Wagner, and Boult could form a pretty exciting bowling attack.

Last edited:

Immenso

I do like this approach and comments by Stead.

Although conveniently there is a huge wad of incoming A games before the tests, this is not usually the case, so don't know what he would have done in a more normal year.

I totally switch off from the sport during winter, so was surprised reading above about people picking him to come straight in at 5. With Nicholls incumbent and all. 6 months off means total non-recall of Nicholls' lean streak mentioned somewhere above.

But anyway, I think a full winter off for the players means lean streaks can be ignored/reset. Unless Nicholls continues the lean streak this spring in Plunket and NZA level, Hmmmm, to hard for me to call, thank god there are some A series to sort this out.

Edit. I'm talking test cricket only above.

Immenso

Just looked at the schedules in Cricket Archive.
So complicated I had to pout in into table form for my own understanding.

If the schedules are correct. Then there won't be many 'A' opportunities before the first test of the summer. Just 2 matched by NZ A v West Indians touring XI.

Then NZ 'A' will play 2 series at the same time v WI A and Pak A. So presumably 2 different NZ A squads.
Although the same squad could play the last tests of both the WI A and Pak A series. One match starts 12th and the other 17th of Dec, so 1 day between end of first and start of second match, but need to get from Nelson to Whangarei. (My table is limited by rows - week starting Monday)

NZA Opps.JPG

inafoxhole

Cricket Spectator
Just looked at the schedules in Cricket Archive.
So complicated I had to pout in into table form for my own understanding.

If the schedules are correct. Then there won't be many 'A' opportunities before the first test of the summer. Just 2 matched by NZ A v West Indians touring XI.

Then NZ 'A' will play 2 series at the same time v WI A and Pak A. So presumably 2 different NZ A squads.
Although the same squad could play the last tests of both the WI A and Pak A series. One match starts 12th and the other 17th of Dec, so 1 day between end of first and start of second match, but need to get from Nelson to Whangarei. (My table is limited by rows - week starting Monday)

View attachment 26209
The Dec 12 match v the West Indies is an NZ XI match, not an NZ 'A' match, so that's how they'll swing that one.

Immenso

So 2 NZ 'A' games before first test.

But, 5 NZ 'A' games if wanting to make a change by the time of the Pakistan test series.

Immenso

So, with that in mind, Plunket Shield 4 rounds are quite important. Where is Henry Nicholls?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We already have Wagner and now Conway's debut imminent, have to admit some reservations on adding a third Saffer to the NZ side, esp when he's the most mercenary of the lot.

From Rippon's wikipedia:
Born in Cape Town, South Africa.
Made his Twenty20 debut for Cape Cobras against the Knights in the 2010–11 Standard Bank Pro20. The following season, Rippon made his first-class debut for Western Province against KwaZulu-Natal Inland.
Rippon signed for English county side Sussex for the 2012 season. Rippon has suggested he may want to qualify for England.
In July 2018, he was named in the Netherlands' ODI squad, for their series against Nepal.
He is now eligible to be selected by the Blackcaps.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Stead is notoriously conservative in his selections, but I wonder if CDG's position is under threat. If Rippon keeps scoring runs and they trust him at 7, a 7-11 of Rippon, Jamieson, Southee, Wagner, and Boult could form a pretty exciting bowling attack.
Give him 18 months or a couple of years, I still think CDG is a lock at this stage whilst he's doing a decent job with the ball and has the ability to take games away from the other team pretty quickly. But yeah it'd be more than handy to have a guy who can bat and offer penetration with the spinning ball. Whether that's Rippon, I dunno how his batting is and whether this week has been a bolt from the blue

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is colin's spot in the team really even under scrutiny? He's done extremely well so far from memory.

vandem

International 12th Man

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Is colin's spot in the team really even under scrutiny? He's done extremely well so far from memory.
What use are NZ going to get from CdG's bowling if Jamieson were to become a very potent player-of-the-match seamer and good No. 8 bat in our typically bouncy green home conditions, that's why people are starting to bring Rippon and Phillips into the conversation more than CdG letting us down.